Question Mixing 20 year kit with a new TV

Adrian E

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Trying to support my Dad remotely (150 miles away) in working out what he needs to integrate his new LG OLED48CX TV in with the majority of his AV kit, which is about 20 years old!

We've sacked off the video recorder (I kid you not - still wired up, but unused for at least a decade!) and today (when his TV is being installed later!) he's realised his DVD player only has a SCART output, and no HDMI......so that's going in the bin and I'll find him a disc spinner.

To add to the confusion, he has a 5.1 setup using a Yamaha DSP-E800 processor, which runs the front effect channels via his hifi amp. The processor is a very old bit of kit with no HDMI connections, but does have optical and co-ax. There's a ton of co-ax connections between the old DVD player and the Yamaha box, which I suspect are unnecessary. I've attached a pic of the manual showing what it does have.

Only other bit of (recent) kit is one of the Freesat recorder boxes as a set top box, so that's a straightforward HDMI to TV.

My logic suggests the TV will now act as the hub for HDMI connections and all I need to get for him is an optical cable to go from the TV to the Yamaha box? I presume then if he connects a blu-ray player via HDMI he can choose whether to output audio via the TV speakers, or choose the optical output when he wants the full 5.1 effects.

Am I missing anything obvious/any alternatives?

Under normal circumstances I'd sort it when I next go down, but that's not likely to be till Christmas as things stand, so any advice much appreciated!

Adrian

Attachments

• rear ports.JPG
    rear ports.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 31
You have it all correct. It will work as long as all your devices have optical or Digi coax out to connect to your 20y old receiver.

Your dad might need to change sources manually so harmony could be worthwhile investment to remove confusion from the process.

Thanks for confirming I'm in the right ballpark :)

Hopefully I can talk him through selecting the audio output on the TV to be either internal/external source. Aside from that I think he should be OK as sources are quite limited and the hifi side is dealt with separately,

Think you are on slightly different connectivity plans :)

Assuming the TV will pass a DD5.1 signal via its HDMI Input and Optical Out then yes use the TV as the Hub and that way you will only have to select the Optical Input on the DSP.

Joe

Think you are on slightly different connectivity plans :)

Assuming the TV will pass a DD5.1 signal via its HDMI Input and Optical Out then yes use the TV as the Hub and that way you will only have to select the Optical Input on the DSP.

Joe

Either you or me misunderstood him. But I am pretty sure it is you :p

He wants to use TV as HDMI hub but all sound connectivity will go via parallel path of Coax/Opical to 20 year old AVR (from each device independently).

And it will work :)

Last edited:
:)

I suspect far simpler to not have the parallel connectivity and simply have Source(s) HDMI > TV then TV Optical Out > DSP and no messing about with Harmony or any other control option.

As you say both plans will work.

Joe

I was thinking as per Joe's suggestion, but did read sebna's post as being along those lines lol

Thank you both anyway - TV installed today (he's come off a 20 year old Panasonic LCD with about a 36" screen!) so he's very happy with the picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom