Mixing Dell RAM with non-Dell RAM

danjaq

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R with 3GB of RAM (1 x 1GB & 1 x 2GB). It came with Windows 7 (64-bit) and I'm thinking that it could do with a boost!

Dell want to charge me £70 for another 2GB. The same spec RAM with Crucial is £27!!

Will there be any problems running differently branded (exactly the same spec) RAM modules please?

Thanks in advance.

K.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
It will not be a problem at all :thumbsup:

What matters is you get the right type of memory and your motherboard can support the increase (some motherboards are limited to 4gb of RAM etc) :thumbsup:

danjaq

Hi. Thanks for the reply!

I believe the cheaper Crucial one is the same as the more expensive Dell one ... would appreciate someone confirming this (links to both below):

Dell: DELL 2 GB Memory Module for Inspiron N5010/15R - 1333 MHz - Non ECC : Computer Components | Dell UK

Crucial: 2GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop/Notebook, CT1429109 from Crucial.com

FYI. The motherboard's max is 4GB (2 slots). I have 3GB (so 1 slot with 1GB and the other with 2GB).

I assume the extra 1GB will make a noticable difference?!

Cheers all!!

It will not be a problem at all :thumbsup:

What matters is you get the right type of memory and your motherboard can support the increase (some motherboards are limited to 4gb of RAM etc) :thumbsup:

planetse

Going from 3gig to 4gig will not give you any real noticeable increase but for the price of RAM (not from the robbing likes of Dell) it’s worth doing.

I’m sure your MOBO will take a max of 8gig but 4gig sticks bump the price up big time.

Running 8gig in my MX15, helps for playing games and CAD.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Yep that will be fine, it's cheaper because it's value RAM, which will not really be of any matter to you unless you are gaming or anything where the timings will be important.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom