Missions?! This is what Im thinking off.....Any reason why I shouldnt?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MrSkipsey, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MrSkipsey

MrSkipsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok,...Ive posted a few times asking questions and advice on products and now Im willing to commit money to product and would like a broader range of opinion. :lease:

Ive already had one :thumbsup: so hoping I can get a few more!!

I have....

Samsung PS50A556 plasma
    Sony BDP S350
    Xbox 360 & HD drive

Also on its way, courtesy of a forum member is a

Sony STR-DG710 amp

Now the speakers I am thinking of getting are

Fronts: Mission MV8
    Centre: Mission MVC
    Rears: Mission MV6
    Sub: Mission MVAS

Does anyway have any input, good or bad on this set up?

Do I really need the sub if the MV8's can produce the bass, albeit not at as low a frequecy?

Ill mostly be watching my blues on it and the digi-tv and occasionally be playing my music which is more Hip Hop and R&B with some Meatloaf, Bowie and Duran Duran thrown in!:eek:

Cheers guys.
    Mike.

2. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    For Blu-Ray and DVD IMHO a subwoofer is well worth it. Although not essential for stereo (cd's in my case), from the Hi-Fi connected to a input on the receiver, I appreciate the extra output of the sub and miss it on "direct" setting.

Perhaps its the same with all speaker manufacturers but I paid a fortune for Mission stereo speakers years ago and when I blew a driver I was almost embarrassed by the "loose change" cost of a pair of replacement drivers. I was convinced they bought in bulk from Amstrad!

They explained that the cabinet was the majority of the cost but the seemingly cheap cost of replacement drivers put me off Missions ever since.

If they had charged me more for the drivers our relationship may have still been intact.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  3. molly734

molly734
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have not heard these particular missions but as you can see from my signature I do like missions. Assuming that the speakers you have listed sound nice to you, I would make a couple of suggestions. Personally I would not use the smaller floor standers as rears but that is because I feel that rears are best wall mounted above ear level. Are there not any true surround speakers in that range? As for the sub, why not see what it all sounds like without a sub and then add one later if you feel that you need it. We ended up getting one because we watch alot of movies that make use of the lower frequencies and it does take some of the load off the amp which will give cleaner sound. But if you mostly listen to music you might not need it.

Have you considered the M3 range? You could put together a system in that range for about the same money if you start with the M34i's as fronts. I know that the surrounds in that range are terrific but they do need to be wall mounted. Perhaps you prefer the look of the range you are considering?

4. molly734

molly734
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :)

some of us would be relieved that the repair was not too costly you know! lol

5. MrSkipsey

MrSkipsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Im looking to get floor standers as opposed to wall mounted as the space is there for them. Also, the floor standers in relation to the height of the seating will be just above ear level.
    The look is very important and I was looking at other speakers in beech but have decided to go with black so that it matches the equipment.

6. molly734

molly734
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That was why we got black speakers as well. The equipment is black and the fireplace surround is black and the picture above the sofa has alot of black in it. The M3 series comes in black, cherry or beech.

So have you been able to listen to them? I have not been able to find any reviews. We actually bought ours without hearing them. It was a little scary but it turned out well. Can you return them if they do not sound right in your room?

7. MrSkipsey

MrSkipsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I havent heard them yet. Ive emailed a few companies to see if they are in stock and what type of discount they can offer if I buy them all in one go.

Once they get back to me Ill find out the pros and cons about returning them if they do not sound right. If Im unable to return them Ill have to go to the nearest store to hear them. But even then they will sound different from store to home.

8. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I looked at the MV series before settling on E34's. I have ordered a MV-C as a centre though which should match the E34's as it uses the same driver type, so can let you know what I think once it arrives (though with all the snow will probably not be today anymore).

They seem to have slipped under the radar like many recent mission speakers, which is a shame as many are excellent. Once ive had a look at the quality of the finish and set the MV-C up ill let you have full details on it, as I would imagine the rest of the MV range would be similar.

9. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Not sure if you've seen this: MISSION MV 5.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4202 for details

It's the full package, and at the bottom you can use the drop down to select MV6's or 8's as an upgrade. Id say you defo want a subwoofer as well, and for £517 (including MV8's) to get such a high quality speaker package is excellent!!

That gives you floortsanders good for moves and music, and a set of really nice matching speakers.

If I could do my surround speaker purchase over id no doubt get this set with MV8's, all speakers have excellent frequency response so your corssover could be set at 80Hz, and a 300W sub is nice.

Edit: saw you want floorstanding rears, give superfi a call as they should be able to do a decent deal with the package and MV6's and MV8's as upgrades, otherwise get some nice speaker standfs for the MV2's and just upgrade to MV8's at the front.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  10. Grayman

Grayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    In case you're still considering these, the MV-C arrived today. Havent set it up but from a quality perspective it looks very good, only small niggle is some of the finishing on the back of the grill isnt as neat as it could be, but it would never be seen anyway.

They look like high quality speakers and no doubt would have originally sold for a lot more than they are available now.

I can let you know how they sound, though given your room, amp, and other speakers are all different it probably wuldnt help much, but given the quality of the speaker, and the fact that the specification of all the speakers is very strong, go for them.