1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission m74i vs 773e??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by evildonut, Aug 1, 2003.

1. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Quick question: A mate has got an av system with old Technics for fronts, Mission m7C2 for centre and m7ds for surrounds. He's now in a position to upgrade his fronts.

The obvious choice are the m74i, but I haven't seen a review of these...

The reason why I throw in the 773es is because they can be bought cheap these days, but seeing as the drivers are different I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to mix them with the centre...

Comments welcome!

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Go for the 74i's. They will match the centre best and have lots of bass for AV work. Personally I don't rate the 773e's, particularly when strong bass is required.

3. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 773e,s and also have to say there is no bass at all[ a subwoofer is definetly needed if you own 773e,s]

4. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny that, I have a pair of 773es and I never complained about the bass, even though it cuts off at 45Hz or something... different tastes I guess!

Anyhoo, the drivers between the 773es and the m7c2 are quite different, so it is safer to go for the m74i, I was just wondering how the m74i fare on their own.

Thanks!

5. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same set up(m74i/mc72/m7ds x4).I went from M733i to the M74is,and yes...the 74i have great bass(all round better sound),and i am more than happy with the sound.
    IMO.......The M74i are a perfect choice.I got mine from Empiredirect about six months ago.I think they have a special offer on payment at the moment.

6. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have similar. M74's, 73c (5+yo version of m7c2), 70ds and m7c1 centre rear. My 73c matches quite well tonally with the M74's despite being several generations apart. The 70ds do the job and the m7c1 matches well with those. I'd never consider it for front centre duties though.

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The M74i gets my vote - simply a better speaker IMHO in every audible way (nods toward the Quad/773e Post).