1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixing and matching speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Craig, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My system - see below - is nearing completion and I just need to add a centre, rears and a sub to complete it all

It had been my intention to go for somethign 'discrete' like the VM1's, or the Kef Eggs or something along those lines for the remaining speakers duties.

However, I'm starting to get messages that I am gonna have a sound like a dogs dinner if I match my Dynaudio's with the above mentioned packages.

The problem, as always, is one of compromise: adding a Dynaudio centre, rears and sub would blow my budget by a massive amount, and even it were to be my long term aim, whihc it probably is, the short to medium term demands something more affordable (for me, at least)

So........has anyone had satisfactory results by mixing the speaker manufacturers, and are there any major do's / don'ts / stating the bleeding obvious tips that I should be aware of????

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    It's ok to have different makes off speaker at the front and back but they must be the same make for each sound stage ie all dynaudio fronts and all mission rears imo. My set up has all Linn fronts amd mission rears. As long as each area has the same voicing as the sound pans across them then you can get away with it. My system works quite well imo (even with my very inexpensive rears).
    I'd recomend you spend the largest proportion of your budget on your fronts (including matching centre) and buy inexpensive rears. The rears are more for effects and giving a sense of being imersed in sound and you can get away with spending less on them. The only weakness I have found is when listening to multi channel music they're not really up to the job. I tend to listen to music in stereo though so haven't felt the need to upgrade as yet as they cope very well with movies.
    I'd shop around for a subwoofer to match the speakers you eventually go for. You may well save a bit of money going for a different make of sub to the dynaudio and not compromise on the quality of sound getting possibly equal or similar performance for less money.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I would echo a lot of what Hawklord has to say. Your Dynaudio's are supposed to be, if not coloured, uniquely voiced (I havent heard them, there isn't anyone that sells them up here). If this is the case, then only a Dynaudio centre will do, and rears, too. A sub can be from another manufacturer, but Dynaudio are suppodes to make good subs, too.

Russell

4. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hawklord and Russraf. Thanks for your comments :smashin:

Can you hear that??

Listen carefully........

.........it's the sound of my budget smashing into a thousand pieces

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    If you have a budget in mind we may be able to identify some of the usual suspects for you to audition. Why are you specifically looking at dynaudio? there are plenty of other makes around that may be more suitable for similar or less money:)
    I wouldn't morry too much you can always buy in bits as funds become available. I'd start with the fronts, then the rears and finally a suitable subwoofer to complement them all.

6. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hawklord.

Thanks ! I'm away on work for a few weeks, but before I left I auditioned speakers for my system. My main prioirity is 2 channel, and I chose the Dynaudio's only on this basis. When get back I am going to the shop to my dirty mitts on them.

I suppose I could change my choice for another pair that would allow me integrate a more 'budget friendly' 5.1 channel setup, but to be honest, I don't wish to compromise my stereo performance over multichannel.

I am also rather hampered by the size and layout of my listening room (my sofa is almost up against the rear wall), and therefore - after quite a lot of reading of threads on this forum - I had the impression that a pair of high mounted dipole's would give me the sound field that i require. The dynaudio rears, I had thought, were maybe not a great solution to my current living space.

As regards the bit by bit approach, I may drop the subwoofer for a few months , or see what credit facilities my dealer has.

Thanks for your advice: much appreciated !!

7. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    UPDATE

Just thinking here, I am using my Roksan Kandy amp to power the Dynaudio fronts, via the pre-out on the Yamaha, and the Yamaha will power the centre and surround speakers.

Does this make the issue of matching a little more redundant, as I have already 'mixed' my amplification ??

Thanks

Craig

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would think it will make to much difference but you should at least get a Dynaudio centre speaker and then all the most used speakers will be tonally the same regardless of amplification :D