1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixing and Matching MS Avants - Advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by allengn, Nov 18, 2004.

1. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would welcome advice please.

I have a Yamaha RX-V640RDS AV receiver and am now looking for standmount speakers. I'm attracted to the Mordaunt-Shorts Avant range, as they appear to have very good reviews, are reasonably priced and can cope with the output from the amp (85W per channel).

I am considering getting 902's for the fronts, but due to space restrictions in my TV stand (and I don't want to place the centre on top of the TV), am thinking of getting a 304 Centre (along with 302 rear's and a 309 sub).

Please can you advise whether these will work together? As they are from the same manufacturer, and appear to be similar in terms of manufacturing materials etc., logic suggests they will, but would appreciate any further comments / observations / further suggestions?

Also, I understand that whilst retaining the model numbers, the range has undergone some revisions. Again, would older and newer versions work together?

The system will be used approx 50:50 Home cinema / Music (CD/radio)

Thanks in anticipation. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone help? :lease:

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    They will work fine together as we designed them with this in mind. It is worth baring in mind that the 904 is normally even more compact than 902's on stands.
    Ed

4. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tons, many thanks for the response.

Over the weekend, I found a complete Avant Premiere system (with 308 sub) for sale in my local Hi-Fi shop for £250 (reduced from £499; last one in stock).

So, now connected and working. Well impressed, although haven't put any serious volumes through them yet. Also probably need to upgrade to some sensible speaker cable, rather than the cheap stuff I had from my previous set-up. Wife is amazed with the quality of sound from such small speakers.

Tried the remastered 25th Anniversary version of Dark Side of the Moon as a test of the kit. :thumbsup: WOW. :thumbsup:

Having spent over £2k. on TV / Hi-Fi kit during the last few months, need now to replenish the bank balance. However following your comment will be looking to replace the 302's with 902's during the spring / summer next year (appreciate the comment on the 904's, however the wife prefers stand-mount speakers), moving the 302's into the conservatory on the 'B' channel.