Mixing 2 satalites with normal speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Gadjet, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello,
    I have another delema, with the Pioneer AX-10 I have ordered 2 Mission 737,s. This is for the front 2 and was going to move my presant Tannoy Mercury M2 to be the middle rears. Thus making the back 4 all the same. So, the problem being impossible to use the Tannoy as the middle rear because they protrude far too much from the rear wall making my sofa having to move too far forward( cant have them high, will look ridiculous because of size). So I was going to change my order to buying Keff satelites (6 of them) Which will extremely stretch my budjet.
    But too save a lot of money would it be ok just to leave front 2 as they were,Tannoy and buy only 2 satelites for the middle rear imbetween the other 2 rear Tannoy Mercury,s.
    Buy Keff or any make that you think would work, but thats the main question after all this
    Would 2 satelites be ok in the middle of 2 Tannoy Mercury M2,s at the rear?
    Thank you loads for your advice if you can understand all my going on,
    Phill:confused:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If space is an issue have a look at the Mission bipolar reas. There could well be a problem with tonal matching by mixing two different types of speaker from two different manufacturers.

The other point worth noting is that there should be space between the speakers and your ears and if you are too close to them you will not get the sound effect.

This is why extended surround doesn't work well for people in smallish rooms with bthe settee pushed up against the wall.

3. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This will be my problem soon. Are you saying its not worth going extended if this is the case? Or is it still noticeable but just not perfect?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't found anyone that says it works and several that says it doesn't. In my case the rear speakers would be three inches befind my head and at the maximum, three feet above so I don't see how it is possible to get a balanced sound.

Perhaps, in ceiling speakers might be OK but I can't be bothered to go the the expense and trouble to find out.