Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mission or Monitor Audio

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wilders, Oct 22, 2003.

1. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Lads & lasses....

Im going to be buying new speaker next week, here's what I've got shortlisted

Mission Cinema m53 A/V Speaker Package - Beech £1,199.99

Monitor Audio s8 Beech £800
    Monitor Audio Silver SLCR Centre Speaker - Warm Beech £250
    Monitor Audio SFX I think around 250ish

So, around the same money, I suspect the Monitor Audio speakers are better quality, but they both score highly in reviews, so I need some feedback from you guys....

No sub with the Monitor Audio speakers, but looking at the s8, it looks like it may not need one....

I need to fill a room measuring 23' x 14', will be listening to music as much as watching films.

I will be driving these with a Yamaha amp which will be upgraded soonish, just wanted to get the best speakers and then look at amps around xmas should funds allow.

Any help, comments etc greatly appreciated.

Wil.

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd vote for the Mission M53 package, but that's probably coz I'm a Mission fan :smashin:

Seriously though, I have the M51 standmounts and these are terrific speakers and was tempted to get the M53's to use as fronts with the M51's as rears. The M53's will pump out loads of bass using twin drivers (though sadly only two way). I only use them to listen to music but many of the comments I've read seem to suggest that the M50 range excel at home cinema use, more so than for music.

I haven't heard the Monitor Audio stuff so you'll have to get someone else opinion on those!

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    You should be able to get a much better price for the Mission package due to the fact that they have been discontinued for over 3 months now and replaced by the Volare series.

4. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not discontinued but running alongside volare, the volare has a tweaked crossover to appeal to the more 'two channel' listener whilst the M5 keeps the grunt that makes it one of the best A/V packages around for the money, we have seen a surge in sales of M5, something of a late starter!

5. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Have new S6's and SLCR at home. I found them better than similar priced mission and B&W.

(B&W were nice bit lousy at low volumes).

Music I run with no sub, movies a small Kef 20b fills in.

BUT, go listen to them - you cant buy speakers on spec. I went out with Kef Q5's top of my list, they came dead last after I heard them.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Who have you been speaking to? The Volare range is a direct replacement of the M5 series. If this is incorrect then you had better let Bill from Mission know about it.

7. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    To be honest I was looking at the Volare series instead of the M53's as I prefer the wood looking fronts as opposed to the plastic silver on the 53's.
    I will go listen to them but just wanted to hear any horror stories or praise from people who have alreqady purchased.
    Thanks for the replies so far, any more appreciated.

8. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monitor Audio, no doubt at all.
    very good diverse speakers.
    but really in AV you want a sub just for the really low sounds somthing like a Rel Quake for £350 would just fill in that litle bit for you.

9. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Monitor Audio will wipe the floor with those Missions.
    A friend of mine has S8 and they are fabulous speakers - better then Mission 78 series if I'm honest.

You won't be disappointed.

Plus the Missions look awful (matter of taste I guess!)

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The MA S8's go down to 35Hz so if you are going to use a sub with them then I'd suggest using something that goes a lot lower than an REL Quake (which probably does little under 30Hz).

For the £350 the Quake would set you back you can pick up the BK XLS 200 sub (£280) which should drop to 25Hz or the Velodyne CHT10 which should go a bit lower again.

On the original question, I'd take the Monitor Audio's over the Missions every time.

Matt.

11. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting, I would still use the quake though it goes to 23Hz.

12. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure the Monitor Audio stuff would outperform the Missions, but that Mission speaker package includes a subwoofer, whereas the MA one doesn't. To add a decent sub to the MA set you'd be looking at a total price of around £1700-1800 vs £1200 for the Missions, bear this in mind!

13. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    I'd rather live without a sub and with speakers that do 35z for a while, and pick up a decent sub later. No point in buying a set of speakers just beacuse it comes with 1 more, if there all 'weak'.

Honestly though, the only way to tell if a speaker is right for you is to go listent to them.

All the reviews and advice in the word isnt worth anything because they dont use your ears.

14. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I've gone a tad over budget and got the following :

MA Silver S8's
    MA Silver Centre
    MA SFX rears
    And then a second hand 3801 to drive them

I gotta say they sound superb, well pleased, and I cant see the point of a sub as these (to me) already produce a very deep and tight bass.

I'm mainly watching movies with these speakers on a BD808s via HCPC, and I cannot fault them at all

All I need now is to soundproof my living room so my kids dont get shaken out of bed above!!!.....

So, cheers all for your advice....

Wil.

15. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That sounds like a really balanced and capable package, there is nothing in there I would not buy myself!

How long have you run them in for? The silver series speakers almost seem to change character a little after a good 50 hr run in, it would be interesting to know if you experience any changes.

16. wilders

wilders
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    They've probably had around 30 odd hours use so far, so very new still, will post after next week as I got a week off to give them a good test out.

17. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice - I bought S6 S1 SLCR before Xmas and they are fantastic - got a great deal too from DiscountElectrical......:D