Mixed Montior Audio RS / RX Set-up - ok?

eddiem74

So I am upgrading my KEF 3005's to a Monitor Audio set-up. I was going after the deals on the RS range however was having trouble getting a complete set in the same finish.

So I am now looking at getting the following:

Fronts: RS8 (Walnut)
Centre: RX LCR (Walnut)
Surround: RX FX (Walnut)
Sub: AW12 (Piano Black)

The Kef's were my first move into separates, and were purchased purely on the great reviews at the time. I am by no means an expert in this area, and tend to go on recommendations/reviews, as I often cannot demo the speakers.

So my move to MA is based on the good deals around, and many happy avforums customers.

Anything I shoud take into consideration with the above ? :confused:

Thanks for reading. :smashin:

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't mix an match the RS and RX seiries. The sub would be fine as it's dealing with a small section of the frequency range on its own. The other speakers however, are different. They're all dealing with mostly same frequency range, and need to gel together in order to produce a convincing soundfield. The new RX's are much smoother than the older RS, which is very noticable. Keep the front 3 the same, whichever range you decide to go for. Rear speakers normaly sound a bit thinner than the fronts as they're smaller boxes, making them sound more mid/treble focussed. Because of this, I'd say you could probably get away with using RXFX with RS fronts, but I wouldn't recommend the opposite.

Last edited:

Moolers

I'm in the same boat. Had planned to get the RXLCR because of the limited finishes available. Had assumed that the best match (for Black Oak RS8s) would be the RX centre....considering that RSLCR are not readily available in all finishes what would be the best compromise?

Slighty concerned now!!!

eddiem74

Well, what started as an unplanned upgrade due to deals on the RS range, now has me looking at the new RX range in piano black. :eek: :suicide:

Not quite sure how I got here..........:rolleyes: :)

Andrew K

Banned
I'm in the same boat. Had planned to get the RXLCR because of the limited finishes available. Had assumed that the best match (for Black Oak RS8s) would be the RX centre....considering that RSLCR are not readily available in all finishes what would be the best compromise?

Slighty concerned now!!!

We have a few sets available in Black Oak - RS8/RS6/RS1/RS-FX/RS-LCR/RSW-12

In fact Black Oak is the only colour we could make up an AV package in now.

AudioFan

Standard Member
Hi,

I've just ordered the following:

RS8 (walnut) for the front
RXLCR (walnut) for the centre
RS1 (Walnut) for the rears

Having read Dav1dF comments about mixing RS/RX front's i'm now concerned this may be a bad move. Will the sound really be that noticeable? Does anyone know where I can get the RSLCR in walnut? Otherwise, i'll probably have to try and get the RSCLR in another colour to the others which isn't ideal but i guess will have to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My speakers don't ship until Wednesday so will try and sort this out today and see what colour options are available again from the store I purchased from.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom