Mitsubishi pull out of Europe, who's next?

I noticed my first Jimney yesterday, going into the street opposite. So I assume I've seen it loads of times but it never crossed my "what model is it?" radar before.

Not yet. As an aside, when they named the Levorg did they ever think of reading backwards?
brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like
brand-dark.svg
About our ads
Never noticed that before but it's a stupid name anyways. Should have just called it what it is, the Gen VI Legacy, at least that name has some history behind it.

Subaru UKs sales figures are miniscule in comparison to most other manufacturers, but the cars aren't even officially sold here so I have some confidence that they'll continue for a while longer. I just wish the importer (IM Group) would put a bit more effort into marketing the product (both Subaru and Isuzu) and bring in some of the more interesting stuff that they make. They can't continue down the current path for too much longer or it'll be too late.

More likely to disappear soon is Nissan. That's quite unfortunate as they sell well in the UK (god knows why) and they directly employ 7k people here, but they're part of a larger group and that group was looking to cut costs even before covid hit.

I don't see Nissan going anywhere, Sunderland plant produced 350k cars last year and although staff numbers have dropped to just below 6000 and there only currently running 1 of the 2 production lines the EU remains Nissan's biggest market. They may even start building some Renault's from Sunderland. They're already planning to close the Barcelona factory but Brexit could put pressure on Sunderland.

I don't think Suzuki cars will be going anywhere.
I used to sell them years ago and they were quite happy to plod along with mediocre sales and a small number of dealers. It was a very "friendly" franchise to have, with dealers helping each other out with vehicle swaps etc.
They were always cheaply built, but very reliable. Our warranty "burn rate" was very low.
The SJ range of "jeeps" were very big sellers, we used to go over to Holland on a regular basis to import the 1300cc soft tops, as those were never sold over here officially. It was a good money spinner.
Things started to go downhill on the quality front when they started building the SJ410's in Spain (Santana), the build quality of those early cars was absolute crap compared to the stuff that was coming in from Japan.
Also they shifted production of the Swift range to Hungary, and again the quality of the product deteriorated. The older Japanese built Swifts were great, fun little cars, especially the older Swift GS.
I enjoyed my time with Suzuki, especially the earlier years.
But then came the rollover scare............. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

brand-dark.svg
More likely to disappear soon is Nissan. That's quite unfortunate as they sell well in the UK (god knows why) and they directly employ 7k people here, but they're part of a larger group and that group was looking to cut costs even before covid hit.

Nissan make some damn fine cars.
The Micra is as good as any Supermini, the Leaf is still a great EV and the new Juke is a great small SUV.

Be respectful or your posting rights may be limited.

Thanks
To be fair, he was replying to my churlish comment on why anyone would buy a Nissan. I should have written that post without that comment. Sorry.

I do however stand by my comment that Nissan are likely to pull out of the European market within the next few years.

Probably not your fault, there are issues elsewhere with that member's tone.

Back on topic, Japan as a whole seems to be pulling out of manufacturing cars in Europe, not just the UK.

Are Infinity gone?
No great surprise, but their medium hatchback (same as the Merc) was quite a nice thing and there were some awesome PCP/lease deals going on it at one point.
Like under £200 a month without a daft deposit etc.

Are Infinity gone?
No great surprise, but their medium hatchback (same as the Merc) was quite a nice thing and there were some awesome PCP/lease deals going on it at one point.

Gone? They've just entered the new Q50 into the BTCC. Don't think it is manufacturer backed though.

Harsh...

:laugh:

Yup. Renault are/have been world leaders in the hot hatch market for an eternity so a bit harsh to see them go :D

I’d be happy to see Nissan, Honda, GM and Renault “SUV’s” never come back to these shores. Dacia’s too and those fugly fiat crossover mutants.

whoa - hold on there hoss

Honda NSX, Civic Type R
Nissan GTR

SUVs I will give you, but, you can't take away my GTR

whoa - hold on there hoss

Honda NSX, Civic Type R
Nissan GTR

SUVs I will give you, but, you can't take away my GTR

Which is why I said SUV’s. No way I’d even think about including those sports cars.

Nissan make some damn fine cars.
The Micra is as good as any Supermini, the Leaf is still a great EV and the new Juke is a great small SUV.

My wife has just ordered a Nissan Leaf, probably not what I would have gone for but it was her choice.

The fact is, for what she wanted, a decent specified medium sized car it has no competition.

I have range anxiety, mostly because of my job, but she doesn’t. The range and miles she does is easily satisfied by a 40 sized EV. She wanted a decent specification and she didn’t was a small car.

We looked at all the main contenders, some of which I preferred to the Leaf but they all had the same thing in common - if you want a decent specification you must have a 64 size powertrain. And this makes them all about £10k more expensive than the Leaf that fits her requirements.

Cheers,

Nigel

Are Infinity gone?

Yes, they left earlier this year:

I think I saw a post on HUKD that there were clearance deals on the Infiniti stock but I couldn't find anything I was interested in.

Going back to an earlier post about Peugeot I'm surprised how few there seem to be around and we do have a dealer. I thought the new 508 looked pretty good and when keeping an eye out for them I realised I rarely ever see Peugeots now whereas they used to be be very common.

I wonder about Mazda as well since they seem to be a very small seller although I guess that's not a big change. I have a 2011 Mazda 6 estate and kept it far longer than I normally do because it's well specced, practical, good to drive and been highly reliable so after looking at current cars the mk3 seems the best replacement. Something I like about the Japanese cars (or at least Honda and Mazda) is the standard spec since I usually buy at around two to three years old whereas on some of the European cars the spec can vary hugely depending on what optional extras the original owner specified.

I posted that way back, weeks ago when I went car hunting for a Shogun type, no surprise there cheaper to build abroad and incentives from the countries they go to

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom