1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M7c1 and M7ds. Set to large or small?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bristol Pete, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    As in the subject line. This has appeared in the amp/rec forum and has got me thinking. Another Forum advises small as loud dynamic pass could damage drivers. Any opinions??

This is what Mission state but appreciate fellow DG'er advice.

Prakash, when of their tech/customer support guys advised that my centre the older M7c1 andthe M7ds rears could both be set to large as long as I am not watching at reference level.
    Quote ' As only domestic use only this should be ok.'

However, he also advised that if I wanted to I could set to small and set LFE c/o at 70hz as they drop this low, which apparently is lower than mid-range, heading towards bass levels. Is that correct ???

As I presently dont own a sub I have mine set to large and all 3 speakers seem fine.

Thanks.

Captain Benefit.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If a speaker is rated at 70Hz > 20KHz and you send it a 20Hz signal, it isn't going to damage the speaker, it will only output what it's designed to do, anything below the 70Hz will just be missing.

I have commented on your other points which are in the amp forum, no point in having two identical threads going in different forums.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    but please bare with me as I am still a relative new comer to home cinema ( 1 year-ish with DD51 and DTS etc).

So, basically, anything lower than the 70hz frequency will not be heard at the rear, if set to large, but if I set them to small, get a sub and set the C/O to 70hz or above, bearing in mind uncle erics point about 120hz, the sub will fire out the bass the rears cannot???

Also, if I go small, and stay with no sub (finances pending) will the LFE be redirected to the fronts ???

I am desperately trying to fine tune my set up, and this site has become invaluable to me....(johnny no mates !!!)

Thanks,

C.B

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If all seems fine, that's all that matters. You could try setting the rears to small though and any bass from the back will therefore be diverted to the front main speakers.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Ian says, bass will be diverted to the main speakers, now if they have a better rated frequency than the rears say 50Hz this would be better than setting them to large, I think the same would apply when setting the centre to small.

So to get the best out of your system without a sub try setting mains to large, centre and rears to small.

When you get a sub and set speakers to small and depending on the xover 70Hz/80Hz the sub will take over and cover up to those frequencies right down to what the sub can reproduce. Then when you play a soundtrack and a LF effect is needed to be produced from the rears, even though your rears are only set to handle 80Hz the sub takes over, and as bass is non directional at these frequencies it will give the illusion that the bass has originated from the rears.