1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M73s, Wharfedale 8.3s or something else?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kilobulb, Jul 20, 2003.

1. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just wanted to see if there was anything in the same price range as these two I should consider.
    Got a Yamaha HTR-5640 and a Velodyne VX-10 already.
    Want floor standers for the fronts.
    Looking to spend £300-£400 on all 5 speakers.
    Also is there a review of the Mission M33s anywhere? Or does anyone know of a place where i can demo them. Seems to be little info about on these, have mission made some duffers?

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    In the next couple of months i'm replacing the fronts, i'm also looking towards the m30 range .This might seem strange but i'm after a colour change and the cherry colour is what i'm after.As for sound never heard the Wharfedales but i do like my missions.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Compared these side by side. They're both very very good speakers, but the Wharfedales are the more refined IMHO.

Have you thought about the M74i and Diamond 8.4's? The M74i's can be had for £199 from http://www.prcdirect.co.uk , and the Diamond 8.4 for around £230 from http://www.superfi.co.uk .

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    If you are really lucky, and keep an eye out, you may be able to find some Mission M53's for £300, I have seen them for that price once. Although its more than you probably wanted to pay, it is half price (originally £600) and they will destroy any of the speakers mentioned in this thread...

There should be some knocking about for cheap, because they have been discontinued in favour of the Volare range.

EDIT: Oops, I saw you wanted to pay £400 on all 5 speakers, ah well :p

5. pjtownsend

pjtownsend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Although I can't provide you with a comparison between floorstanders, as with bob1 I like the Mission's a lot. I have a similar basic set-up to you and it all works together very well:

Amp: Yamaha DSP-AX630SE
    Sub: Velodyne VX-10

Centre: Mission M7c2 (£120)
    FloorStanders: Mission M73i (£135)
    Rears: Mission M72 (£80)

6. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the replies
    I've heard both the wharfedale 8.3s and the mission m73is the wharfedales seem to have a slight edge in sound on the missions but its very small and I prefer the look of the missions.
    M53s can be had for £299 ex display from a couple of Sevenoaks should anyone one want them. Don't think i can justify them even at that price considering the cost of the amp. Also would mean buying more expensive centre and maybe rears as well to get a tone match.

Still want to give the M33s a listen though as can see the m7 series dropping in price in a couple of months as mission discontinue them. Which is the apparent reason Empire direct have still not got stock of the M73is i ordered from them a month ago(Had them at special pricerunner price of £107).

pjtownsend: where did you get the m73is for £135?

7. pjtownsend

pjtownsend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got the M73i's from HiFiJunkies at the end of March this year, but I think they have recently (last month) gone out of business (or their site has disappeared at least)!! There were posts on here but nothing definite about what happened to them. Shame, as I thought their customer service was excellent.

8. MdB

MdB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pjtownsend,

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the VX-10 sub. I am assembling a new Mission based 5.1 system and am wondering what to do for a sub. I have m73i mains and m71i for the surrounds. Next up is the centre channel m7c2 to go with the Harman Kardon AVR430 I have on order.

My room is about 14' x 20' and I've blown enough on the rest of the system that I'd like to keep the cost of the sub down if I can. I've read some positive reviews on the Velodyne VX-10 but would love to hear what they sound like with the Missions.

Thanks,
    Martin

9. pjtownsend

pjtownsend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Martin,

I've only had my 5.1 set-up for about 6 months - having only had a Pro-Logic TV before. As a result this (and probably any) surround set-up is a vast improvement. However, I am very pleased with the set-up I have in what is an awkward layout of a lounge (probably about 16' x 24'), which as it is part of a flat means that there is a lot of spare space behind the seating positions.

The VX-10 sub fits in well with the Mission speakers - it seems to provide a 'tight' bass that ensures that the you hear the surrounds clearly, unlike boomy subs that seem to drown out the surround effects. In addition the VX-10 seems to really do it's job of complementing the surround sound rather than dominating it.

I've got the m7c2 centre speaker and it is certainly a solid speaker! My TV would have collapsed if I had tried to put it on top.

Hope that is of some help.

Paul

10. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi kilobulb,
    why not get the m33 package for about £360 @ leconcepts
    the m73 was good and im sure the m33 is as good as the older one..

11. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah i got the m33's a a little bit after my last post and am well pleased with them.
    Also I agree with pjtownsend the vx-10 does compliment the missions very well.