1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission m7ds rear speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by aqureshi, Oct 21, 2001.

1. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need to fix these speakers to the corners of my living room. Can any one recommend what is the best way(cost effectiv as well) of achieving this.

Cheers

2. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just fit two 2*1" battons across the corner gap.
    cut 45 degs at each end then screw them to the wall at each end through the 45 deg part.
    Should cost you almost nothing :)

3. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Thanks for the help, My wife is not happy fixing the speakers in the corners, instead she wants straight on the wall, i.e one side (vertical)touching the corner. Is there any harm putting these speakers straight on the wall. I only need to screw in 4 screws.

Cheers

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    When I tried some Eltax HT2s in the corners of my lounge, I found they acted very much like monopoles - I think this was because a lot of the sound was being reflected from the corner along the back wall.

Try placing them there temporarily to see what they sound like - it'll probably be quite good with two walls getting the rear effects from each speaker.

Gary.

5. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mission m7ds's and the best postion for these speakers is on the back wall. Especialy if your sofa is against the wall.
    set then about 1.5 meters from the ground and half a meter or so in from the sides.
    Sound great there. :)

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What Riddler said...

7. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Riddler, How about 2.3m from the ground. How did u fix yours. I was thinking screwing 2 screws and just hanging the speakers on those. OR id u buy any brackets.

Cheers

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I installed mine over the weekend ( on the side walls) by screwing two screws directly into the wall amd hanging the speaker on that. They come with some stick on "feet" to stop the speaker touching the wall directly.

It isn't always easy to try out a rear speaker like the M7DS before installing it as it means that you need a couple of people to stand there holding them whilst you watch a some films.

One of mine is on the side wall and only a couple of inches from the rear wall whilst the other is on the opposite side wall about eighteen inches in from the rear wall.

Sounds good to me and once they have run in should sound even better.

Ian

9. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just two course screws with large heads straight into the plaster board. (they are not heavy.)
    And that does the trick.

10. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont forget if you need them higher up the wall, you can turn then upside down so the higer fequencies come in your direction and not into the ceiling.

11. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian and Riddler for your valuable advice. I will be installing them high (about 2.3m from the ground) on the wall. My walls are concrete so need to drill. Thescrews you have mentioned Are they any special or I can buy them from any DIY(size?). Upside down means the logo will be upside down. Is that correct?

By the way which cable did you use. My local Shop person told me that use either 42 or 78 strands sas I have to buy at lease 28-30 meters. Are these cables OK for the rears.

Cheers

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    use any screws as long as the head is big enough to slip over the thingy on the speaker.

I used Ixos 607 flat cable at £1.79 per metre from hifibitz as I wanted to run it under the carpet but there has been an interesting thread in the last couple of days on uk.media.home-cinema newsgroup where the consensus of opinion is that expensive speaker cable is a waste of money and ordinary wiring cable is just as good. Some of the arguments are technical and way over my head but have a read and make your own mind up.

Ian

13. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use qed original (qudos) cable sounds ok to me costs £2.5 per meter but i paid £2.
    Its not as flexible as it could be.
    I suggest looking at the cable ian suggests.
    The ixos 607 low profile, its flexible and comes with sticky backing too.
    I also beleive that all this silly priced cable buissnes is crap. I could certainly never hear the diferences that certain mags claim to.
    Still each to there own.
    as long as you a reasonable cable i think youll be fine.
    p.s
    yes your logo will be upside down and i dont think it can be turn around.
    Mission have thankfully made provision for the speakers to be mounted either way up.
    Just check the heads of the screws you want to use in the slots.
    And when you work out the required length dont forget the extra distance the rubber mounting things add.

[ 23-10-2001: Message edited by: riddler ]

14. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You all forgot that the best thing about the Mission m7ds is that you can turn the logo upside down. :D

15. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The logo is stuck quite hard to the speakers. How did u manage to change the logo upside down

Cheers

16. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine wasn't stuck at all, it just sits there with a plastic spike keeping it attatched. Moved very easily. Pull it a bit harder and it'll come out eventually.