Mitsubishi HC2000 - a 'blooming' fix.

R

Russell King

Hi there,

At NexNix we have been aware of the issues concerning the HC2000, and our concern was expressed to Mitsubishi, who have taken this seriously.

We have recently had Mitsubishi UK and their Japanese designers in our showroom with an improved HC2000, where new modifcations have been implemented which appear to fix the problems we and our clients were experiencing.

If any HC2000 owners would like to get in touch with me - we (with Mitsubishi), can get your PJ sorted.

Russ

Hi Russ,

That's great news.
I was the first HC2000 customer at NexNix.

I reported the contouring/banding problems direct to Mitsubishi support, but, upto now have not heard any news.
Good to hear there is a possible fix.

I will contact you tomorrow (at NexNix).

Regards
Nick

:lease: Russel could you give us a little bit more of insight? We are struggeling since so long that any bit of fact is like water in the desert.

We do not have any detail about it: is it a software / hardware / both fix? How Mitsubishi is going to deploy the fix on the older models? What about outside UK?

In advance many thanks.

Lenny

This is the most fertile desert I have experienced by a manufacturer - or maybe I just fell in an oasis, at midnight with a camel.

I am not Mitsubishi, but I believe the projector will be enhanced or replaced by Mitsubishi; its not just a firmware fix.

Although the shell is made by Optoma, we are told that Mitsubishi then use their skills to enhance the projector with both hardware and software, and I believe that adjustments have been made in both areas to remedy their HC2000.

When the Japanese guys came here, we did have a small language problem. My Japanese is limited to Sake & Sushi, and their English in comparison put me to shame; so I do not want to quote for them.

However email me [email protected], and I will pass your email to the 'hometheatre and products' manager in Kyoto, who is a very nice guy. He should be able to answer your concerns on the fix, and then it would be down to the regional Mitsubishi head office, on how the fix is implemented (my guess).

I believe from their response to us, we are dealing with an ethical manufacturer, who also wants a strong position in this market; therefore I believe they will use the same policy to provide service in the rest of the world, as they are in the UK.

At NexNix we deal with many manufacturers, and most with much higher turnover than our business with Mitsubishi, but their response to a problem has so far given a level of service beyond our expectation.

Russel,

just e-mailed my address. Thank you very much for your help :smashin:

Lenny

0001298 0001299 0001285 0001291 0001288
0001262 0001282 0001293 0001304 0001314
0001079 0001091 0001349 0001138 0001137

The above are serial numbers of projectors that are believed to be faulty. Not sure if this relates to the UK, Europe or 'The World'. More information will follow.

One of our clients, who posts here, 0001091, (he is not a number, but a free man), has been contacted by Mitsubishi. So the ball is moving. Progress on the swop and the fix will be reported.

For those who have mailed me, I have had response from Mitsubishi UK with the above serial numbers, but await a response from Kyoto. However the guy there does travel alot.

Russ

:thumbsup: Well done Russel.
I'll check my serial number tonight... I've the impression that the numbers you got are for UK only...

Regards.

Lenny

Just had confirmation - serial numbers are UK only.

I have requested the 'World'.

Russ

Hy Russel. The serial number of my HC2000 is 0001183. So looking at the serial numbers you provided for UK, I'm sure that my projector also needs to be fixed.

Regards,

Lenny.

Here are my first impressions of the 'fixed' HC2000.

First of all, thanks to Russell at Nexnix and the people at Mitsubishi for endevouring to provide a resolution to the problems.

I received the replacement HC2000 on tuesday, so have only been testing it for 2 nights so far.

The unit has Serial no. 0001512 and firmware version c04.
The 'out of the box' settings showed the contouring/banding affects at a level worst than my original HC2000. I was a little surprised by this, I can only conclude that the artifact effects are regional and the unit was optimally tuned based on the region of manufacture (and not europe). :confused:

Anyway, I then went into the Factory menu:-
The Color Wheel Indexes (CWI) were set at 28 (x5), 27 (x4).
I played a trailer of Species 3 where there's lots of green wavy graphics that show severe contouring; and by adjusting the CWI (x4) to 33 was able to eliminate the contouring by about 90%.

I then tested some other DVD's that show problems and here are my opinions (of the improvements or otherwise):-

Kill Bill 2 (Coffin Scene) - the contouring is virtually eliminated
Twisted - contouring on some scenes on sides of faces is mostly eliminated
Harry Potter CofS - (opening Warner Brothers logo and clouds scene) - smearing in the clouds is still visible.
U571 - the contouring around lights is virtually eliminated.

So, to summarize my impressions so far:-
I think the contouring is reduced to a level that makes it much less noticeable.
But I will need to do more tests to make sure I have set to the optimum CWI and generally view more DVD's :)

Good news Pixel,

I understand you are doing your tests using a x4 speed. Since the hugest problems have been found using the x5 speed, it would be worth to look at the pj' performances using that speed. What do you think?

I'm very curious to hear your news.

Regards,

Lenny

Any update about it? Looks it's solved working at 5x speed? We want some feedback please ;)

cheers

I'm still testing on 4x speed at the moment.
After playing about 10 movies, I can still see some occasional contouring, but my impression is that it is reduced (but, it is difficult to quantify by how much).
I am waiting for my copy of Troy to try out the opening scenes where there was some obvious 'blooming' contours on my old HC2000.
I will also try x5 speed in the next few days.

OK, thanks Pixel. Any knows anything about the new 8 colour wheel firmware that is preparing texas instruments? Estimated dates at least?

Cheers

venezolano,
My firmware version is the same as the unit that was reviewed (c04).

I am happy with my HC2000 now, I can still see occasional contouring, but this happens mostly at the beginning of a movie on things like the New Line Cinema logos where theres lots of shaded graphics.

I recently looked up the price of a replacement bulb for the HC2000 and was shocked to see that they appear to be about £100 more expensive than Optoma H77 bulbs!

Are they the same lamp? I wonder if it's merely marketing rather than a different lanp and electronics.

Gary.

Gary,
I thought they would be the same but after seeing pictures of both, they look completely different.

I had heard than many pj manufacturers have lamps manufactured for their specific projector, but you'd think that by now they would start to use existing lamps to cut costs both in manufacture and retail pricing.

I can understand Sim2 going for new designs as they have extended the lamp life four fold in comparison, but the majority of the others have lamps with similar life and output.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom