1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mix & Match SS system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Chris.G, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Chris.G

Chris.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: am now a member :clap: hopefully you can teach me the errors of my ways!!!
    My system
    Amp Awia nw20 (5.1 + DTS) 70 watts per channel £110
    DVD player Playstation2 (I KNOW I KNOW)
    Eltax Sub box 8in (150watts think) £120
    L/R front B&W DM4'S better than my old 100w awia's! (Free) (Gale Cable) on Gale speaker stands
    Center Yamaha NSC120 £26 (Gale Cable)
    Rears Jamo Surounds ??? £12 Gale XL

I'm looking at an eltax AVR-800 for £150 i know its better than what i've got (not hard) but I would just like someone to tell me if its worth the money. Also got £100 to spend on a dvd player. Also the ohm are different i think there all 8ohm's except my yam which is 6ohms May be wrong on the B&W's

2. Chris.G

Chris.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so no advice PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASe I need help! shall I buy the eltax or not? please

3. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your better off getting a Yamaha amp for that money. Richer sounds has some good deals on them. certainly change the rears. Mission M71i's are okay if you cannot afford B+W rears. But if you keep the B+W fronts certainly get a B+W centre speaker as the front speakers need to match most importantly. And thats the reason i'm recommending the Yamaha as an amp as it will do a much better job than the Eltax at giving the B+W's enough juice when they need it. And i know Richer Sounds may say no the Eltax will be okay for the job but thats because the staff make more commission on Eltax gear than they do yamaha.

4. Chris.G

Chris.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks not sure what I want to do with the B&W's as they are about 25-30years old! the rear speakers maybe some think like the gale 3060'S? what Amp do you have in mind for that money(can't see anything on there website) I don't mind buying 2nd hand.

5. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have not been in Richers for a while. But they normally have Yamahas in the stores all the time. i think they may have some DSP 640's for about £199 (were £400) worth that extra little extra cash in my veiw. I have the model it replaced two series back the DSP 620. Plenty of grunt. Wont struggle at higher volumes to. With the age of the B+W's it might be worth getting two pairs of Mission M71'is and a matching mission centre which they should have to. The gales are not bad but the missions are better. And don't belive the staff again on this issue as Gale again are pretty much their own brand stuff, so the staff make more comission on them which makes them want to sell them more. I know this as a friend works for them and i used to work for i rival dealer and people used to bring their gale speakers all the time to listen on our gear. As for a sub for extra bass the mourdant short sub aint bad for the money. Overall thats not a bad system and spread over a couple of months won't cost you much. Thats what i would sell you based on what you have told me. Christ sorry for sounding like a salesman there. Do miss my job though. The Hi-Fi shop iworked for closed down unfortuanly.

6. Chris.G

Chris.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a look but its only 5.1 and seems to lack quite a few other things as well. maybe i'm not looking in the right place :rolleyes: I've attached the spec sheet(is it really that bad?) if it is please shout very loud at me :suicide:

Attached Files:

7. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not bad but remember AMPS are not its speciality its cheaper end speakers they are better known for. And belive me 6.1 ain't the be all and end all. I'm very happy with 5.1 still thats unless you really want 6.1. Just because all the mags shout about it. I had this all the time in the shop. People coming in for certain things because it has the latest new badge stuck on the front. And after speaking to them they did not really need it. Remember 95% of the features you will probaly never ever use again an hour after first putting on the amp. There just there to make the amp seem more impressive than it is. My amp when on is only ever used in Dolby digital, DTS or stereo. Thats it i never use the concert, hall, cinema etc... options to make it sound like those places there not needed. They just make everything sound worse in reality. And also i would rather spend the same amount of money on a good 5.1 amp than a 6.1 amp because when you think about it thebits have got to be cheaper in the 6.1 amp because they have to put alot of extra components in there to do the job. So they are not as high quaility. Secondly guarantee the power supply(transformer in the amp) will not be good enough for the job, as it will be a cheap off the shelf unit. If you aint got a good power supply you are not going to be able to deliver enough power to the speakers especially at higher volumes giving you a bigger risk of blowing your speakers drive units up as the amp cannot cope

8. Chris.G

Chris.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so its like a top of the range skoda(eltax) where as the yam is a middle spec Merc!

9. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a good way of putting it, yeah. Its down to budget though reall. Personally i would wait a couple of months save the extra £50 or so then buy. Christ it took me three years to get my system and that was with staff discount from work to. Problem is you want everything straight away. I bought my amp first with a good pair of front stereo speakers. Listened to everything like that for six months. Then just added over the years. Glad i did that in the end otherwise i could have bought everything at once but it would have been cheaper gear and in the long run you realise that it ain't that good in the end. So just take your time and listen to a few things first rather than buy the first thing you hear. 9 times out of 10 you just end up dissapointed that way

10. Chris.G

Chris.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was me happy to spend £150 on an amp right what di you thinnk of these? onkyo TXSR600 (225) Yamaha RXV640RDS (289) any views welcome :lesson:

11. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personally the onkyo is not bad but the Yamaha is better. And if you wait september is the season for when new equipment comes out and the Yamaha will drop right down in price again. Gives you time to save a little more.

12. Chris.G

Chris.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im off to have a look and a play with the above amps will let you know how it goes! i might even haggle :cool:

13. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Of course there is the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R at £250 that gets darn good reviews, (and looks great as well).

Steff

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    personally i would move the B&W to act as rears and get a matching front 3, Mission M71i and matching centre....Marantz SR 4400, or go really nuts and get a denon 3802/3 for £200 ish S/H as for DVD player (what TV have you got) Pioneer 545/444/454 S/H £80 ish buying S/H you can pick up £1000's worth of kit (new price) for £300 or less! Beamer is selling a nice Marantz amp but not sure how much for have a look in the clasifieds.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    personally i would move the B&W to act as rears and get a matching front 3, Mission M71i and matching centre....Marantz SR 4400, or go really nuts and get a denon 3802/3 for £200 ish S/H as for DVD player (what TV have you got) Pioneer 545/444/454 S/H £80 ish buying S/H you can pick up £1000's worth of kit (new price) for £300 or less! Beamer is selling a nice Marantz amp but not sure how much for have a look in the clasifieds.

16. Chris.G

Chris.G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    too late i've got the Yamaha RXV640RDS and cost £250 oh yes I may know little about all the sound stuff but I can haggle! I have a samsung 32in 100hz T.V. and Sky+
    Tonight i'm not going down the PUB well not in till my other half works out whats different about my setup :nono: :lesson: next a DVD but not in till I've sorted my CCards :oops: