• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mixer ( previously Beam )

BigD18t

Distinguished Member
beam-becomes-mixer-microsoft-rebrands-its-twitch-rival-149571020292.jpg
Mixer as it is now known ( previously Beam) is MS new updated streaming service, with low latency response so what you do is seen almost instantly by the viewer.

I've used Beam a few times and it works really well, but they have added into this streams where 4 people in the game can be seen on screen simultaneously which would be awesome for game's like Destiny raids, Wildlands , division.

Microsoft’s Beam renamed to Mixer, adds co-op streaming (update)

I'll be trying it out when i get on next if i can find 3 others to test with.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
It works well (like multiscreen linking basically that was doing the rounds) but audio is duplicated (sometimes more than just by the number of streamers) - hope there is something in the works to eliminate this issue although I can see that being a ballache to implement!

Not sure if audio can be pulled directly from the discord/party chat output, rather than the inputs?

BigD18t

Distinguished Member
No idea, guess we'll have to see how it works when using it, might see if anyone is streaming using the feature now.

rob_brum

Prominent Member
They are streaming E3 in 4K on mixer as well.

If you were lvl 50 on Beam you will get a free years pro membership for Mixer.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I keep seeing @Rorifett is broadcasting now pop up on my ipad / phone etc courtesy of smartglass. He's broadcasting so much these days I daren't browse through the Babestation channels of an evening just in case he's ventured out a bit more....;)

McNab

Prominent Member
I broadcast once using beam, just to try it out. Someone I know always seems to be broadcasting, I'm not sure why.

I thought I'd give mixer a try, but all I seem to get is an error message and told to try later.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I thought I'd give mixer a try, but all I seem to get is an error message and told to try later.

Were you playing really badly or something......? ;)

McNab

Prominent Member
Were you playing really badly or something......? ;)

Haha :) No, not really.

Personally I think it was due to me being so awesome that they knew the network would crash with the amount of people logging on to watch me :)

I did actually get it working the other day. When it works, it's easy to do and seems to work quite well. For me though, I'm not really sure what the point is as I don't think anyone would be interested in watching me play games.

rowedav

Distinguished Member
I've been having a little play around with this today. Seems like a pretty good platform. I was watching a PUBG stream just now and Mike Ybarra was in the chat (@Qwik). I pinged him to say how hyped for Scorpio I was lol, and he responded to say he and the team can't wait to show everyone more. Pretty good to have that interaction be possible. Pretty cool imo.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I've been having a little play around with this today. Seems like a pretty good platform. I was watching a PUBG stream just now and Mike Ybarra was in the chat (@Qwik). I pinged him to say how hyped for Scorpio I was lol, and he responded to say he and the team can't wait to show everyone more. Pretty good to have that interaction be possible. Pretty cool imo.

That is brilliant. Like you say the fact the likes of Ybarra and especially Phil respond and interact with the fans on twitter etc is excellent. Statements like "This is the we heard you console" from the Scorpio reveal carry a lot more weight given such interaction and a clear intent to understand what the fans want and a desire to deliver it. Can't wait for E3 as think they will have a few major surprises to blow us away.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Very impressed with Mixer for Broadcasting and also then saving the videos.

Gave it a go earlier for a full match of Titanfall and found the quality quite good for Broadcasting and then you just view your broadcasts and can download them.

Test video here

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
It excels in the ftl format too, that low latency works wonders when it works. Bit dicky just now but think ms will be pushing to have it as near as perfect as soon as possible

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Very impressed with Mixer for Broadcasting and also then saving the videos.

Gave it a go earlier for a full match of Titanfall and found the quality quite good for Broadcasting and then you just view your broadcasts and can download them.

Test video here

Is 720p the max it can do on 1S?

rob_brum

Prominent Member
Is 720p the max it can do on 1S?
Did you goto 'advanced broadcast settings'? I'm sure there is something there for HD broadcast (I might be wrong though!)

EDIT: Opps think I misread your post, if you are streaming if you goto advanced settings there are more options.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Mine is set on Highest but the video above has been created by downloading the previous broadcast which I assume is lower Res than the stream otherwise file sizes would be huge.

You can save all broadcasts for up to 14 days which is good and much better than the twitch option I used in the past.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I was just wondering the limitations is all really.

Got a feeling as they're pushing 4k that the Scorpio mixer will be 4k which would be superb.

rob_brum

Prominent Member
I'm 99% sure they confirmed 4k streaming as well on scorpio.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom