Mission m7ds placement in small room

J

JamesPA

I've got a pair of m7ds speakers for use as surrounds in my first 5.1 system. My question is where best to place them in my small room.

My room is 14' x 10', with sofa along the 14' wall opposite the TV. There is no space behind the sofa. The lefthand side of the sofa is 2' from the side wall.

Where best to put these bipolar speakers?

On the side walls mean they will either be forward of the listening position, or will be in-line but only a few inches from the rear wall. In addition, a doorway means they will have to be within 8" of the ceiling!

Or on the rear wall, but then because the lefthand side of the sofa is 2' from the side wall, the maximum distance between them is limited. Does this matter? Could I position them high on the rear wall high above the ends of the sofa, since they are bipoles?

Thanks for your comments.

Originally posted by JamesPA
On the side walls mean they will be forward of the listening position,

That should be OK

Could I position them high on the rear wall high above the ends of the sofa, since they are bipoles?

That should also be OK

Many thanks for the info Ian.

Looking at other threads on the forum, the side wall position seems to be the preferred option, so I think I'll try that first, albeit that the top of the speakers can't be more than 8" down from ceiling due to a doorway.

Ian, I understand that you have m7ds on the side walls in your setup - just wondering if you mount your speakers upside down? Or do the reflections from the ceiling mean it doesn't matter?

Thanks again.

Hello James looks like youve got the same problem as me ive not finished messing yet but have found that the rears for me sound better when they are lower down .Going to have a play later.

Originally posted by JamesPA
Ian, I understand that you have m7ds on the side walls in your setup - just wondering if you mount your speakers upside down? Or do the reflections from the ceiling mean it doesn't matter?

I don't know as it didn't occur to me to try it that way. Testing rear speaker placement high on walls isn't the easiest thing to do as you really need a couple of tall people holding them in place whilst you watch a few films.

Testing rear speaker placement high on walls isn't the easiest thing to do as you really need a couple of tall people holding them in place whilst you watch a few films.

Lol! That's the problem in a nutshell! I didn't want to keeping drilling holes in walls to try out each position, so I appreciate your positioning advice, cheers Ian.

Hi Bob. Your findings that the speakers sound better lower down are interesting. It'd be more convenient for me to be as near the ceiling as possible - I need to hide the cables (from the girlfriend :)) so was going to route them just under the coving then down a corner of the walls and under the carpet.

Like almost everyone, I guess, I might have to compromise some sound quality for practicalities - it will still sound fantastic compared to my old stereo system, I'm sure.

hi Jamespa
my m7ds are on my back wall high up' the tops of the speakers just under the coving .I was advised by hifi junkies to do this and imo sound great.They also look good as i managed to get the speaker cable behind the studing so theres no wires visibleat all.
gonzo.

Mine are behind my sofa on the back wall,up in the corners,placed the right way up.I think i'd have to change them to the side wall if i ever go for 6.1.But they sound fine where they are at the moment.

Hello done some more testing and still can't make my mind up at the moment they are high up on the side walls with very little space around them in the corners which cant be helping.I have been lowering them on string from the screws in the wall to try the different hights ajusting sound levels as they came down and they sounded better about 2 foot above head possition they just dont look very good that low down.I put them back up high and turned the volume of the rears up till i got a similar sound and then put the test tone on which was now far to high compared to the other speakers i think speaker brackets that could be pointed down might help i'll try that next string back out i think

I seem to recall reading that they perform at their best when at least one foot from the ceiling and the same distance from the back wall.

Like most people, I find speaker placement very much a compromise and whilst one of my rears is at the optimum distance, the other one isn't.

Are about six inches in and the same down, precisely to my left and right.

I thought that the idea from the speakers was that the diffused sound is less localised and therefore, you wont sit there saying..'ooh, thats clearly from that speaker.'

My dealer said you can pretty much place them anywhere due to the sound they offer, although I would be dubious about having them firing towards the screen in a small room, if you are sat on top of them.

Captain Benefit.

I now have the left rear more forward than the right so the speakers are in line with my ears when watching the tv this works a lot better than before because the left rear was behind and the other to the side.Oh yes pointing the speakers down didn't make that much diffence so its about 12" down from the ceiling flush to the wall and sounding fine now all i have got to do is find the best place for the fronts :eek:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for keeping us posted on the results of your experimentation - very useful info, cheers!

Just wondering how close are your rear speakers to the rear wall? If I put mine on the side walls in line with my head, they will only be 6" from the rear wall, which may not be ideal.

Left speaker is about 2 foot right speaker is up to the back wall due to no space at all 6" should be allright.

Personally, I have found the m7ds' sound far better when mounted upside down - image definition is better, as are dynamics - the whole sound has more 'punch'. Mine are mounted on the side walls just over two feet above ear level, and just slightly behind the seating position.

Got mine upside down they look better that way as well interesting to see that grannysmith got the 2 foot level as well can't get mine that low just above the doorway now

Loads of intersting info in this threads - thanks to all so far.

FWIW I'm going to try mounting on the side walls. One of them will be above a doorway (like Bob1), so only 8" below ceiling. They'll be upside-down. Now it _would_ be cool if the Mission logo could be reversed.... :)

Just to clarify - if the sofa isn't on the back wall and more towards the centre of the room, is the side wall still the best position for them, or the rear?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom