Mixed Reception

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by denisbyr, Feb 7, 2005.

1. denisbyr

denisbyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, newbie here and as you will quickly gather not very clued up. Please help me with this problem. Just bought a new Sharp LCD (15SH1E ) and am pairing it with a new Pioneer DVR 420H.
    Problem is this.
    The dvd has a built in tuner which I have set up and all existing channels transferred to the dvd player no problem.A good quality scart connects AV1 to TV scart.All goes swimmingly until I swtch off dvd then picture breaks up as if antenna has poor connection.Sharp manual not very helpful.

(1 )Straight forward antenna connection to tv =brilliant picture
    (2)Antenna into dvd + Antenna from dvd to tv with dvd switched on =brilliant picture
    (3) Switch off dvd= lousy picture
    I hope there is a simple answer. :confused:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    You need to have an arial cable between the DVD and the TV as well as the scart, the same way you do for a Video recorder.

Once you switch off the DVD the tuner is switched off. Hence you have to rely on the TV tuner, and if you are not passing through the antenna signal from the DVD you'll get a lousy picture...PJ

3. denisbyr

denisbyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but as I say , perhaps not clearly,in (2), there is an aeriel between dvd and tv .Should that not transmit an adequate signal ?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    OK, misread your post, yes it should transmit an adequate signal. When you say switch off, do you put in standby or completely switch off? And is there a difference if you can do either?

Either way the DVD should just be acting like a connector when passing the antenna signal through, hence I'm as confused as you are as to why it should only do so when switched on. If it persists, another option may be to split the antenna signal but that will weaken the signal to both of course.

Maybe someone else will come up with a theory!

Good luck! ...PJ