• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

mixing DDR RAM?

ocdwhiteboard

I'm about to upgrade my main PC and was wondering about dual channel RAM, specifically, can I use the 2x256MB sticks I have now with another 2x 512MB sticks to get 1.5GB of dual channel memory or do all 4 sticks have to match?

thanks
owain

The Dude

Distinguished Member
dont quote me on this :devil: but i'm fairly sure as long as the two channels match you should be ok.

ocdwhiteboard

well, i'll probably just give it a go as i'm getting a pair of 512s any way, if the 256s work then fine. if not, ebay :)

Supersonic

That sounds about right to me, each memory channel (i.e. one pair of DIMM sockets) has to comprise the same RAM modules, but the channels themselves can differ.

I have an nforce NF7-S which only has 3 dimm sockets, but you can put a single 512 in socket 1 (a single socket channel) and pair it with 2x256 in the other 2 sockets (a 2-socket channel) to make up 1Gb.

mjn

Distinguished Member
On some motherboards, using all 4 DIMM slots can result in reduced Mhz, sometime as low as 166mhz.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom