1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by siy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello chaps. Am moving house in a montha and could do with a bit of help.

I currently have a set of mission 774 floor standing speakers as my fronts - and I love them - don't really want to change them at all.

I also have the 77C centre speaker. However, my plasma has to go above the fireplace (unfortunately!), so the centre speaker will have to go on the fireplace shelf. problem is the 77C is a bit too deep.

Can anyone recommend another centre that will do the trick? I want a reasonable quality, though my system isnt that great (Sony 930 receiver/amp). I am looking for a centre that will look as nice as possible (the missus will only get stroppy otherwise!).

My Rears are the Mission Dipoles, sort of pyramid shape, that go on the wall. Should I keep these (they do look a little big ) or is there something a little less intrusive that could recommend?

Thanks all,
    Siy

2. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a question, your fireplace is not working, is it? Otherwise I'd be scared to put that plasma on it :nono:

Honestly, I would give it all a try before you decide to change anything, especially if you like your speakers. I have moved recently and could not take my floorstanders with me, which I have always regretted. If in then end nothing fits, you can always go for a tiny all-in-one solution like the kef eggs, etc.

3. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about removing the mantlepiece and fitting a larger one? You could probably get away with a bit if chunky MDF and when it's painted the same colour as the rest of the fireplace surround you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

My mantlepiece is about a foot wide, your centre speaker should fit on one that size.

4. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thelordmagus,

Thanks for the reply. The fireplace is working, but will very rarely be on...I do agree, but there really is no-where else for the plasma to go!

I will definitely keep the front speakers, but it looks like the centre will just be too big. I may take your suggestion and keep the rears though, as they do seem to wor pretty well.

So I may just need a centre that is smaller than my current one.

Any other suggestions appreciated though.

Cheers
    Siy

5. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike cummi, the mantlepiece is limestone surround all round, and is lovely - her indoors would NOT let me alter that!!! (I would if it were my choice though!), so I am stuck with a mantlepiece that is only about 6" wide.

6. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough, mine's only plastic or something. Aren't fireplaces a pain?

7. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about using the drivers from your existing speaker and buying/making a slimmer cabinet? Would it be possible to modify the existing cabinet to make it slimmer?

8. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well...I suppose that would be a possibility but well beyond my capability. Wouldn't know where to begin, and would end up ruining the speaker. I suppose it is made the size it is for a reason, and reducing the volume of the box will affect the sound.

Back to the drawing board I guess. Will have to take a look for a new smaller centre speaker that is wife friendly!

9. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it would be that difficult, ready made speaker cabinets in all shapes and sizes are available. check out the BK electronics website to start with. putting the drivers in another box may affect the sound but then if you buy a new speaker the sound will be different to your main fronts anyway. just an idea.

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    No chance of wall mounting the speaker above the mantle. I'm sure you'd be able to get a bracket so it looked like the speaker was floating.