Mixed Nominal Inpedance Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ch3csc, Jul 1, 2015.

1. ch3csc

ch3csc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Can anyone help me with this query?:

I have a Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver with the following 5.1.2 setup:

Front L/R - Mission M71 (8 ohm)
    Atmos: Onkyo SKH-410 (6 Ohm)
    Centre, sub, and surround: Wharfdale DX1 HCP (4 ohm)

Everything sounds fine with no issues but I just wanted to check that a mix of different impedance is acceptable?... I have the receiver set to 4 ohm.

Thanks in advance!

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I would set the receiver back to 8 ohms to be honest since the 4 ohm setting does nothing careful use of the volume control can not do. But, having it set on 4ohm has the potential to reduce sound quality. So no harm leaving it on 8 ohm but potential gains by doing it.
    If it all sounds fine to you then no real issue having different impedance's on the different outputs. Personally I would want the front 3 speakers to at least be the same make and model. In fact I would probably ditch the wharfedale centre and just run the front L/R speakers with them creating a phantom centre instead.

3. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Mmm interesting one. As said before I'd be more concerned with the differences in speaker. Some impedance issues will depend on the design and construction of the amplifier, however an av usually is a fairly integrated affair, everything is between 4 and 8 ohms so likely setting of the spl will take care of sound abnormality as far as possible. Speakers however will not me timbre matched which for me is more of an issue. That I'd address in one way or another.