1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission rears - advice requested

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AMc, Nov 29, 2000.

1. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    I have Mission 702e floorstanders as fronts, an Eltax Symphony centre and some JBL Click1 rears which I want to replace. I want to try and match the fronts so I'm looking at more Mission 700 series
    The latest Richersounds catologue has bookshelf Mission 700 (£60), 701 (£80) or the Mission 70DS Bi-pole (£100).

I'd mostly be using them for Dolby Digital and DTS, rather than Prologic.

The question is, am I better off getting the dedicated bi-poles or would the cheaper bookshelf speakers be better as they have better bass handling?

I've read through the info and specs at http://www.mission.co.uk/
    and can't draw any firm conclusions.

Your help would be appreciated

AMc

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I've got 701's at the front and 70DS's at the rear and I'm pretty happy with them. The 70DS don't exactly ooze bass but they are ideal if you haven't got room for a pair of stand mounters. If you tend to listen to your movies fairly loud i'd go for the 701 as they have plenty of bass and a bit more presence. But bear in mind they are pretty big as bookshelf/standmounters go. Give them room.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's a very personal choice: Some people prefer di-/bipoles, others direct radiating speakers which are recommended for multichannel music (not that there are much good titles available ...).
    And others are lucky to have a Denon amp with rear speaker switching ... [​IMG]

Please audition yourself and decide then.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.
    I take your point about the 701 being quite big. I had a look at my 702e and realised the 701 is basically the same proportions minus the lower closed enclosure. I suspect my speaker brackets would take the weight but probably not the wall mounting itself!
    I'll take a look at the 700 at see if they're more manageable.

Obviously I'll have a listen before I part with cash, but rather than get the hard sell I thought I'd get a bit of non-commission based advice!

Cheers

AMc