1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mix and match skint option!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by soleus, Oct 20, 2003.

1. soleus

soleus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am just getting into this whole home cinema experience but funds are seriously lacking :(

I currently have a Panny TV with built in amp DD5.1/DTS and the Panny surround speakers (and Panny sub) which came with the TV. I am gradually going to upgrade the audio but I wondered where to start and if I can mix and match my current speakers.

I have some Mission 750SE speakers currently used with my Hi-Fi and old Linn Helix speakers which were excellent in their day (10 years ago or more). Could I rig these up as part of a sound system and just buy an amp and subwoofer for now, or would this sound horrendous.

I am seriously confused as to where to start with a very limited budget and which components I should start buying first in order to gradually improve the audio.:confused:

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sol

2. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is what i do. Bought my amp (marantz 4200) and had every intension of buying a full 5.1 speaker setup but made do with 2 sets of diamond pro's (one pair I "borrowed" of my brother).The center speaker is turned off at the amp.

It may not be the greatest home cinema setup but I swear it sounds better than any one box solution I've heard.

When funds allow a desent sub will be next, then upgrade the speakers. A power amp or amp upgrade after that/ Projector/plasma/ lazy boy chairs/ new house to put it all in. I can dream

The classified area of this forum is a great way to start/upgrade for the financially impaired among us.

I'm sure my two year old would apprieciate an SVS sub for his birthday :D

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    If it was me I'd use the Linns for surrounds and try and get another Mission as a centre that will be a tonal match for the fronts. You could try plugging the lot into your Tv and see what comes out, but there may not be enough amplification to drive them (esp if the Linns are 4ohm).

A receiver could set you back about £200 new from Richer Sounds for a marantz or yamaha. You could probably get a set of missions here that would match. Alternatively a scout on ebay should provide some alternatives.

chris

4. soleus

soleus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help guys and it has got me thinking.

As mentioned above, it is trying to get a tonal match which is going to be the problem. Unfortunately, the Linn speakers are pretty big and I was hoping to use these as fronts, but getting a centre speaker with similar tone could prove problematic to say the least. My lounge is only 15'x15' so having the Linns as rear speakers would be a bit tight.

It looks like if I am going to go this route that i will have to see how much some more Mission speakers are gonna cost. It breaks my heart to say it, but it seems as if the Linns have had their day. The cheaper alternative may still be to save for a new set of surround speakers.

Considering what you guys have said I think my first purchase is gonna be an amp since I can play around with the speakers I have got.

Anyway, this is my first step into the home cinema experience which looks like turning into a rather expensive hobby, but as I watch mainly films and not that much tv it is gonna be worth it (as I keep trying to convince myself!).

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Welcome to the club mate. All you need now is new amp, speakers, sub, projector... etc. :D

chris