Mitsubishi HC-5500 owner's thread

pure_geordie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Might as well start one off as mine appears to work now after my scare:eek:

Took back to the shop and all's well (Replaced Bulb). Now I just need to play and post:D

Unusual that a bulb has gone as it should last 5000 Hrs. Mine lasted 0 Mins.

Any help from any other fellow HC-5500 owners out there willing to post some settings/advice for picture quality

I have found ceiling mounting this projector a bit of a pain, due to limited placement (a lot of calculations). I can't seem to get an exact rectangular image and I know why. I can never seem to get my projector exactly perpendicular! Apart from that Looks like the best 1080p projector in this price bracket if I may say so.

Also when I put a film on that's Full HD and hit the info button it says 1024*1080 Should it not say 1920 x 1080p? Then again Its more or less just out the box and havn't setup anything yet!

Last edited:
As I've said elsewhere tonight, I've just oredered one of these after much research and nashing of teeth!! :)
My concern (albeit a bit late) is now about placement. No worries over horizontal shift or image size /throw ratio etc, but as I'm mounting this on the ceiling with a mount only 15cm long, will it be able to shift vertically to shift the image down the screen??

The screen is a 2m wide job, 16:9, recessed electric screen (again just ordered) with a larger black band at the top. Screen is 180cm high with a 118cm image size. So, taking away the 15cm of the mount, am I right in thinking the image will have to shift down 47cm??

If so, is the HC5500 cabable of this?? :lease:

Try Mits projection calculation app from

Projector Calculator Software

I own a HC7000 and the vertical shift on it is more than capable of what you require. The HC7000 also has horizontal shift and keystone adjustment which I don't think the HC5500 has ..... Geordie: it's the latter that would make a trapezoidal image "more square" if you are using a ceiling or floor mount. All proctors will do what yours has if the projector is not dead center to the screen ..... that's what lens shift and keystoneing are for, but not all projectors come with all the tools to do this.

So, taking away the 15cm of the mount, am I right in thinking the image will have to shift down 47cm??

If so, is the HC5500 cabable of this?? :lease:

That's about the same height as mine. This projector has all sorts of image adjustments, including keystone. The only thing it doesn't have is horizontal shift. My problem is that my image doesn't have the trapeziod effect its more like this. And I cannot get it right. image1.jpg

My projector I know is just placed correctly, centered and perpendicular now i've adjusted but cannot get it absolutly right,

I think you should be OK but you may have to tilt it slightly forward and use -1 or -2 keystone. Using a little keystone is OK, Its when you use a lot you obviously have image probs.

Ta

Last edited:
hi guys. thanks for the advice etc.

I've downloaded the mitsu placement software already but to be honest, couldn't figure it all out !! :confused: Will need to try again.

the unit should arrive today, with the screen to follow in a day or so. However, it may be a week or two before I get it up as I'm hoping to get someone to do the install for me (i'm lazy or scared....don't know which!)

Mind you, I have a feeling I'll be keen to get it out of the box and see what it's like. Will keep you posted...

Any more thoughts would be gratefully received.

Hey Neil,

I was the same as you .... too scared to do it myself. But I couldn't get a tradesperson to do the work mounting the screen and ceiling bracket and in the end did it myself ..... It was a great feeling to have done it myself and I would have had to wait for a month to get a tradie to do it.

I'm sure the vertical lens shift will do what you need.

Last edited:
Chopsus.

good to know I'm not alone! I said to hersel' this morning that I would like to try but........ I'm no joiner. Don't mind DIY but in my living room, I wouldn't want to cock up! I could also do most of the wiring, but I need to get the autolink from the projector to the screen so that it comes down automatically and don't know how to do this.

Installer is costing me an extra £600 :(

That's about the same height as mine. This projector has all sorts of image adjustments, including keystone. The only thing it doesn't have is horizontal shift. My problem is that my image doesn't have the trapeziod effect its more like this. And I cannot get it right.View attachment 106921

My projector I know is just placed correctly, centered and perpendicular now i've adjusted but cannot get it absolutly right,

I think you should be OK but you may have to tilt it slightly forward and use -1 or -2 keystone. Using a little keystone is OK, Its when you use a lot you obviously have image probs.

Ta
Your projector is twisted to the left. You probably did this to line up with the screen.Without horizontal lens shift you will need to move your projector mount to the left or reposition your screen, if that is easier. Keystone correction only works vertically by the way.

Last edited:
Projector is not twisted. Its straight, or as you say that is the reason for this.

As far as I can tell its straight, I've even had my spirit level on it. Does it need to be twisted by millimetres and it will do that?
Its in the middle of the ceiling which is in the middle of the screen.

Keystone works vertically, I know that.

Last edited:
Projector is not twisted. Its straight, or as you say that is the reason for this.

As far as I can tell its straight, I've even had my spirit level on it. Does it need to be twisted by millimetres and it will do that?

Jacko5 is spot on with his diagnosis. The image shape you are getting means that the projector is turned slighty towards the left of the screen and is positioned slightly too far to the right of the centre of the screen.

If your projector does not have any horizontal lens shift then you will need to reposition the projector left a bit or move the screen position right a bit.

As you have found out, even the slightest inaccuracy with positioning can result in a skewed image.

Hi Pure_G

A spirit level will only help if the problem is a cambered projector (ie: one side of the PJ is higher than the other.

As the others have said, it would seem that you have mounted the PJ about 5-10 cms too far to the right (I think it is to get the image distortion you have).

When you measured and mounted the PJ did you do your calculations based on the middle of the PJ or the middle of the lens? As the lens on the pj is right side mounted this might explain why it's off ..... the PJ is perfectly centered, but that means the lens is not. (perhaps?).

P.S.: You could just leave it as it is and lose the distortion in the black border of your screen .... I suspect you wont even notice it on a panavision sized image.

Last edited:
Chopsus.

Installer is costing me an extra £600 :(

Jeez that's a bit rich ... but there may be a fair bit of mucking around inside your roof to do it properly ..... reading Pure_G's issue on placement, it might be good to have someone to blame (and demand to fix) if it;s not positioned perfectly ..... I'd mention centering the lens horizontally to the screen specifically so he knows exactly what is needed.

Oh ... now as for you automatic screen: there should be a 12v trigger out socket on the back of your PJ ....it's just a matter of two plugs and a bit of wire to the trigger in on you screen.

I have a pull down (and horizontal lens shift) - so already you install would be more complex than mine.

Have fun!

Installer is costing me an extra £600

A days work for 2 men - £500. Cables about an extra £100+/ They are also having to take of skirting boards for speaker cables (new speaker system going in:)) and put them back on of course, and put in a couple of ceiling mounted speakers for the rear. Of course, getting HDMI from the new amp to the PJ is also a bit of hassle.

I don't mind in some ways, 'cos I'd probably mess it up myself in some way and it would take me about a week! But then again, I might just manage it.........???
Oh ... now as for you automatic screen: there should be a 12v trigger out socket on the back of your PJ ....it's just a matter of two plugs and a bit of wire to the trigger in on you screen.
Not sure it's as simpe as that is it?? Don't you need relays etc??

Re the placement, I'm going to be very diligent about mentioning that!!

Hi Pure_G

A spirit level will only help if the problem is a cambered projector (ie: one side of the PJ is higher than the other.

As the others have said, it would seem that you have mounted the PJ about 5-10 cms too far to the right (I think it is to get the image distortion you have).

When you measured and mounted the PJ did you do your calculations based on the middle of the PJ or the middle of the lens? As the lens on the pj is right side mounted this might explain why it's off ..... the PJ is perfectly centered, but that means the lens is not. (perhaps?).

P.S.: You could just leave it as it is and lose the distortion in the black border of your screen .... I suspect you wont even notice it on a panavision sized image.

Thanks Chopsus. I've re-aligned projector it was 7mm out and is a little better but not absolutley perfect. Than again nothing is.

Its also a good feature to have to have a projector that is able to put black borders at top and bottom of the screen as you said.

I HAVE TO SAY THE IMAGE IS MIND BOGLINGLY GOOD AS WELL. GET THIS PROJECTOR AS ITS A SNAP AT £1050!! Especially with the new technology packed into it. See this:View attachment hc5500_brochure[1].pdf

:smashin: Its a must.

Last edited:
12 Volt Triggers:
Not sure it's as simpe as that is it?? Don't you need relays etc??

Nup no relay should be needed, that's the point of having triggers built into the equiptment ... the last time I saw one it was like a mini headphone jack (with wire) from the PJ to the trigger in on the Screen ... Job done ... that's assuming your gear has the requisite trigger out and ins.

For what you are gettign done I think you have a fair quote ..... I am way too lazy to pull skirting boards off ... still ahve cables on the floor LOL .... I plan to run cable through the roof when I go on long service leave this year.

I HAVE TO SAY THE IMAGE IS MIND BOGLINGLY GOOD AS WELL. GET THIS PROJECTOR AS ITS A SNAP AT £1050!! Especially with the new technology packed into it. See this:View attachment 107076

:smashin: Its a must.

WOW! I didn't know the HC5500 came with the HQV Reon video processing chip! That makes it a real bargain -> no need for a scaler or HDMI upconverter to get excelent quality images out of DVDs and SD material.

I'm going to have to do some homework to work out why I bought a HC7000! Horizontal Lens Shift is one ... Diamond Iris??

I was all set to buy a in80 until last week when personal circumstances scupered that.

Now my life is back on track and I am on the hunt for a 1080p again.

This model look promising, what is it like with SD DVD and what are the blacks like. Any chance of some screen shots:thumbsup:

This has some stonking reviews. I think Im going to order one

Last edited:
Another review.

Mitsubishi HC5500 - Παρουσίαση από Cine4Home.de - audiovideo.gr

Couple of questions: Is there any dust a problem with these? I currently us an HTPC output 1280x720@60Hz over HDMI to the HD72i, which gives the entire desktop perfectly. Will this be able to do the same at 1920x1080@60Hz? That is, use the HDMI input as a monitor, with fullscreen desktop and movies etc?. I don't have to use the VGA input?

If you have your PC set to 1080@60hz via HDMI it will be happy.

As for dust, they have one of the best and quietest filter systems on the market ... going by a couple of other posts, there is also a filter upgrade available if you are concerned about it.

Just set mine up.

WOW, amazing, incredible

I never ever though a projector could give an image this impressive. Its 3D

Watched some dark Knight, pinapple express Blu ray, happy gilmore sky HD, could even count the blades of grass on golf course.

My wife even says the picture is fantastic

I like it alot by the way

Just set mine up.

WOW, amazing, incredible

I never ever though a projector could give an image this impressive. Its 3D

Watched some dark Knight, pinapple express Blu ray, happy gilmore sky HD, could even count the blades of grass on golf course.

My wife even says the picture is fantastic

I like it alot by the way

Sounds great, any pics? Couple of questions. Where did you get it, I had to wait for stock till March. Did it come with the extra thick dust filter unit?

Jay Howwitt, extra thick filter yes.

I have watched some SD material and its brilliant. It handles everything you throw at it brilliantly

Last edited:
I cant see this thread taking off at all

After many blu rays dvds and sky HD I have the following to report, nothing.

Picture is fantastic on everything. No issues at all. One basic calibration and thats it remote is gathering dust now. If anyone has a spare £1200 ish and wants plasma quality on a massive screen, this is the baby. I have a 50 kuro and the picture is better on the mits. 3D without the silly glasses:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom