Question Mixing 6 and 8 ohm speakers

JemCollector

This is probably a silly question but I’m going to ask it anyway! First, some background info...

I have a Yamaha RX-A 880 which can take speakers with a minimum of 6 ohms; currently connected to it are the rear surrounds (Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000’s) with the fronts, centre and front heights (all Kef @ 8 ohms) being catered for by an Emotiva Basx power amp.

I am considering adding a pair of rear Atmos speakers, my current favourite being the Q Acoustics 7000i series, which are 6 ohms.

Would it cause the Yamaha amp any problems having a pair of 6 ohm and a pair of 8 ohm speakers connected to it?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Nope, totally fine. The amplifier is designed to drive the load and the tiny difference in level and efficiency between the various speakers will be equalised during the auto setup.

JemCollector

That’s as I suspected but I’m glad I asked the question anyway. Thank you for your replies and for clearing that up. Now on with the search for the speakers! 😉

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom