Mission Straight Line, any info?

James1314

Standard Member
Hello, I've recently found opportunities to purchase a Straight line integrated, which I'm very tempted by but I can't really seem to find out much about it, some love it, some hate it [review sites] mission's site has some basic specs but can anyone offer anything on this? I'm currently using a cyrus one however its borrowed and I'd like something with a little more power [electrically, rather than sonically] is the straight line a revision of the two or a cut down 3? or another thing entirely?
Or, does anyone suggest anything similar sounding but with a little more by way of bass (that the One feels to be a little lacking in with my tannoy 605's)?

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Novice Member
Hi there. I would agree that the Cyrus one is bass light and low powered. It is also not good at driving difficult loads.

However it is quite clean, detailed and musical so is not rubbish. How that Cyrus amp you're looking at will compare I don't know but the extra power will make a difference in grip and weight for sure.

If you like the sharp, incisive sound of the Cyrus One you would probably really like Naim and Exposure amps. Old Naim amps are still serviced by Naim so can offer a long-term solution, they'll drive anything and really rock and roll.

tremayne

Standard Member
Hi Mr Pig, you might be the one to answer my question which I have posed as a new thread..I have a Cyrus 111i driving a pair of mission m35i's..unfortunately amp trips at high volume and I am wondering if a power amp is my solution and i have suggested some on the thread as well as my source drivers..any info gratefully received..

James1314

Standard Member
After a little extra research turns out the straight line is an altered 111i (any good?) I may just go for a two, I did have a look at Naim but I wont be able to get on with DIN-puts (see what I did there? haha) as everything I'm using is RCA, but yes, the one is very nice, it's just that added bit 'oomph' I'm thinking an updated/ more powerful model should provide

Mr Pig

Novice Member
I have a Cyrus 111i which trips at high volume and I am wondering if a power amp is my solution.
Maybe but you need to check a few things first.

Usually it's a thermal trip that goes when the amp gets too hot, is that what's happening? If that's the case, and that's the only problem you have, then you need to be sure the amp isn't just getting too hot because of where it is.

People sometimes like to stack up their Hi-Fi but it's not a brilliant idea to stack amplifiers, or stick them in cabinets. They generate a lot of heat when working hard and if they can't get rid of it they may trip long before they should. Could this be what's happening?

If not, and it's still tripping, then generally a more powerful amplifier will help, but it's not just about power. It's also about how easily the amplifier can deal with the speakers it's driving. Some speakers are harder to drive than others and some amplifiers are better at driving difficult speakers than others. For example Naim amplifiers are very good at driving difficult speakers so often work well where other, seemingly similar, amplifiers struggle.

I don't know about your amp and speakers but a different amplifier, rather than just more of the same, might be a good solution.

Mr Pig

Novice Member
I did have a look at Naim but I wont be able to get on with DIN-puts
It's not so bad once you've made the switch. Once you have leads with DIN plugs on, or fitted DIN plugs you your existing ones, that's it. You don't need to think about it again unless you move away from Naim later. If you don't use a turntable it's really no big deal.

Newer Cyrus amps don't sound the same as the One. You might be fine with them but you might not. They are more laid back, I wouldn't want one.

tremayne

Standard Member
Thanks Mr.Pig for your input..sorry to barge in on this thread...I'm new at this and muddling my way around!!

James1314

Standard Member
Well, I've caved, Cyrus two for £99 (apparently serviced by mission in the past 5 years) now I've got myself a good phono stage I ought to look into a turn table for a nice future investment, I quite like the looks of a pro-ject debut III, something to save up for one day! Well, after the plethora of god only know what else I keep telling myself I'll save for!

Top Bottom