1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission Or Canton setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Slimchandi, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have recently purchased a new Pioneer amp (the VSX-C301) and have it set up with a Freeview box, DVD and Gamecube. Very nice so far.

The problem comes with speakers. I have a pair of Mission 702e's which I use for stereo hifi with Marantz CD/Amp, and I hooked these into the surround rig. I really like the sound of them, but they are partnered with small Pioneer speakers as surround, and (even worse) a similar centre speaker. I've read a lot of posts about having the same centre as L and R and I didn't believe how much difference it can make. The satellites are much quieter than the floorstanders, it almost just sounds like stereo, no surround at all!

My decision for speakers is to either build on the Mission set up (centre and sub, no room or funds or permission for bigger surrounds yet), or go for the Canton CD-1 setup which has caught my eye. I like the sound of the Missions so far with limited use in HC, and adding a centre and sub could only improve this. However, the Cantons will give me a better overall mix with surrounds, as the small Pio's can be replaced with small Cantons without the GF noticing!

Also, as a side, the Missions can be biwired (have four posts on the back). I know if If I only use one source not biwired I need to add the bridges between the two sets of terminals so both tweeter and woofer are fed. If I want to use both the HC and Hifi amp, is it ok to use different sources into the second set of terminals, and keep the bridges on? Will this damage anything?