Mitsubishi phev ordered.. Anyone got one

Very useful, so that 30-40 figure I found sounds good. Certainly better than what I get from my bus. I want one :)

Interested in this but more questions I don't follow how regenerative braking works and it's benifits. If you charge over night will it stop pulling electric once charged?

Regenerative braking: whenever the car is being retarded - to slow down, to maintain speed downhill, etc., the electric motor is used as a generator, to retard the driving wheels and thereby place some charge into the traction battery. You don't choose this - the car does it for itself.

There are conventional brakes as well. The car will decide which to use depending on (for example) how hard you push the pedal.

And then, when you (for example) set off from a standstill, that stored traction battery power is used initially to start the vehicle rolling. Thereby saving some fuel.

Makes for a quicker getaway whilst allowing the engine to be stopped rather than wasting fuel idling. Typically, regeneration alone only stores enough power for a few yards of traction.

That's true for all hybrids. The plug-in element of this type of car adds a bigger traction battery that can be externally charged hence allowing for an initial mileage to be done entirely on battery power.

And yes, when charging, it will only draw power whilst there is spare capacity in the battery. When it's full, it will stop.

Do these type of hybrids use all electric power initially and only switch to the ICE once depleted?

Or do they use a combination of both, such that the electric motors supplement the ICE? Or is it selectable?

Just asking for interest, as my lads hybrid must have the ICE running, and the electric motor purely adds power when needed to supplement any acceleration.

I think it's selectable with the Outlander.

Hi, Ive had a 2016 Outlander 4hs for the past 3 years and just ordered a 2019 5h for delivery in April.
I have a love hate relationship with it, i love driving it in electric mode, I hate how the engine revs under heavy acceleration. The MPG figures for pure electric are not real world figures. I get about 20 miles out of a full charge before ICE kicks in. However it cant be all bad as i have just ordered another. I understand the 2019 is quite a bit different to the 2016 in terms of driving modes, engine noise etc so we shall see

Do these type of hybrids use all electric power initially and only switch to the ICE once depleted?

Or do they use a combination of both, such that the electric motors supplement the ICE? Or is it selectable?

Just asking for interest, as my lads hybrid must have the ICE running, and the electric motor purely adds power when needed to supplement any acceleration.

The MY18 & MY19 have an EV button that forces the vehicle to run only on battery power for as long as there is charge available, and you can also force ICE mode to save your battery charge (useful on longer journeys where you might choose to run the ICE on high speed roads and keep the battery charge for town driving). You can also force the ICE to charge the battery too although this is a very expensive way to charge the battery as you are are using the ICE as a petrol generator using expensive fuel compared to simply plugging in to charge at home.

Most of the time I simply leave the car to sort itself out - it prioritises EV mode over ICE except under full power acceleration or when you run the heater in cold weather (the engine can quickly warm up the car before shutting down again).

Using the preheat function to heat the car while still connected to the charger means you can avoid the need to rub the ICE for hest initially (or avoid using a lots of charge from the battery to run the electric heater instead of the ICE).

It might sound complicated but actually it’s a very easy car to live with. Early reports suggest that the next model update will see a further increase in battery capacity (30-50% more depending on the reports).

How rude of me. Starting a thread and then vanishing.
It arrived end of March. Very happy so far. Have put in about £30 petrol since arrival and done aprox 2k miles now. Daily commute all done on electricity. Additional evening or busy weekends the ICE will kick in, plus the odd blast in sport mode

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom