1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M74s or not?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Vectraone, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should I buy a pair of Mission M74 floorstanding front speakers?

Having spent too long browsing these forums last year, I was persuaded to purchase a 36 inch Toshiba ZP18 TV which I have had for 6 months now and generally very pleased with.

I don’t have a separate amp and use the DD5.1 built into the TV. The centre speaker is also built into the TV (which I know is not great), front speakers are currently the Tosh satellites provided with the TV and rears are some B&W 601S2s, which I also use for my HiFi.

Being my first foray into the surround sound experience, I have been relatively satisfied with this setup until recently when I have noticed that there is hardly any bass. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want the kind of bass emitted from some 19 yr old's Vauxhall Corsa, but just a little deepness would be good.

The thing is, I have no idea whether just replacing the front Tosh satellites with the Missions is going to improve the sound or just be so incompatible, to make no improvement at all. How can I tell before shelling out the cash?

Please don’t tell me to buy a separate Amp (I know you will!) – I just don’t want to do this (cost, wife & kid, space etc) and I know the speakers are a complete miss match, but I’m not after that audiophile perfect sound experience just a reasonable surround sound.

I’m sure other people must be in this sort of position.

Should I buy the Missions?

Thanks

Colin.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Erm... you don't want an amp because of space concerns, but you do want a pair of massive floor standers?

Anyway... the only way you'll know if you should buy them is to have a listen to some. Go demo. If it's a bit of bass you're after, you can't really go wrong. Try them and see. You might even be happy enough with the M73's.

Highly recommended by myself though, as always.

3. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Pointon.

i know the the Missions aren't small but the TV is picture frame ie no side speakers built in, so it's width footprint is smaller than your average 36 incher.

Its under the TV thats short of space, having a video, DVD and Sat there already, there is no room for an Amp and centre speaker (I don't like the look of centre speakers on top of the tv). Thats why i'm short of space - more of a problem than the money or wife!

I'm also wondering whether the internal TV amp is powerful enough to drive the Missions?

Cheers

Colin.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Toshiba should be able to tell you that.

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Is there a subwoofer out?

You might be better off getting a decent second hand sub (REL Q50) or Paradigm from Richer Sounds. That way you get decent bass from an active sub (i.e. with built-in amplifier) rather than trying to drive floorstanders from the relatively weedy amp built-in to the TV.

Cheers,
    Liam

6. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FWIW I bought the 36ZP18 and set it up with the speakers that came with it and thought this was good but on the recommendation of people and after listening to my mates separates setup, i decide to make the plunge and go for the separate Mission Speakers.

I went out and bought the Mission M73 for fronts (slightly smaller and cheaper than the M74s) a M7C centre and M7DS rears. I went with the Yamaha RXV620 amp.

After setting them up, all i can say is 'wow'.
    The difference between separates and the Speakers that came with the toshiba 36ZP18 is uncomparable and was worth every penny.

I removed the glass shelves from the 36ZP18 stand and got the Amp under there with the dvd, vcr and STB. The centre as you say had to go ontop of the TV, but sits on top nicely and doesn't look out of place.

In regard to running the M74's through your tv without an amp i would not recommend this.
    If you are going to go with such powerfull speakers you really need a seperate Amp to drive them, using the tv to drive some M74's is a waste of money.

hth

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Always the best idea...

Have been trying to find some specs on the Toshiba, but haven't been able to find anything at all. I wouldn't think it would be able to drive such large speakers as the M74's, or even the M73's. Doesn't the Tosh have its own subwoofer? I know they're never that great, but maybe you might want to mess with this a bit and see if you can't improve things some.

8. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now look what you've done.

I told you guys not to try to convince me to buy an amp and what did you do?

So now i'm buying an amp and speakers.

I've shortlisted a couple of amps but a Denon 2802 amp is looking favourite (more difficult than deciding which TV to buy) althougth as Hammy Hamster used to say - thats another story - and for another forum.

As far as speakers are concerned the Mission M73 fronts and M7c centre is most likely (thanks Markster). Hoping to demo this all together early next week.

Markster, as you've got the same TV as me - did you go for the black or silver coloured centre speaker (given its got to sit on top of the TV) and I presume you bought the black (and not wood) M73 fronts (again mine will have to go right next to but either side of the TV - not ideal seperation i know but....) How does it all look together?

Thanks
    Colin.

PS Why isn't silver a colour choice on decent amps (to match the rest of my kit). Will now have to put up with gold or black!

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Blimey! You go from telling us not to convince you to buy an amp, to being ready to splash out on a Denon 2802!? Sounds to me you didn't need all that much convincing! What else do you have on your shortlist?

For that money I'd also be looking at demoing the Pioneer VSX-859RDS, the Yamaha RXV800RDS and the Sony STRDB1070 (which is silver ;) ). All are fantastic amps around the price range you seem to be looking at, and would go well with the Missions.

Speaking of the speakers, I readily recommend the m73's and the m7c1 centre, having both myself. If it's silver you want, HiFiBitz sell the m73 in an AV package with the m7c1 in silver and the m7ds rears also in silver (which can be attached to the wall and are very inconspicuous. The silver colouring is very nice. The beech versions of the M73's are extremely attractive speakers. I'd even call them, ahem, 'beautiful', at risk of sounding foolish.

Who ever invented all this silver malarky should be beaten, the ruddy dire clashing colours that make up my setup now.

10. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pointon thanks.

I started off looking at the Yamaha 620 amp (black only - boo)and it then er snow-balled. I did consider the sony 1070 (silver -yeah) but have read very mixed reviews and was sort of put off.

Haven't heard any bad reviews about the Denon but I'm also considering an Onkyo and a HK. Will look at the ones you suggest also.

Nice to know the speakers come recommended. M73s would look better in black i think as they are next to the silver and black backed Tosh TV but not sure about the center - silver to match the thin TV frame or black to match the M73s? Perhaps i should leave a message on the changing rooms forum!

i'm hoping to use the B&W 601S2s as rears as they are already ideally placed on the back wall and used for my HiFi which, by the way, I am now thinking of getting rid off - who uses cassettes any more?? - mine are in the loft.

Cheers
    Colin.

PS i can feel a question coming on about connecting all this up to my DVD,VCR, SAT and TV, but perhaps i should search the forums first!

11. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do a search for a member Doubledoom and also the word 'FAQ', and you should find all you need to know about connecting everything up. If this doesn't work throw in the word 'connection'. If this doesn't work I'm sure Doubledoom will be able to lay down his excellent FAQ once more.

12. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yep I use the Mission M73's with my TV and DVD player and are 100% satisfied, they are great speakers, I love the way they sound, they will be a huge upgrade over standard television speakers.

I am glad you have decided on an amplifier because they would NOT make decent sounds with out one.

13. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Markster, as you've got the same TV as me - did you go for the black or silver coloured centre speaker (given its got to sit on top of the TV) and I presume you bought the black (and not wood) M73 fronts (again mine will have to go right next to but either side of the TV - not ideal seperation i know but....) How does it all look together?
    --------------------------------

I went for the black centre speaker. I did consider the Silver but i didnt like it when i actually had it in front of me.
    Although the Tosh has a silver frame. The speaker stands out in silver far more so than the black. The black is the better choice imo.

Like you I dont have the space (tv in the corner of my room) so my M73's are also stood right next to my TV. I bought these speakers because they are fully sheilded and therefore they don't cause any problems with the picture you can stand them right next to the screen without any problem.

Re. the wood I in the end went for the M73's in beech. I was going for black but the beach is a superb colour and looks much better imo. Go check the black out against the beech and you will see what i mean :)

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I am surprised nobody has recommended you to try your B&W 601's on the front and the Toshiba's for surrounds, the B&W are a really good speaker, and may sound quite Basy on decent stands.

I also want some M74's, go for them they would sound just that little more Basy than the M73's.
    If you go for the M73's you may end up wanting a sub aftwer a while.
    But if you really want some great sounding Basy speakers go for the B&W 603's, they rock but are not cheap at about £550.