1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission surrounds

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sandman, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    I have recently upgraded my fromt sound stage and now have a M7C1 centre speaker and M73 floorstading fronts, I also have a wharfedale diamond sub. It is now time to upgrade my rear speakers, I have an old pair of mission 735i's that I am using at the moment and I am thinking of changing them for Mission 77DS or Mission M7DS. Does anybody have any knowledge of these speakers? Will they give an improvement over my current set up? Where should these speakers be placed in the room i.e. on the back wall or on the side walls near the back wall? What is the difference between the 77DS and the M7DS? I can get the 77DS for £69 at hyperfi.com.

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 77DS are a bargain at that price and will be excellent performers at the side or back, use a couple of thin masonry pins to try different positions before you hide your wiring. if your already wired put short extension speaker wires on your existing wires 'til you find the best position.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First things first, it's http://www.hyperfi.co.uk (not hiperfi). Second of all, they don't have these speakers in stock, and told me they never will. The best thing to do is try and track them down brand new at a richer sounds store, or ex display at a Sevenoaks store. They'll be priced at £99

4. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    Thanks for the quick reply, is there any point in spending the extra to get the newer M7DS speakers?

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not heard the m7ds but a similar one to the 77 is them70ds and may be more available than the 77.

6. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    M7DS are very good speakers for the money, I auditioned them when putting my system together.

They should perform well in your system, but I imagine the 77ds would work equally well if you can find a pair (I couldn't and that was nearly a year ago!)

I ended up getting Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 80s as they will handle DVD-Audio in the future (dipole and bipole surrounds are designed to spread the sound, not for accurate soundstaging).

HTH
    Chez

7. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sandman,
    I have the full M72 speaker package which includes the M7DS and they're good surround speakers,envelope you with the sound.I have them behind my seating position fitted upside about 1ft from the ceiling and slightly wider setting than the front speakers.

HTH

johnski

8. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The M7DS are pretty good but the replacement for the 77DS is the M5DS. IMHO there is not much between the 77 and the M5 but both are better than the M7 - slightly more bass weight.

Not much in it - get the ones that best match your fronts.

Cheers
    Rob.

9. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I found a pair of 77DS's in the edinburgh richer sounds store, I got them for £90 as the box had been opened. They sound and look great on my rear wall. The store still has three brand new unopened sets for £99 if anybody is looking for a pair.

10. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sandman,

Did they happen to have a white pair?

Cheers
    Rob.

11. Sandman

Sandman