Mission speaker poor quality!!!!!!!!

M

martysport

I've had a Mission 73C for years now (I bought it when they 1st came out) It wasn't sounding as good as it used to so I took the cover off for a quick inspection to be horified that the foamy stuff on both drivers had fell off :eek: rendering the whole thing useless :mad:

The speakers are in a clean dry room and the drivers have NEVER been cleaned with anything let alone anything corrosive.

Has anyone else came across this before on Mission speakers? I also have a pair of 761i's on stands, again I've had those for years and the foam around the drivers on them is OK.

I did email Mission about the problem but they havn't replied :rolleyes:

I'll try and get some pictures up in a bit ;)

John7

This is normal for the foam suspension used in many "lower end" speakers

It degrades over time on exposure to air and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

There are kits available to carry out repairs (have a look on the 'Bay) or you can obtain a replacement driver (possibly) from the manufacturer.

For this reason, I always buy speakers that have a butyl rubber suspension - this is much less likely to degrade over time.

M

martysport

At the time the speaker was £179 :eek: I'd be slow to buy Mission again.

I've have plenty of 'El cheapo' speakers that are still OK :rotfl: I guess they use higher quality materials then the more expencive makes :devil:

Here's a couple of snaps :D

neilball

From the state of the surrounds I guess you've had them a while, I'm sure the originals were introduced in the early 90s so easily 15 years or more :) For this reason I doubt you'll get very far with Mission if you are looking for an foc remedy,you cannot argue that they did not provide decent service for a reasonable time. Mission themselves have been through several changes of ownership and are now part of a much bigger group.

You could get hold of another unit second-hand and there is currently one on the ever-popular auction site for £1+p&p

M

martysport

I got it when they came out and yep it was the early 90's
TBH it's not worth doing anything with it now.
I did have a look on Ebay for a foam repair kits as John7 sugested :smashin: But it would cost £20+

I have an old Sony SS-CN190 center speaker with a ******/damaged box, I put the drivers from that into the 73c :oops: It works OK and is only for my sons bedroom :devil:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You can buy generic surrounds for various sized speakers, and you can find YouTube videos showing you how to replace the surround. They key aspect of doing so it the glue, common glue will not work, you need either glue especially for speaker repair, or you need a common type of fabric glue.

I think the most popular fabric glue is the basic Aileen's glue, it is a white glue that looks very similar to common school glue or carpenter's glue, but holds tight and remains flexible.

Replacing surrounds it not that big a deal, though there are a few considerations to make. There are two types of surround, one is where the surround attaches to a flat horizontal section of the speaker. The other is where the surround attaches to a sloping section of the speaker cone.

If you do this yourself, it can be very cheap. I'm guessing £30. If you have a speaker repair shop do it, then perhaps £50 for a pair of speakers. (Just a guess.)

I don't think the speaker manufacturer's or speaker surround makers realized how quickly the foam surrounds would deteriorate. I think new foam surrounds hold up a lot better than the old ones. But, rubber surrounds are good for decades. I've got a pair of 12" woofers that are nearly 30 years old and the rubber surrounds are in pristine condition.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom