1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission, Mordaunt Short or Elac and Receiver combo?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rainbow6, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that's it really. I'm looking to buy a new home cinema system. I'm still oscillating between the Marantz 4300/5300 and the Yamaha RXV 540/640 receivers. But not being able to hear them hooked up to these speakers in Belfast, I'm at a loss. Can anyone say how these compare, especially the Mission m3s and the Mission 71 packages, the Mordaunt Short Premiers, and the Elac Cinema 1's? Space is important. The Mission 71's are about as big as we can go. And, any ideas on which receiver with these speakers?
    I've heard the MS Premiers hooked up to a Marantz 5300. I'm not entirely convinced of the weight of the receiver/speaker package together, or the fullness of sound, though Westy seems to think its possible the Marantz wasn't set up right. Haven't been able to audition anything else (just nothing else available to audition here in my local shops that's in my price range (about £800 for the whole thing) or size requirement. Any ideas?

Edit: Maybe I should have mentioned the Mission 70's and Aego 5's too. Dunno??? Room size is about 12x13 feet, though we hope to move to a bigger place soon.

I've already got a Tosh 220e DVD player and a Philips widescreen TV that's about 3 years old.

Thanks!!!!
    Jim

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    Was this a premiere or premiere plus system? The original sub always faced some criticism so we've built a beefier one! Set up correctly, this one has quite a lot of wallop.
    Don't know if that's any help, I just needed to get it off my chest :).

3. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was the original premier package. Are you one of the Plus package's developers? Would possibly be interested in the plus, but don't know where to buy it and it's possibly too expensive?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    I'm the technical support for MS. Premiere Plus is new and has a higher powered digital sub called the 309. The difference is quite impressive. Price currently for the pack is £550. Pls PM me if you want anymore info.