Mixing Different Pairs Of Floorstanders In 6.1 Setup

Buck Steele

OK, so I've got a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 5i floor standing speakers coming, which I'm going to use as my front pair in a 6.1 setup.

Could I use a different pair for my rear pair or would the soundstage be too negatively effected by the tonal difference?

The exact pair I'm thinking of getting are Mordaunt Short 908i.

I am aware that I would need matching centre speakers for each pair, it's mixing the front and rear I'm uncertain about.

a8ch

OK, so I've got a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 5i floor standing speakers coming, which I'm going to use as my front pair in a 6.1 setup.

Could I use a different pair for my rear pair or would the soundstage be too negatively effected by the tonal difference?

The exact pair I'm thinking of getting are Mordaunt Short 908i.

I am aware that I would need matching centre speakers for each pair, it's mixing the front and rear I'm uncertain about.
I personally dont think you will have a problem, I tend to take the `all matching scenerio' with a pinch of salt, and a cracking marketing pitch, and heres why.

Imo unless all the drive units are the same size, placed in exactly the same size cabinet, are the same design etc, then any hope of the same`tonal' characteristics go out of the window.

Indeed providing you can balance the different sensitivities that will exist, really that just leaves just how bothered you are on matching appearance and manufacturer :smashin:.

diablo

With a lot of more modern AV amps there is an inbuilt digital graphic equaliser. I use the one on my Onkyo to give a fuller tone to my front speakers and it is very effective, even for music.

The equalisation will be turned off if you use direct sources though, so it is better to match the native tone of the speakers if possible. Can you arrange to hear the MS speakers before you buy ?

Top Bottom