• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mistake or not

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Quick phone related question. I have been out of phone market for a while now. Currently rocking Galaxy S5 with a cracked screen, but fancied a little bit of gadget snobbery and enquired O2 (which I have been for 11 years non-stop with, 2 contracts) for a good deal for Galaxy S7 Edge.

They have offered me the (2 year) deal bellow, minus £100 off upfront costs. Before I go back and make the mistake, would you say that is a good deal or not?

PS. I know 1GB is not much, but I have been on 1GB package for few years now and somehow that's enough for me usually)

PS2. I don't want to be changing O2 as they have a good 4G signal in my workplace.

49PCJtK.jpg

MIstake or not?

To Mods: please don't move it to mobile phone section... at least for a while :)

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Check the usual phone companies like Carphone Warehouse etc. This below from Carphone warehouse has 6gb of Data for £1 more per month.

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 18.33.28.png

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
That was on a new contract. You may get something similar as an upgrade.

Spend some time on the net and compare.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
The deal O2 offered me comes to £845.99 over two years. The cheapest upgrade deal I can see on CW website is £917.99. The only difference is 3GB (or 6GB) versus 1GB with O2.

McVicar

Distinguished Member
Cheapest o2 on CPW comes to £845 for 3gb per month plus, if I read correctly you can also claim a "FREE Samsung Gear Fit2 worth £179"

hippo99

Distinguished Member
First Cars 3 as his first film, & now a Galaxy S7 edge for his first handset as well? Your son is going to be a very happy chappy on his birthday :p;)

McVicar

Distinguished Member
Actually the price at CPW is the same as you've been offered 845.99 but with 3gb per.month and a free watch.
That's 149.99 up front and 29 per month

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Actually the price at CPW is the same as you've been offered 845.99 but with 3gb per.month and a free watch.
That's 149.99 up front and 29 per month
Hmm. I don't see that offer. Is that upgrade offer or new contract?

EDIT: Found it. It's a new contract.

McVicar

Distinguished Member
CPW may give you the same deal on upgrade, they have for me before when I've said oh don't worry I can get a better deal elsewhere.

Alternatively have you got a spare SIM card lying about? If notnyou can buy an I.d sim (think they're called that) for £5, port your
number over Then port back to your new o2 contract. That way you get the watch for £5 effectively. If you don't want it I'm sure you could flog on pretty easily and you'd be better off in the long run and with triple the data.

You may find that you use more data than before because pages will load that much faster. I certainly did

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
How will going for CPW deal affect my 11 year continuous account with O2. I understand that if I have any problems with the contract, it's not actually O2 I have a contract with, but CPW. Am I right?

At the moment I am on sim only deal with O2, where I pay £18 for 1gb, but it's a 30 day deal, so I can upgrade at any moment.

McVicar

Distinguished Member
When you say any problems with the contract do you mean if you've got an issue with the network service that sort of thing? You'd phone o2 just like you would now.

And don't be concerned that you've got a long standing continuous account with o2, there is no such thing as brand loyalty these days as the best deals usually go to new customers. Not like the old days.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
You'll have a contract with O2 regardless of who you sign up with. Maybe have a look at this deal
Samsung S7 Edge 32GB Unlocked Perfectly Fine - £297.99 02 Refresh

Thanks. I have been also looking at "almost perfect" S7 Edge on O2, but didn't know about that method :)

Only problem with that is I would not like to have to pay 300 outright. Even with the savings it gives me, I cannot really afford that.

When you say any problems with the contract do you mean if you've got an issue with the network service that sort of thing? You'd phone o2 just like you would now.

And don't be concerned that you've got a long standing continuous account with o2, there is no such thing as brand loyalty these days as the best deals usually go to new customers. Not like the old days.

What I mean is who my contract is if I go through CPW. Let's say I want to upgrade early, or cancel my contract. Do I need to deal with CPW or O2.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I have been also looking at "almost perfect" S7 Edge on O2, but didn't know about that method :)

Only problem with that is I would not like to have to pay 300 outright. Even with the savings it gives me, I cannot really afford that.

What I mean is who my contract is if I go through CPW. Let's say I want to upgrade early, or cancel my contract. Do I need to deal with CPW or O2.
O2

McVicar

Distinguished Member

O2. As delvey said the air time contract is still with o2, CPW are just a middle man.
By the way I've just looked on o2's website and it mentions the free watch on there as well. Worth checking with them 're upgrade but I'm sure it will still apply.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Sorry for being thick, but what "free" watch are you talking about? I can't see any mention about that on either CPW or O2 :(

McVicar

Distinguished Member
That's on the CPW website. And it's the same watch on the o2 website. The colour and 3gb capacity refer to the edge, not the watch. Have a look you shouls be able to see it. If you can't I'll send you a link

Screenshot_20170625-201204.png

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
That's on the CPW website. And it's the same watch on the o2 website. The colour and 3gb capacity refer to the edge, not the watch. Have a look you shouls be able to see it. If you can't I'll send you a link

View attachment 877841
Thanks very much. Still can't see it (I take that's for a new contract, not upgrade?), but I am just trying to get back on O2 chat to see if they would match the CPW deal (same deal as they offered me but with more data). I'll ask them about the free watch as well

McVicar

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much. Still can't see it (I take that's for a new contract, not upgrade?), but I am just trying to get back on O2 chat to see if they would match the CPW deal (same deal but with more data). I'll ask them about the free watch as well

I've cropped the screenshot. You can't miss it now ;)
20170625_201946.png

It's offered on both sites definitely :smashin:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I would try the edge first in person to see how its gripped, seemed cool but nowadays I keep triggering the touch on the stuff near the edge and I have small hands when holding it.

Wouldn't go for an edge one again personally.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
I would try the edge first in person to see how its gripped, seemed cool but nowadays I keep triggering the touch on the stuff near the edge and I have small hands when holding it.

Wouldn't go for an edge one again personally.
I have quite a big hands, but I plan to buy a good cover plus screen protector anyway. Cover that would improve grip and durability.

(still waiting in queue in the chat)

McVicar

Distinguished Member
Think most people have difficulty using a case AND a screen protector due to the edges design. I don't use a screen protector on mine just a slim fit spigen case.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom