1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission speaker help needed (newbie)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by postie15, Jan 10, 2002.

1. postie15

postie15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am putting together a speaker package on a tight budget and would appreciate some advice.

Has anyone any thoughts on the relative merits of older Mission speakers such as the 701 (originally £160, but now £70) vs newer cheaper models such as the M71 or 771e?

Also any thoughts on how the 701's would match the 77c1 main sonically?
    Would the cheaper 70c1 be a better option?

Any comments appreciated, but please don't start suggesting too many other options, I have had a hard time narrowing things down so far!

Speakers will be run from a Denon 16/1802

2. robocook

robocook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a fanatical Mission owner I migrated from 773s with a 73c and 77ds's to 774s with the 73c and 77ds's and then on to a full 774/77c1/77ds (surround and rear surround) with a pair of 771e's in the lounge on the Hi-Fi and have always found the voicing from range to range to be very close - it's that "Mission" sound.

Richer Sounds are offering the 77c1 at £100 so is the 70c1 that much cheaper - and this way you'll have scope to upgrade later... it's an illness you can't help but upgrade.

3. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's an interesting point.

looking at the richer catalogue you could get the mission 700 for £50 plus the 70C1 for £50 and add some 77DS for £100 and assuming they match could have a basic package for £200 that would knock any other budget pack of that price. with perhaps a sub coming lata.

how would this sound though?! any ideas!?

4. robocook

robocook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For just £200 it will sound pretty damn good!

If you find the extra cash and go 771e/77c1/77ds you will need two wild horses to pull the smile off your face.

But whatever you; if you don't have a but DON'T borrow one as you'll never be happy until you get one... I had my brothers REL Q100e on loan in a 8x14 room with the 771e/77c1/77ds set-up and I couldn't bear to give the thing back.

5. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would quite like to go with the 77 combo

one question... would the 771e/77c1/77ds combo sound better than the new cinema 71 or 72 packages?!

I need to see if I can fit the 77s in my room as it's not that big (only about 12'x13'). I may have to compromise and go the sat/sub route.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    i've got the 771e, and they aren't that big....quite slimline...get your self to a hi-fi store and check them out, so you've seen them in the flesh.

mission 771e = small box, big sound

7. robocook

robocook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally with mjn on this small box, big sound - it's what Mission do best and have done for as long as I can remember. They should beat the 71 / 72 packages hands down - this was £600 worth of speakers after all - it's just now the stock is being cleared.

here are mine in a 8ft wide room so 12' x 13' luxury! :p

8. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks... very interesting.

in my set up i cannot use side walls for the surrounds. my sofa is flush to the rear wall and i currently have a large mirror on this wall above the sofa. how would the surrounds work? would another model (perhaps not bi-poles) work better and blend in?!

9. robocook

robocook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sofa on rear wall and big mirror is a bit of a problem I had the same find - with the added complication of French doors, a door into the kitchen, a radiator in the wrong place...

practical suggestions:

Mission can go up high and be turned upside down [ although best approach is ear level ] - how bigs the mirror!!!

Some people buy the white ones and mount them directly on the celling.

10. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mirror is about 3' high x 5' wide directly above sofa

i'm currently auditioning some mordaunt short's premiere sub/sat package as these are quite small, but so far am not overly impressed by them. according to mordaunt though they need 36 hours continual use to run in so need to wait a bit longer.