Question Mitsubishi HC3800 - strange discolored line

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wowns106, Jun 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wowns106

wowns106
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Link to video, you can see a clearer view here: Streamable - simple video sharing

[​IMG]

Like I said, I have a Mitsubishi HC3800, which I got from my friend. I've been using it for last couple months now, but I have never seen this until this morning. There's a strange purple-yellow line thats in the center of the screen. It's very shaky if that helps at all. Can this be fixed?

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,068
    Try and turn the focus fully one way or the other and see if the line comes into sharp focus. It looks almost like a long strand of something is behind the lens. DLP projectors do have a sealed light path so dust etc should not be able to get inside but you might need to take the cover off to have a look if it turns out to be something that has got inside.

3. wowns106

wowns106
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's video of me trying to focus it: Streamable - simple video sharing

I can't get a sharp focus, but I agree that there might be in the projector. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about projectors. Do you have any suggestions of specific areas that I should check?

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,068
    It looks like it's moving about which is probably being caused by the cooling fan inside. I am fairly convinced that it is a strand of material that is trapped inside.

You could try and remove the casing and take a look inside but if you are not confident doing that you would need to find a local repair shop to do it for you. I guess they might charge £20-50 to open it and inspect it.