Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mission or B&W

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by vep, Jan 23, 2003.

1. vep

vep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am deciding between the folowing setup for my home surround, which will be used for the movies and for stereo music as well:

MISSION

M51 (front)
    M5DS (rear-surround)
    M5C (center)

B&W

602 S3 (front)
    600 S3 (rear-surround)
    LCR60 S3 (center)

I will probably stick them to Yamaha 630 or Onkyo 600 receiver. At the time being i will skip the subwoofer (maybe latter) so the speakers must be able to replace it (i know it is not perfect). I breafly tested both of them with music (no surround) with Yamaha, but the high tones were too sharp for me(i think that is Yamaha's foult, but correct me if i am wrong). I don't know how they perform with movies.

Please help me with the decision. Of course any other speaker set up sugestions in the same price range are welcomed.

Thank you

2. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for my fronts i used to use b&w 603's and these were fantastic and well worth the extra money over the 602's. i have not heard any of the missions though.

3. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Just one thing - the LCR60S3 is designed to partner the 601's or 602.5's - the LCR600S3 is a partnering centre for the 602's. It's a massive centre though.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Not according to B&W it isn't ... "The twin 130mm (5½-in) drivers allow the LCR60 S3 to match the output capability of the smaller models in the range - DM600 S3, DM601 S3, DM602 S3 and DM602.5 S3 – for which it is the recommended centre speaker."

Oh ... and it's brilliant at it too :) One of the best centre speakers short of >£1000 for B&W HTM2 or KEF Reference.

I would slightly disagree with Dave too ... in the right environment the 602 can be a better speaker than the 603 which can be too imposing unless you have a larger room (larger than UK average I'd say). Personally I'd steer towards the B&W rather than the Missions.

Victoria

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    If you've narrowed it down to just two speaker combinations perhaps the best thing to do would be to try and arrange an extended demo...and go with what sounds best to you, after all you'll be living with them, so to speak.

spence

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    It may be what B&W say - but in reality the driver sizes are far better matched with the 602 and LCR600S3. At the end of the day B&W aren't going to say that a £200 centre won't work well with a £300 main pair, and that you have to buy the £350 centre instead. B&W only suggest the LCR600 with the 603 and 604, yet the 602 has a 180mm driver, whilst the 603 has a 165mm driver, the same size as the 601......the 604 has the same size 180mm driver as the 602.

It'll work fine - just that the LCR600 will work slightly better. You'll get no argument from me about the LCR60 though - I had one and it is a superb centre.

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    But it's not just about the size of the drivers.

As you say ... the 603 has the same size driver as the 601 and that the 602 has a bigger driver ... but beyond that you have to consider the construction of the cabinet which has a much bigger effect on the sound that the actual drivers. And anyway ... the LCR60 has TWO 130mm drivers where as the 602 only has one ... so that makes your comparisons irrelvant.

I can say that the LCR60 is very well matched with the 602s ... I've even had (to play) the LCR60 and 1 602 as left / right pair and it was difficult to tell anything was wrong accross the sound stage. I have listened to botht he LCR60 and the LCR600 and can honestly say I prefered the LCR60 too :)

Victoria

8. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Ah well - my friend and I demoed both the LCR60 and 600 with his 602's, and found the 600 by far the better partner. But that's not to say that that the LCR60 isn't a great centre, because it is - on that, at least, we agree

;)

I'm merely suggesting theat B&W aren't going tell people buying a £300 stereo pair that a single LCR at £200 isn't a good choice. Beyond that I stand by my opinion that the LCR600 is a better partner for the 602's.

:)

9. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Have you considered the new Monitor Audio silver series? I tried them against the B&Ws and found the MAs a lot more neutral-sounding.

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's Polk Audio recommendation time again. :D

They released the LSi series a few months back in the states and are supposedly available in the UK, so the selling price for the RTi series have come down in price, well at my local dealer they have.

These are a spanking speaker, great for music/movies, you won't get the shrill from it's tweeters either. Real wood cabinets and good looks.

In Polks range are bookshelf, standmounts and floorstanders.

They have monopoles, di-bi-poles and subs, and even floorstanders with there own subs.

Prices start from around £150 > £1000's