Mix and match 5.1 speakers

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by kdava, Jun 9, 2015.

1. kdava

kdava
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I know mixing different brands/series in a 5.1 system is generally not advised. However, I kinda have to now.

I bought a used pair of Tannoy Mercury MX3 floorstanders. Installed spikes, got nice quality cables and now I love them. Using old Samsung HTIB satellites now for center/surround, and bought an Onkyo SKW-208 sub, which is great.

Of course, I want to replace the HTIB speakers with decent ones. However, I cannot find a used Tannoy Mercury MXC for center. I did find a Mercury VC, though, which is the center from the newer Mercury series (would be kinda ugly, the floorstanders and my TV cabinet are light maple color and this center is black/dark brown).

Also found a good deal on a used Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS, same color as other gear and just looks much better. But don't know how would it go with the Tannoys?

Is one of these ok? If not, can you recommend any?

Thanks in advance.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    What impedance are the Samsung speakers? Often all in one speakers are very low impedance and I would not use anything below 4 ohms with an AVR as they can cause damage to it.
    I would always want at least the same make across the front 3 and would probably hold out until I found an MX one. Better to have no centre at all than a mismatched one. Given your current setup I would remove the Samsung centre and let your front L/R create a phantom centre since this will sound better than using the cheap samsung centre for the important centre duty.

3. kdava

kdava
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answer. They are 3 ohm speakers, but didn't experience anything weird so far. The engineer members of my family told me it's ok unless I turn the volume up really high, but I don't do that (I live in a flat). The AVR is pretty modern (Denon x1100), and can handle 4-6-8 ohms according to specifications.

The thing is, I'm not sure when will I find an MX center, it is a pretty old series and not the most popular one in my country (checked the archived classified ads, there was only one used MXC sold in the past 5 years, ehh). So I might really have to settle for something else...

I'll try removing the center and see how it sounds without that for now, but I do want a center. I've read that matching speakers are really important for multichannel music, but not that important for movies. Can you confirm this? Cause I don't really listen to multichannel music. I listen to music using only the floorstanders in stereo anyway.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Matching centres are important for movies as well. As a sound movies across the screen you want it to sound the same on all speakers. If the centre sounds different then the car going across the screen is going to sound a little weird as it hits the centre which is far from ideal. The centre takes about 60% of the total sound output so it is an important speaker to get right. As I said above it is better to have no centre at all than a compromised one. Putting any speaker in there just because you want a centre is not a wise move IMHO.
    It is correct that 3 ohm speakers will cause more issues at higher volumes but they will still be putting a higher load on the amp than it is designed for at low volumes. This can cause overheating issues and shorten the life of the AVR. Personally I would not use 3 ohm speakers with an AVR. The issue of the low impedance is worse with more budget end receivers as they tend to not have big enough power supplies to deal with the extra load properly. Since your Denon is towards the budget end I certainly would not recommend using 3 ohm speakers with it.

5. kdava

kdava
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again PSM1. Ok I'll try to hunt down a Mercury MXC... I'll also try to give a listen with that newer Mercury VC, they shouldn't be too far away as it's the same series.

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    They Tannoy Mercury Series still exist, and I suspect that is going to be the closest match to the speakers you have, though not a prefect match.

http://exceptional-av.co.uk/tannoy-mercury-vci.html

I did find one used -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1718...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Whether it is worth £65 or not is unclear.

The Sub and Surrounds don't matter that much, the critical match is the Front and Center. In your case, you just do the best you can.

Steve/bluewizarde

7. kdava

kdava
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BlueWizard, I know Mercury exists just that old MX series doesn't. I've found a VC (not VCi) center already and auditioning it next week, costs about 50 in GBP.

Won't buy it new: VCi in store costs 55.000 HUF, while used VC/VCi costs about 25.000, less than half.

Thank you for the used MXC tip, I actually didn't look at eBay, because the shipping is usually pretty expensive to my country, if they ship to here at all. But now you got me thinking, maybe I should look around internationally first. But this ebay listed one is pretty expensive, similar age and quality centers cost about 35-50 GBP in my country and no shipping fee..