1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mitsubishi HC100U vs SANYO PLV-Z3 Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by joijoi, Sep 14, 2005.

?
  1. Mitsubishi HC100U

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SANYO PLV-Z3

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. joijoi

joijoi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First of all, apologies if this is a daft question, but I am looking to purchase a budget starter projector which i want to fulfill the following criteria.

1. the ability to show dark movies like Collateral in fine detail brightly.
    2. powerful enough to fill my 8 ft screen (96" across) from only 4m due to constraints of small room.
    3. cheap enough to satisfy my meagre 600 quid budget ex vat, this is my absolute max figure short of selling my car!
    4. the ability to have some ambient light in the room and not sit in total darkness.
    5. i only use a projector for dvds, i do not need it for hdtv, sky + etc

I am aware of the dlp vs lcd battle and really wish i had enough money for a panasonic ae-700 but i don't. I have never suffered through rainbow effects but also never owned an lcd (old infocus lp400 was my first).

A weeks long research by me has concluded (most probably incorrectly) that i have 2 choices:

1)SANYO PLV-Z3

Outstanding resolution, picture quality, may be let down by over optimistic contrast ratio.

2)Mitsubishi HC100U

Excellent contrast, bright picture but far lower resolution than Z3

I can pick up both for 600 ex vat.

I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction on this one with particular emphasis on the following questions:

1) Is better contrastring more favourable than higher resolution?
    2) Is the z3's contrast that much worse than hc100
    3) Will i notice a considerale difference between 854x480 Pixels and 1280x720 Pixels playing a dvd through my pc (which can handle both easily)
    4) Are there any other viable alternatives in this price range that meet my criteria above, i.e short throw etc.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved as this is pure indulgence on my part, needless to say the wife thinks there's better things to spend OUR money on :) and i'd really like to impress her.

Cheers.

JJ

2. joijoi

joijoi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    InFocus Screenplay 4805

Would this do?

:smashin: :thumbsdow

3. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The simplest answer is that just about everyone seems to agree that in your price range, the Z3 is a complete no brainer. There's loads of threads you can search about this. Nothing else can match the performance for its current price.

As you will be driving the PJ from your PC, I would imagine that the increased resolution of the Z3 will be all the more benificial if you're planning on running at native 1280x720 resolution.

Good luck!
    Chris.

4. Dirk_Diggler

Dirk_Diggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4. the ability to have some ambient light in the room and not sit in total darkness.

Don't think the Z3 would impress too much considering point number 4. You shou go for the Screenplay 4805 DLP. It'll give you better contrast in comparison to the Z3 for ambient light.

5. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    If there's light in the room, brightness, rather than contrast is usually the important factor.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yep, the 4805 is less lumens than the Z3 (750 vs 800). If you want a "light cannon" try the TX100 at 1200 lumens. But the Z3 should do OK even with a bit of ambient light...PJ :)

7. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Buy the Z3, no problem. From top to bottom matey...

1. It's pretty good out of the box, but take a look at Rone's thread - he's spent ages tweaking it and there's some recommended settings on there. You can also buy filters to improve the pic even further but you don't need to.

2. It's roughly 25" widescreen for every 1m of throw distance. I get about 78" from almost 3m away from the wall. Should be about right but there are projection calculators around if you want to check.

4. My room is by no means totally dark, got a balcony at one end of the room and the curtains aren't great. It's great even on economy mode, which is how I tend to run it. During the afternoon I rarely use it, but if I do I just turn it to a brighter mode. Particularly now my free second lamp has come through the post - I'm less worried about using it now!

1) I would say resolution is more important - I can't see the point in having a great contrast picture if the picture quality is hampered by being downscaled to a lower resolution. Remember 854x480 pixels aren't even enough to show a PAL DVD without squashing it down. Obviously the proviso to this is that the resolution doesn't matter if the contrast of the pic is absolutely terrible...

3) Absolutely. And not only that (and I know you said you were only going to watch DVDs) but at a higher resolution you can just do everything more easily, from operating the desktop to sticking a game on should you want to. And with the future being HD movies (and you can get some WMVHD stuff now) I absolutely can't see the point of not buying a high resolution PJ. It'll downscale what's available now, and more so in the near future.

Finally, my girlfriend thought it was a bit of an indulgence but going to be fun, and she is far far more impressed with the Z3 than she ever expected.

When I started looking for a PJ back in March, I spent months checking out different models. Now the Z3 is so much cheaper and can be bought with a spare lamp, I can see it's really simple. Get your order in now!

Hope that helps

DM

8. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The Z3 is a lot better than I thought in this respect. I can happily watch sport and music videos etc. even with the main lights switched on.

9. joijoi

joijoi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the detailed and informative replies, especially from dancingmatt. I'm off to get my hands on a SANYO PLV-Z3 before the wife catches me. :clap:

One final question:

Is it worthwhile connecting the SANYO PLV-Z3 to one of these hdmi dvd players or are they just marketing hype?

Thanks again.