Mixing front pair and center with different brands?

Shock

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit of advice please.

I have a 5.1 system with BK XLS200 sub. I have just upgraded the front two speakers to Monitor Audio Silver RX6.

The center speaker I have been using is the Tannoy FC Centre. (The RX6s replaced older matching Tannoy floorstanding speakers).

tannoy_mercury_fc_custom__centre_speaker_dark_oak_in_good_condition_1525859045_a4d9ff32.jpg

I would change the center to Monitor Audio too, but the cabinet I have has a maximum width of 48 cms to place a center or I would need to place it on the floor or change the TV stand. Not really fond of doing either.

Just thinking what would be other's opinion be? Get matching monitor audio ones and place it on the carpet? Change TV Cabinet. Or Tannoys?

Does anyone know of a monitor audio center that is less than 48cm wide? If there is one would that be better than the Tannoy?

Thanks..

Ideally you want matching range however I used non matching for a while and it was fine, but the center I used was high quality one. Eventually got matching one

Room correction should in theory help blend the speakers a little better too.

Hi all,

Bit of advice please.

I have a 5.1 system with BK XLS200 sub. I have just upgraded the front two speakers to Monitor Audio Silver RX6.

The center speaker I have been using is the Tannoy FC Centre. (The RX6s replaced older matching Tannoy floorstanding speakers).

View attachment 1562049

I would change the center to Monitor Audio too, but the cabinet I have has a maximum width of 48 cms to place a center or I would need to place it on the floor or change the TV stand. Not really fond of doing either.

Just thinking what would be other's opinion be? Get matching monitor audio ones and place it on the carpet? Change TV Cabinet. Or Tannoys?

Does anyone know of a monitor audio center that is less than 48cm wide? If there is one would that be better than the Tannoy?

Thanks..

The outgoing Silver C150 which is now on sale, ex-display model going very low. Which finish you require, black oak? This is 45cm wide and ideal to be used with your RX6 pair.

However if you were to change av-cabinet this larger wider 3-way model would make lot more sense again for very low cost. Big step up from C150 as members have reported, but it`s large!

The outgoing Silver C150 which is now on sale, ex-display model going very low. Which finish you require, black oak? This is 45cm wide and ideal to be used with your RX6 pair.
Thank you, the links are rather helpful.

Didn't consider the silver c150, it does seem to fit in to the cabinet and might be the answer.

Decisions..

Thank you, the links are rather helpful.

Didn't consider the silver c150, it does seem to fit in to the cabinet and might be the answer.

Decisions..

Well fellow member upgraded he´s center channel to C150 from smaller one and he has RX 8 Silvers. He was very happy with the upgrade, fully worth the money. At least tonally the Silver C150 would be closer to your Silvers than with Tannoy and it´s better speaker in many ways.

If in doubt chat with the shop so you can have return option if not happy. SSAV has quite many C150 on their site as ex-display for much lower price!

57db67f5-00a9-40d1-9532-cf9fbd008807-jpeg.1112895

Thanks again,

Have just arranged the purchase of a MA Silver RX center in this forum. But it won't fit inside the cabinet but it might be an even better fit sound wise.

These silver C150s would fit.

Could buy both I suppose, and then eventually sell the C150s on when I change the TV stand.

I would advice against putting speaker inside cabinet as that will have negative effect how it sounds, but if you don`t have any other option then you need to go that route.

Buy RX Centre and buy new tv stand which allows you to have the speaker on top of your av-unit not inside and also higher.

Consider floor tv stand with the cabinet you have now so you get the tv higher. It goes behind and under your av-cabinet. If it has feets and small space under then this could work

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ha ha.. having just looked on Amazon this might be the perfect answer if the boss agrees.

No need to change the cabinet, just move the TV up a bit. The cabinet does have feets and space underneath.. just never thought about this idea!

Thanks

Ha ha.. having just looked on Amazon this must be the perfect answer if the boss agrees.

No need to change the cabinet, just move the TV up a bit.

Thanks

Check the model that offers you the most adjustability height wise and has the correct VESA specs for your tv. :)

Sounds like it`s going to work great then!

Check the model that offers you the most adjustability height wise and has the correct VESA specs for your tv. :)

Sounds like it`s going to work great then!

All done,

The RX Centre under the TV now. TV is on a stand only thing is as its only a 55" its a further few inches away.

Thanks for the advice.

DSC_0143.JPG

All done,

The RX Centre under the TV now. TV is on a stand only thing is as its only a 55" its a further few inches away.

Thanks for the advice.

View attachment 1581693

Great! 👏 Did you run your av-receiver setup again and made the necessary chages (crossovers etc)?

How does the RX Centre sounds compared to old one?

Thanks, I did use the set up again & confirm the speakers are set to small but it's a very old amp and doesn't have room correction just distance.

May look at getting a new amp one the chip issue is sorted.

The RX center is good, but I won't say it's day and night difference. It's clearer and the voice sounds a bit lower toned if that makes sense. But more importantly it matches the tone of the fronts.

Thanks, I did use the set up again & confirm the speakers are set to small but it's a very old amp and doesn't have room correction just distance.

May look at getting a new amp one the chip issue is sorted.

The RX center is good, but I won't say it's day and night difference. It's clearer and the voice sounds a bit lower toned if that makes sense. But more importantly it matches the tone of the fronts.

Seems like it`s fixed, just check it`s made after May.

Check crossovers for speakers in the menu. Small and 80hz is the basic which will work fine with those RX.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom