1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission or MA ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by petarst, Oct 17, 2004.

1. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need your opinnions which system is better for DVD-a and Sacd , movies and stereo music.

MA silver series or Mission M5 series????

I will setup it on 2105 Denon receiver with Nad c272 amp.

thx to all who reply

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    MA silver series without a doubt. Which player are you using?

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I would second the Silver series. They are rather forward, though, so if you don't like this brighter kinda sound look elsewhere. By you're choice of amplification, it looks like you would prefer a warmer speaker, or not?

Russell

4. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using NAD cd 542 with ohlenbah 214hf cabel ( maybe is the other number of interconnect, but it is one of the best cable from them).
    What i want to say that i am not happy with the sound from receiver and because of that i want to add nad amp to drive a stereo across preout!
    Also i have listened NAD t753 and it is very good for stereo ,but it can't compare with Denon in surr. process. Now i think that this combo is perfect for Monitor Audio S series ( S8 fronts ).

And is the ASW100 from bronze serie woofer is good enough for movies?
    I like a worm sound by the way right now i have at my house M53 and MA s1 but i think that i will sell M53 and buy a s8?

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stick with the MA silvers Excellent sounding speakers IMHO.

John :)

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Monitor Audio. No question about it!

7. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think abought my hybrid combo? nad and denon ?
    One more S6 or S8 ?

thx to all who reply!

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I haven't heard the Denon, but Denon's "house sound" that I have heard errs on the warm side. NAD are very relaxed performers, normally with tons of power. The only thing I can say about NAD is that they are good value, but some find them too relaxed - too soft. Ultimately, the quality of sound from the NAD will almost certainly be better than the Denon, but will remove some of the bite the denon has regarding home cinema.

Regarding the S6 vs S8, that's a tougher question. I heard the S1's and a fantastic performer they were. The bass was handled by a sub and the effect was very pleasing. If you have a good sub, save some money and get a bookshelf model - you'll get all the qualities of the silver range at a fraction of the cost. I can't speak for the other silver models.

Russell

9. AndrewJ

AndrewJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Silver S6 fronts, Silver Center and S1 surrounds, and they are just lovely..... I was toying betwen these and the QEF Q series.... auditioned at length (3 hours in shop) and chose the MAs. They are also buli 1000% better than a lot of other stuff - real wood no plastic veneers!!

10. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And now there is no doubt for me it is MA !! As i have at my house MA S1 i will sell M53 and order a S8 speaker !

thx you all who reply !

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Choice :smashin:

John :)

12. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx John :thumbsup: , thx all ,

Or , I think that better combo is to buy a S6 and REL q150E woofer ?

For Russel - can you tell me friend is in S1 is the same tweeter and mid like in s6?

Then i don't need S8 right, i can save money for woofer?

thx :clap:

13. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes, the S1 and S6 use the same drivers, albeit in different configurations.
    Again, if you are going to buy a sub, do not go for a floorstander - there's no point! The sub will take care of bass better than a floorstander and you will have saved some dosh even after stands.
    It appears that you have a reasonable budget, here, especially if you were thinking about the S8. If you go for the S1's put some of that saved money for a better sub. I am not keen on the Q150, the B&W 675 and MJ Ref1 are much better in my opinion. A better sub would, to me, make more sense than floorstanders. This is especially true if you don't already have a sub. If it were me, I'd get the S1's and a B&W 675.

Russell

14. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    thx for reply. OK I will buy S1 speakers more.
    Russell, my dealer doesn't have right now B&W 675 on stock. It will be available in January. But they have a 650 on stock. Is it a good choice or not? My room is about 20 m2.

regards,
    Petar

15. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Petar,

No, the 650 is not the same beast as the 675. Either wait for January or look to some other manufacturers. MJ Acoustics make some good kit and, though I preferred the B&W, the MJ Acoustics Ref 1 does have a good performance. REL's Strata 5, should be on your list, too, though I haven't heard it myself. Of course there is always the import option. Both Rocket and SVS operate in the same manner in that they deal direct to the buyer thereby removing distribution costs. SVS have just recently introduced a new "budget" range that, frankly, will have a fair few people worried (link here . AV123's Rocket subwoofer (link here) looks good in wood finishes and not too big. Obviously each option's value depends on your location, power supply type and currency regards the dollar. Even so, these imported options do offer, on paper at least, better performance than “in shop” items costing a lot more. If you are happy with the import aspect, and don't mind not having a demo, then these two companies are worth looking at.

Russell

16. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Russell,

You are awesome Russell, and completly right. I will wait for 675, but 1000 euros it is a little bit to much ,but it worth i think.
    Based on your expiriance and on another people expiriance i will order that sub. :rotfl:

all the best for everybody that put some efforts to help me :smashin: