Mixed Use 55 inch TV - advice needed

neil.belton1972

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning all, being going round in circles looking at the TV options and seem to have come down to 55 Inch Samsung Q80T or the LG CX.

The uses are mainly Sky Q, especially live sport, with Apple TV supplying Netflix, Disney and other catchup services, bit of Xbox X and PS4 gaming and occasional connection to PC for bit of gaming.

Now im sure both TVs would do me but will i notice the benefits of spending a little extra on the CX?

Morning all, being going round in circles looking at the TV options and seem to have come down to 55 Inch Samsung Q80T or the LG CX.

The uses are mainly Sky Q, especially live sport, with Apple TV supplying Netflix, Disney and other catchup services, bit of Xbox X and PS4 gaming and occasional connection to PC for bit of gaming.

Now im sure both TVs would do me but will i notice the benefits of spending a little extra on the CX?

OLED and LCD tech has pros and cons so it's hard to say, although I'd ask what has made you settle on these two? What about the Sony XG9505, this is better than the Q80T.

I was wondering about the XG9505 but i didnt like the look of the smart tv interface and was thinking along lines of this years models BUT is it a good TV and specifically for live football?

As a last year model i can get it cheaper i guess

I was wondering about the XG9505 but i didnt like the look of the smart tv interface and was thinking along lines of this years models BUT is it a good TV and specifically for live football?

As a last year model i can get it cheaper i guess

The smart interface is great now it's Oreo and will be moving to 9.0 soon. Football looks great.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Ive normally gone Samsung but getting a good TV under 1000 is tempting i must admit, whilst i like the OLED idea not sure the 1700 quid it currently is worth it for what i realistically need it for (kicking myself for not picking up the C9)

There's a lot to think about when buying a TV, and before you can pick out models. Try reading the opening post in my guide here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition particularly the links about panel type and HDR.

If its between an LCD TV using a VA panel and OLED, this is valid:

First decide which technology is suited to you.

Then pick out models based on that. Pick only 2019 ones in the guide since 2020 ones like the two you have picked out are currently overpriced. If its not in the guide, its not good value to buy right now.

Neil - I came on here last year with similar needs to yourself - Motion is better on a Sony TV [ though Dodge may need to confirm this ] - I bought the Sony XF9005 for £842 having never owned a smart tv previously - You'd be using the Sky Q interface mostly anyway - everything can be accessed via the Sky console [ more or less ] - Football is excellent , you can follow the flight of the ball etc - I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Sony XG to you - My Daughter owns an LG , ok it's a 2017 or 2018 model , it having an IPS screen the picture is naturally darker , motion on that particular model is poor , cannot comment on new LGs .
I haven't dabbled much with HDR but I can tell you that Sky Movies in UHD or BBC iPlayer in 4k looks stunning - Sky Football is just superb without bothering with pressing the red button to upgrade to UHD .

Neil - I came on here last year with similar needs to yourself - Motion is better on a Sony TV [ though Dodge may need to confirm this ] - I bought the Sony XF9005 for £842 having never owned a smart tv previously - You'd be using the Sky Q interface mostly anyway - everything can be accessed via the Sky console [ more or less ] - Football is excellent , you can follow the flight of the ball etc - I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Sony XG to you - My Daughter owns an LG , ok it's a 2017 or 2018 model , it having an IPS screen the picture is naturally darker , motion on that particular model is poor , cannot comment on new LGs .
I haven't dabbled much with HDR but I can tell you that Sky Movies in UHD or BBC iPlayer in 4k looks stunning - Sky Football is just superb without bothering with pressing the red button to upgrade to UHD .

Thanks Skye thats really helpful, given the price of the Sony against the price of the others if i can find one with the 5 year warranty i suspect that may be the choice

The Sony XF9005 eventually went down to £799 - £749 [ I bought mine from Richer Sounds Glasgow with a 6 year guarantee ] - they do have an XG9505 showing ' erratic stock ' @ £999 .

I had to make a decision whether to buy the LG B9 OLED or not and after lots and lots of thought I opted for the Sony XF [ only because of fears of burn-in - whether real or not ] .

Dodge is a fantastic poster [ I really don't know how he does it ] and gives so much valuable advice to so many people . There is also a huge amount of information on individual TVs once you've made your purchase regarding settings etc .

It's a huge investment for someone like me so I had to feel I was making the correct decision - so far I have no regrets whatsoever .

yeah i know what you mean, I was going to get a C9 and waited to long slightly worried about burn in, then a Q90R, again waited too long that went, then B9 thats pretty much gone but same burn in concerns. I know this years tvs are not discounted enough yet to a proper level. Maddening, not so much them going out of stock more my decision making lol

Your right Dodge and many others are fonts of knowledge been looking on here, HDTVtest and Ratings

It's a shame that the XG9505 hasn't come down from £999 - the 55" XH9005 is also £999 with RS - when you jump to the XH9505 you see an increase of £400 and I'm not sure it would be worth it for your needs .
I'd be looking into the XG9505 or XH9005 - both at £999 from Richer Sounds with a 6 year guarantee .
Or the LG B9 if you opt for OLED - found one for £1098 from Very.com .

Ultimately it's your decision to make .

Interestingly on RS this morning both the CX Q90T and the XH9505 have been reduced 100 quid

I realise you want to buy a TV just now but in my experience of watching prices drop [ which if I'm being honest was only last year so is limited !! ] I found the best price for me came in October - yes there's Black Friday etc but for me the best price for the XF9005 happened before BF - during BF it went up again .....then dropped in the New Year [ 2020 ] . However , the gamble you take [ depending on TV ] is stock and whether the shop still has one .
I looked at Richer Sounds but Crampton and Moore was another site I watched .
For me , delivery was a huge problem- our permanent home is on the Isle of Skye but we were living near Elgin when I bought the TV - no many firms are interested in delivering to Northern Scotland so you're restricted in where you buy .
Keep an eye on Costco prices as well depending on your location .

Was a bit scary bringing the TV home in the car but we did it .

I realise you want to buy a TV just now but in my experience of watching prices drop [ which if I'm being honest was only last year so is limited !! ] I found the best price for me came in October - yes there's Black Friday etc but for me the best price for the XF9005 happened before BF - during BF it went up again .....then dropped in the New Year [ 2020 ] . However , the gamble you take [ depending on TV ] is stock and whether the shop still has one .
I looked at Richer Sounds but Crampton and Moore was another site I watched .
For me , delivery was a huge problem- our permanent home is on the Isle of Skye but we were living near Elgin when I bought the TV - no many firms are interested in delivering to Northern Scotland so you're restricted in where you buy .
Keep an eye on Costco prices as well depending on your location .

Was a bit scary bringing the TV home in the car but we did it .
Timing will always be an issue, i was hoping for a bank holiday reduction which some sets seem to be getting on RS and now John Lewis too, appreciate too the bargins currently in the 2019 rather than 2020 tvs but yeah stock beginning to go, i will pull the trigger before weeks out only hold up is my own indecision sure id be happy with which ever of the sony, samsung or LG

Just to close this one off and to thank everyone for their contribution, after the Q90T dropped £200 quid to 1399 yesterday I bought it from John Lewis :)

I know If id have waited but longer till Black Friday it might have dropped more but you take your chances.

Just to close this one off and to thank everyone for their contribution, after the Q90T dropped £200 quid to 1399 yesterday I bought it from John Lewis :)

I know If id have waited but longer till Black Friday it might have dropped more but you take your chances.

I'm not sure the prices will fall as much as previous years as stock is lower and prices are already quite keen. enjoy your new tv.

I'm not sure the prices will fall as much as previous years as stock is lower and prices are already quite keen. enjoy your new tv.

Thanks, and thanks for taking the time to engage :) I know ive end up not buying one i mentioned at the start for the timing of a price drop worked for me :) and to be honest i felt the need to treat meself lol

Thanks, and thanks for taking the time to engage :) I know ive end up not buying one i mentioned at the start for the timing of a price drop worked for me :) and to be honest i felt the need to treat meself lol

Got to go with your gut. Pros and cons to all these sets so pick what you feel the happiest with. Enjoy!

The Q90 is a brilliant TV , better overall than the Sony XF90 according to R'Tings - Congratulations , mate - here's to many years happy viewing !!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom