• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mitsubishi HC3800 vs Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8100

Porkyss

Standard Member
i cant decide there are so many projectors out there to choose from i am looking at around $1500 range

my projector is 14' from screen and my screen size is 105" wide by 70" tall
im thinking if im useing the caculator right that the mits is a better choice but i am really interested in your guys opinions and maybe more good choices
:lease: help me figure it out

plus wife is usually sitting behind me with lamp on and there is always some ambient light
the projector i have been useing is a sharp buisness/edu so it was bright now im afraid if i buy a nice movie one the light will wash the screen out so i need another bright one

Last edited:

ColinB_NI

i cant decide there are so many projectors out there to choose from i am looking at around $1500 range

my projector is 14' from screen and my screen size is 105" wide by 70" tall
im thinking if im useing the caculator right that the mits is a better choice but i am really interested in your guys opinions and maybe more good choices
:lease: help me figure it out

plus wife is usually sitting behind me with lamp on and there is always some ambient light
the projector i have been useing is a sharp buisness/edu so it was bright now im afraid if i buy a nice movie one the light will wash the screen out so i need another bright one

Hi,

Not going to just say 'go for it' with the Mitsy... but do a little research for yourself... stick in 'hc3800' into google and see what comes up... or do a search on this forum even... some like it lot's.. and some don't:eek:

I got one at a good price at the time and so far... I LOVE it.:):D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Your 70" tall looks very large compared to most screen sizes if this is the case check your ceiling height and projector placement as the mits has a large offset.Unless you have very high ceilings or mounting you screen very low (if ceiling mounting the pj) you may have a problem.

ColinB_NI

Your 70" tall looks very large compared to most screen sizes if this is the case check your ceiling height and projector placement as the mits has a large offset.Unless you have very high ceilings or mounting you screen very low (if ceiling mounting the pj) you may have a problem.

Please just ignore the bit about 'very high ceilings or mounting your screen very low' this guy seems to have problems with the normal average sized room... take it from me as I own one of these PJ's... no problems at all for normal sized rooms!!!!!

:nono:

have a look at this website:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-HC3800-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I am getting a bit fed up with your piffle.

With a screen 70" tall allowing for an average 96" uk high ceiling the projector's lens c/l needs to be almost 20" higher than the top of the screen + the height of projector (say 6") add those together = 96" therefore bottom of the screen would be on the floor.

But I guess that is not a problem for you.:laugh:

If it was the other way round,mounting pj low it would have to be on the floor and the top of the screen would be at ceiling height.

On the other hand if the op has very tall ceilings (say 10ft or more) there may not be a problem.

ColinB_NI

I am getting a bit fed up with your piffle.

With a screen 70" tall allowing for an average 96" uk high ceiling the projector's lens c/l needs to be almost 20" higher than the top of the screen + the height of projector (say 6") add those together = 96" therefore bottom of the screen would be on the floor.

But I guess that is not a problem for you.:laugh:

If it was the other way round,mounting pj low it would have to be on the floor and the top of the screen would be at ceiling height.

On the other hand if the op has very tall ceilings (say 10ft or more) there may not be a problem.

The big hint here is that the OP says his screen is 105" wide....

Kindly tell me Mr KBFERN how you can have a 105" wide screen that is also 70" tall and ask for advise for WIDESCREEN PJ's ???????:facepalm:

If you look at the OP's post.. he has already looked at online PJ calc's so I'm kinda guessing he knows what he is looking for.

In terms of PIFFLE... well i'm not going to get into a war of words with you on here... but my opinion is just as relevent (and maybe just as usefull) as yours... so keep YOUR kind of PIFFLE to YOURSELF please!

This guy has either mixed up the screen size (prob including the black top and bottom area)... or he wants a 4:3 PJ... in either case you are giving him the WRONG ADVISE>>>> think about it matey... you throw the PIFFLE more than most, in this case at least!!

Last edited:

Porkyss

Standard Member
ok i dont know for sure what u guys are haveing proublems with but my pj is mounted on a shelf in the back of my room kinda at a angle downwards and my screen is about 14" from floor and 12" from celling and screen is 105" inbetween borders and 70" tall
i am useing a cheap Proxia pj now since my sharp went out , untill i can decide which pj would be better suitable for my needs oooo and the screen is not all used up if thats what u r talking about the screen has about 1' not being used on both sides

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Without serious tilting down which is not advisable this pj is not suitable for your needs as the top of the screen would have to be much lower than it is now (approx 26" from the ceiling to top of the screen).

This bears out my my initial thoughts.

Last edited:

ColinB_NI

Without serious tilting down which is not advisable this pj is not suitable for your needs as the top of the screen would have to be much lower than it is now (approx 26" from the ceiling to top of the screen).

This bears out my my initial thoughts.

Well there you have it... our online expert has spoken!

If you really want some good advise... let the other members speak or as I said before do a google search... the internet tells no lies!!

I am presuming you want a 16:9 (widescreen) projector?

I only ask because the Mitsy is widescreen native and is not really suitable if you want 4:3 (although to be honest this is not really an argument as HD even in the US is widescreen as standard)

Despite the Piffle and Dribble in the above post.. this pj will work in any NORMAL size room. The calc shortcut as well as Mitsy's own website will confirm.

Hint: a 105" wide screen which is 16:9 ratio is 59" height approx (white area only)... so even if mounted lower than you have at present.. still leaves lots of room below (unless you are using a very odd sized room) Standard room height of 8ft or a bit more will cause no problems as the online calc will verify.

This bears out my initial thoughts!! LOL

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If you really want some good advise... let the other members speak or as I said before do a google search... the internet tells no lies!!

:confused: where have I stopped other members from speaking or contributing:rolleyes: and as far as the internet tells no lies is concerned you could not be more wrong....... the internet is full of miss-information.

ColinB_NI

:confused: where have I stopped other members from speaking or contributing:rolleyes: and as far as the internet tells no lies is concerned you could not be more wrong....... the internet is full of miss-information.

Ok so show me a website that (taking into account value for money) puts the Mitsy down below the 'holy grail' of the Epson 3500 et al?

You are correct of course that the internet is not foolproof but when it comes to reviews I would tend to take more value from an expert review about a piece of kit when the site is a well known and trusted one.:p

Sorry mate but you keep giving out wrong info about this PJ's mounting height... for the last time... as an owner who KNOWS... this PJ is as easy to mount as most DLP PJ's (your HD20 being a slight exception as it has a very LOW offset) If you want proof of this just look at my posts and pics in the home cinema diy section (posted a few years ago now) My projector has changed just recently of course but take note.... NOTHING ELSE had to be changed in my room... the screen is the same... the distance is the same... I had to mount the PJ just over an inch closer to the ceiling to fill the screen level and square. Note that my screen is nowhere near the ground!!! so I could have mounted the pj lower down if I had wanted/needed to.

I note you have not commented on the 16:9 question... i.e you just presume that the 3800 PJ is no good for this guy!

I suppose next you will recommend an Epson ;-)

Last edited:

Porkyss

Standard Member
first off i have no clue about what ratio i want/need
im just looking for a good upgrade from my old sharp something with 1080p and hdmi

here is some pics of my current set up im not sure if it helps any

bad pic quality but u get the idea and the second picture is turnd side ways sorry

Attachments

• 2010-06-21_16.25.50.jpg
    2010-06-21_16.25.50.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 294
  • proj view.jpg
    proj view.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

ColinB_NI

first off i have no clue about what ratio i want/need
im just looking for a good upgrade from my old sharp something with 1080p and hdmi

here is some pics of my current set up im not sure if it helps any

bad pic quality but u get the idea and the second picture is turnd side ways sorry

Hard to tell but I think your screen maybe 16:9 but the projected pic would seem to be 4:3... I note however you are not using all of the white area of the screen at each side or the top and bottom.
As stated the Mitsy (or to be honest any 1080p HD projector) is 16:9 native and so is designed to give a wider picture which is not as high. (as a quick example... if your screen happened to be 16ft wide then it would be approx 9ft high)
There is no reason why you could not use this machine with your present setup as long as you are ok with some white areas above and below the screen... or wind the screen in to avoid most of this (making it wider than it is tall if you know what I mean).

To see my 16:9 setup have a look here (pics over 3 pages including screen shots)
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/622527-home-cinema-room-starting-here.html

In any case it would seem you have a good deal of 'wriggle room' to set up this PJ if you decide to go for it.

Last edited:

Porkyss

Standard Member
wow colin that came out awsome looking so did u cover the equipment with something like speaker matting ?
but great looking set up
im planning on building a whole new room for a cinema rook itll be huge like 18x18 compared to this little 14x10 im in
my projector was actually a second thought when i made this into a living room ill take a pic of what this was supposde to be so i know next time i build a living/cinema room to make it for a projector 8)

Last edited:

Porkyss

Standard Member
i built the entertainment center out of sheet rock with a arch at the top and built in lights
was suppose to be for just 55" tv but some reason i saw a projector and just had to have it

little messy shelfs now since screen is never up
havent seen that tv behind there in a year or so
:laugh:

Attachments

• tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 657

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The reason it works for you and that you did not have to change anything is that you were swapping to a projector with a similar offset.

And whilst my HD20 does have a much smaller offset (less than half the HD70 and HC3800) this is now the norm for most DLP machines released in the last year or so.

This is beneficial to most folks in the UK with relatively low ceilings unlike a lot of houses in the U.S. where it is quite common to have high (10ft+) cathedral ceilings which present no problem to projectors with large offsets.

Looking at the opening posters pics and taking into consideration his screen size and position I would indeed recommend an Epson or in fact any other LCD machine that has lens shift as it would be better suited to his circumstances just as the HC3800 is better for yours.

Now please stop the snide remarks and personal insults and if you disagree with any of my views just state your alternative's as I am trying to give an honest opinion.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Especially when you look at the pictures of your set up Colin and the screen starts about 2ft down from your ceiling and on the OP's it is virtually level you can even see on Porky's picture he hasn't used the keystone and it is miles out!!! I agree you could maybe use the 3800 but he would have to change his screen to do it properly!!

That is just my opinion and does not represent the opinion of the company:D

DrugstoreCowboy

Set up one for my pal a couple of weeks ago, he's got low ceilings and a 105" screen.

We had to point the projector up slightly as the image was almost touching the floor (no keystone needed) and although the low screen looks a little awkward in the day it's actually nice and comfortable to watch in the dark.

jvULhl.jpg

Porkyss

Standard Member
thats perfect DrugstoreCowboy that pic looks like what i am going for
it is the epson right ?
where did u mount prjector on a shelf ? on floor ? celling mount

kbfern

Distinguished Member
No it's I think it's the Mits 3800 as that is what DC has.

By The way DC is that your backside on the left of the pic.:D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
They say a picture is worth a thousand words and this shows quite nicely what I have been saying all along that the HC3800 can work in most rooms but some care has to be taken.

Not many folk would want their screen that low as any furniture/ornaments/ seating of viewers and of course centre speakers as well as L&R speakers could all be obstacles to the projected image.

I am glad that it works for your mate though:)

ColinB_NI

They say a picture is worth a thousand words and this shows quite nicely what I have been saying all along that the HC3800 can work in most rooms but some care has to be taken.

Not many folk would want their screen that low as any furniture/ornaments/ seating of viewers and of course centre speakers as well as L&R speakers could all be obstacles to the projected image.

I am glad that it works for your mate though:)

Why has my post been deleted??

kbfern has given his opinion on the picture posted above and his assumption that the OP would not be wise to buy the HC3800 PJ for mainly one reason only.

I want to give mine... HE IS PLAIN WRONG ON THIS and it is only fair that the OP is made aware. After all this IS a thread relating to the HC3800 PJ... he may have tested one of these pj's but kbfern does not own one.... I DO!!

I have to say that in all honesty mods, I really do not understand what the problem is with regard to offset distance etc for this pj... would you not agree that my setup is fairly typical? ie 7ft+ wide but no more than 10ft width of screen... 55"+ high but no more than 68" height of screen...12ft+ from but no more than say 16ft distance of projector from the screen... 8ft+ high but no real limit within say about 16ft height of ceiling???

If you set it up CORRECTLY... this pj can do ANY of these options... and can give the results the OP asked for... so to say otherwise is misleading and THAT IS THE MAIN CONCERN HERE!!.

One of the posters who backed kbfern's argument even suggested that the offset from my ceiling to my screen of about 2ft (which to be fair, was pretty close) was not practical.... what kind of houses do you people live in?... do you not have 8ft+ ceilings??

I have tons of room above and below to adjust my screen if i really wanted to, but.... and this is the real crux of the matter...... I DO NOT NEED TO!!!! ---- (note for mr kbfern) I live in a NORMAL sized house.

Now mods IF you are going to remove MY opinion then it is only FAIR that you remove HIS quoted opinion above!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Otherwise.... please be FAIR to the OP and leave everything here as posted!

I bear no ill-will to the said forum member... i trust he will bear no ill-will in response.?

Last edited:

Porkyss

Standard Member
ok i bought the miits HC3800 from look and Dc's post and other opinions on another site the projector has better pic quality
i will figure out how to mount it when its here
i want to thank you all for your comments and opinions
KB thanks for yours also i put it all into consideration but couldnt pass up price plus free bulb

ill post in a couple days when it arrives :smashin:

ColinB_NI

ok i bought the miits HC3800 from look and Dc's post and other opinions on another site the projector has better pic quality
i will figure out how to mount it when its here
i want to thank you all for your comments and opinions
KB thanks for yours also i put it all into consideration but couldnt pass up price plus free bulb

ill post in a couple days when it arrives :smashin:

:hiya::hiya::clap::clap:

Says it all really.. an OP'S positive posting at the end of a troubled thread is worth a MILLION words !!!! LOL:):):):D:D:D

BTW glad you used your head and made what I do believe is the correct choice... I promise, for the money paid you really will be very surprised at this little PJ's output!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom