1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mix room setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by xer0mark, May 3, 2005.

1. xer0mark

xer0mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all

I have a fairly tight mixing space which is basically a 10ft x 13ft room. I have a pair of Mackie HR626's, which are obviously oversized for this room. I will be mixing in generally a half-space setting - close to the wall but not in a corner. My problem is - the low end of my mixes are missing ... and if you move towards the middle / back of the room - they are present. I assume this is due to cancellation or the lack of acoustical treatment. Im wondering if acoustical treatment will even help this - or If i need a bigger room? Where could I start as far as treating this so that I can hear my mixes? I was thinking about putting plenty of absorbtion on wall behind the monitors, but then where should I place diffusion .... or bass traps? I have tried reading up on acoustics but it seems very problem-specific. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Mike C

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    studio acoustics are different to home cinema acoustics, we do a package called AcousticTools which was a kit that contained skylines, abflectors and basstraps, these were recommended to be placed with the sKylines to the rear, the basstraps in the corners and the abflectors at the first reflection points.

I would recommend looking on www.rpginc.com for more details on studio acoustics.

3. xer0mark

xer0mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would assume that acoustically treating a mix studio for cinema sound, is much like treating a home theater - for cinema sound. Perhaps I forgot to mention that im not working on music in this room. So what would I have to do ... considering that I have 2 full range speakers instead of a 5.1 setup? the bass sweet spot is still 2 feet behind my mixing position.

4. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  5. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You could also make up some makeshift absorbers from curtains or other material try putting them behind the speakers and see what difference that makes..place them at the sides of the room in line with the speakers and on the reflection points too, you may find that that helps a lot, if you can get a bookcase behind you with lots of books at different depths that will give you an idea of diffusion, the deeper the case the lower the frequency it will be absorbing..

Do you have a budget for treatments?

If you can give us a plan for your room layout it will be easier..

6. xer0mark

xer0mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speakers are 1.5 feet from wall, listening area is arms' length from speakers.

7. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    move your speakers back or your self back, see if that makes a difference to start with, ideally you need to have an equilateral triangle with the speakers at the base of the triangle and you at the top of it, that should give you the sweet spot.

here is a good article on this subject

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

8. xer0mark

xer0mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am beginning to believe that these monitors are not meant for a room this small. No matter what I do - I cannot bring the sweetspot (specifically the bottom end) any closer than 3ft behind the listening position. If I were to mix from that position, these monitors would almost be acting like far-fields because I would be mixing almost 6 feet from them. Is the only option to choose a larger room?

9. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    i would have to ask someone in the office, as i cant answer that! i will see if i can find out for you, sorry i cant be anymore help though

10. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    discussed this now, seems that you need to be at least 3 feet from the speakers, ideally in your room 2feet is correct, but as you have larger speakers than the room can handle its knackering that for you, so yeah, either a larger room or smaller speakers.

Get me a room plan and i will run it and get you your ideal placements, full room dimensions needed though!

11. merseysider

merseysider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mattym,

Thank you for posting my article from audioholics.com site. although I don't think that it will help our friend xer0mark, though?

He has a couple of acoustic problems working here, not the least of which are the Room Modes along with their quarter wavelength cancellation points - front to back of the (13'-0" long) room, especially. If possible, he should avoid making his listening position 3'-3" off either the front or back walls as these are the 1/4 wavelength cancellation positions. Further, he should avoid listening in the center of the room (6'-6") as this is a complex modal position that loads up low frequencies. In a room so shallow, he really doesn't have too many practicable options as far as listening positions, especially when equipment placement is taken into consideration.

The other problem is that, as with many other low to medium priced nearfield monitors, Mackie speakers tend to present more bass than is actually 'going to tape'.

www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/acoustics/HomevsStudioAcoustics.html

Chris

merseysider

12. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi Chris

i pointed him to your article as it explained room acoustics far better than i can!