1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MississippiMan were art thou???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fhSpacey, Nov 16, 2004.

1. fhSpacey

fhSpacey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to get some of the MM paint from MMan but he seems to have dissappeared :rolleyes:

I have the plastic mirror sourced and I've lined up someone to do the spraying.

COME BACK MississippiMan :clap:

2. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't he say he was off to Helsinki or something to do a LF workshop?

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He was last on-line about a week ago...

Might be worth e-mailing him if he's travelling through his forum e-mail address ;).

4. fhSpacey

fhSpacey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a few days ago to no avail :(

5. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe he really has gone? What we need is someone to cast aspersions on how genuine this thing is, and he'll soon be back to defend it!

I tell you what, this LF stuff sounds like a lot of 'snake oil' to me, and look... he's already done a runner. :D

6. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think you will find that this was a wind up to reel in the gullible

regards

Parmenion

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I did do a small trial. Not I have to say with MMud but my guestimate of what was closest with the paint I could get.

Some things do seem to work like the reduction of screen door and there is a 'glow' to the screen.

But

By the time I'd applied enough paint to remove the 'mirror' effect the gain was about the same as my matte white screen. Obviously this could be to do with my mix or application so really needs someone with the offical paint to try one now.

8. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Parmenion, enough evidence had been posted to show numerous people have tried and tested these LF screens to remove most people's doubts. Didn't avsforum rate these screens as the 2nd best option available or something?

So why are you stating with such certainty that it was all a wind up?

9. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Certainty?

None here.

regards

Parmenion

10. fhSpacey

fhSpacey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The last post on that AVS thread today is from MississippiMan have you heard back from him yet? There are also a couple of threads in the DIY screens forum questioning the claims made about the Light Fusion screen which are worth reading. Though they do as usual end up in a bit of a slanging match.

12. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    fhSpacey.......do you actually read whats being written on this thread?
    Darwock suggested that someone cast some doubt on the truth of all this in order to get MM back to defend himself. lo and behold someone does JUST that.

Then you AND Darwock get uptight?

Pure genius.

regards

Parmenion

13. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha, parmenion I suspected you may be doing that.. but I thought the fact I'd covered that angle myself made it unnecessary! Funny indeed :D

14. fhSpacey

fhSpacey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    e-mailed him re paint again today, Parmenion - try using a smiley when yer joking you fool! :)

15. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My apologies.

I usually associate those things with the less perceptive.

regards

Parmenion

16. fhSpacey

fhSpacey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK MM has mailed me right back and I should be receiving MMix from him and I quote
    "There's a tall, willowy Colleen over there I've always wanted to
    meet. But helping your work toward getting the first Light Fusion screen on
    the Emerald Isle would be the next best thing to walking arm in arm on top
    of the western Cliffs with a spectacular Red Head."

lol :clap: :rotfl: :clap:

17. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    legend.

fhSpacey, ill need you tell me how rigid your mirror is (ill need to mount on some kind of frame, but dont want to have to make the most rigid thing since Keanu's acting). I want to know if i could knock up a self standing LF screen, as i cant nail to a wall, and it has to be removable (and therefore semi-lightweight <25Kg would be nice with support mech)........

Oh yeah, and also, ill need to know if the mirror blocks light from something like a window behind - or would i need to get some black out cloth behind the thing?

oh yeah, and ill need to know if its worth the effort ;)

awesome stuff - i wish you the best of luck with your endeavours. If dundalk was anywhere near me, i would offer my services, but alas, i fear not!!!

keep us updated!!

Stu

18. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry for the week long absence.

I've been in Vancouver, BC since last Thursday (18th) wrestling with CA Customs over the delivery of 7 Mirrors, ranging from 96" x 54" up to a 123' x 73" monster.

As for a few of the comments made above, it's all right to question. No one has ever seen me respond to 'queries' with bile or resentment. The trouble is, so very many people respond to effusive posts with total disbelief, self-righteous anger, sometimes simple petty jealousy or envy, and many times soley to be discordant.

Tis the nature of the "Forum" Beast.

So you (I) try to bolster your position (...or 'claims' as some would have it...) by publishing a very many varied Screen shots, by several different people with several different PJs and with several different Cameras, .......and the end result?

A vicious discourse on the relevency of Screen Shots.

Well Blokes, it's all just DIY at this level. Basic Physics should help the 'knowing' to ascertain that "Snake Oil" isn't a main ingrediant (...too much sheen...) and experimenting is as easy as getting a smallish Glass Mirror and applying any Flat white paint over it (...scrapes off easily...).

But now what? Many write to ask me to send them samples so they can decide the easy way.

There is NO PLEASING everyone, so efforts must focus on generating interest within those who have open minds, some real desire to achieve something special, and do so at a cost far more resonable than any MFG screen that can approach what's being accomplished. The "Work Ethic" LF requires such an approach.

Proffesional Debunkers need not apply, but are encouraged to observe others results, attempt an experiment or two, and go check out anybody's efforts if convienent.

Otherwise, let those who have the inititive, and the gumption to attempt DIY do so without the benefit of any outside depressing influence from those who really do not aspire to much more than baseless criticisum.

A through read of the very few US A/V threads that have dwelt on debunking LF have all come from those who sell Mfg screens, or from those who have NEVER attempted a LF screen. 99% of the crappeola comes from only 2-3 people, all Canadians. That is why I spent MY own funds to bring not one, but several LF examples into Vancouver, BC to be judged by the Canucks themselves.

Of course, that REALLY incensed the Naysayers. :laugh:
    Thier response? Get nasty and personally degrading. I do my best to ignore such tripe, but sometimes I cannot, then I go "Mississippi" on 'em. doesn't really accomplish much though, except attract viewers to thier posts, mostly just to see my responses. In that sense, I've become too much of an AVS Icon for my own good, and in being so, attract many whose only goal is to discredit if possible.

It's a truly wicked bit of irony that my Home Life suffers, I make far less money helping others DIY, and developed Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, all the while being accused of selfish and grossly opportunistic motives.

You see, one of the things that really boggels the mind of anyone who sells something for a living is to see someone else offer up something competitive for "MUCH" less, or worse, devote considerable amounts of time & effort (...for free...) to countless others to educate and instruct then to produce such an item themselves. Certainly, in the Debunker's eyes and point of view, those who do so MUST have an ulterior motive, or are trying to mislead others, or any number of other foul intents or purposes. They cannot buy into the "Pay it forward" mentallity that helping others 'On Forum' is essentially all about.

No, all they can do is strive to post abusive posts, (...most of which the Moderators have closed down due to flagrant abusive content..., but NOT MINE, mind you...) in the hope that someone might but into thier point of view.

Can any of you guess who's winning? :p

For the record;

1. I'm a A/V Designer/Installer. Been so for 27 years.
    2. I have 26 A/V Dealers across the US & a few Off Shore as well.
    3. I individually trained each and everyone, "on Site'.
    4. I make a residual off every "Transducer" they sell.
    5. It is in my best interest to make them all bbecome succesfull.
    6.. 2 years ago, upon developing the interest in pursuing Front Projection, I started 'painting wall screens', perfected the methods required, and esspoused the same virtues to all my Dealers, while simultaneously offering up the exact same instructions to any/all comers "On Forum".
    7. Light Fusion aint no "Wall Paint" option. It is so much more that is does indeed instll intense passions on those who want it, as well as those who decry it's very existance.
    8. Naturally, all my Dealers are encouraged to produce and sell LF to any Customer they can. And they do so, at over $1000.00 a pop.
    9. Still, the instructions needed to make LF are conspiculously and publically posted so as to make LF available to the DIY'er who actually believes in DIY.
    10. I feel doing so absolves me from any accusations of having an ulterior motive, primarily because it has all been part of the "Public Record" , as well as the mere fact that I've never stated anything other than the fact that I'm a Businessman, and that I often use my Clients' as Guinee Pigs, (...but never at thier own "risk") for my ideas. Doing 5-7 local installations a month, and being able to exhibit my wares in major Trade Shows in front of "Hundreds of Thousands" of people from all walks of life, and receive the resulting comments "enmass' allows me to quickly evaluate the viability of any idea. I don't need the validation of Forum members, but having one's peers judge your ideas & efforts on thier true merits is one of Life's little rewards (...or arrows :eek: ).

Fortunately, no idea so pro-offered has tanked as of yet, so my overally record is very clean, has produced my Dealers and I mucho profit along the way, and yet a very many DIY Folks have received the benefit of acquiring the knowledge & materials required to allow them to DIY Light Fusion for considerably less than $1000.00

Yes, when others ask my to come into thier local and assist in the production of several Light Fusion screens at once, I charge expenses, and depending on circumstances, a small stipend per screen. It's certainly no money making endeavour, but of course, what goes around, comes around. People often show thier appreciation in many different ways. Some actually decide to become Invisible Stereo A/V Dealers. :clap: :smashin:

This too have been brought to bear as proof of my having an ulterior motive, but once again, primarily by those who are also in business, but have no such ammunition, bait, lure, whatever..., that can attract so many Folks from such varied walks of life to applications that they previously had never even considered.

Such success, especially when it comes along based on something here-to-fore dismissed as unworkable, and when offered up both for free and for profit, can ceratianly raise the ire of those not fortunate enough to be able to offer the "profit" aspect.

Too bad. I don't do "Green". :thumbsdow

Here are some answers to the posted comments below.

19. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    MM, i dont know what i did without you to brighten up my posting ways.

Certainly, a nice bit of backing would kill both avian issues with one small sedementary rock.

Methinks that some form of compressor is inevitable - so long as it isnt me, some paint in my mouth, and a straw, i think i may be heading somewhere.

Lets hope the bank manager agrees i shouldnt be using a double duvet sheet.

Stu

20. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    fhspacey,

any updates?

Stu

21. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have Mud. Am Waiting.

Shipments to Finland & Ireland have been accomodated.