1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M73's or M74's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by A.L.F, Jan 4, 2002.

1. A.L.F

A.L.F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to upgrade my front speakers from the Mission M72's to something more substantial, my current setup is FR = M72's, CNT = M7C1, REARS = M71's. I was thinking of using the M72's as REAR speakers and upgrading the FRONTS to either the M73's or M74's. Does anyone have these speakers or have any experience with them? Cheers! :)

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As a fellow (budgeting) Mission devotee, I have the M73's as my main speakers. They are a fantastic pair of speakers, and certainly more substantial, as you say, than the stand-mounters.

Choosing between the M73 and M74 can't be that difficult a choice can it? With the M7C1 as your centre speaker (which I also have, as well as a Mission 77C1) and a M7* speaker providing surround sound, it may be best to stick with the same range of speaker. So the choice is simple really, go for the M73's, or spend a bit more on a bit more power and bass.

The M72's would me an interesting choice as surrounds... let me know how they perform if you do end up using them as such. I've been thinking about buying some for using as the same things, as I've made the choice not to use a sub until I can afford a decent model, and I might be interested if they give a little extra bass at the rear than dedicated surround speakers.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the set that won whathif product of the year 99/2000

get 773e fronts the 77c1 centre,and the 77ds surronds
    you could get the set for about £700 maby less. The fronts are not shielded so dont put them to close to the tv. DONT USE A NORMAL SET OF MISSIONS FOR YOUR REARS (Sorry left caps on)
    the 77ds are breath taking...

sean

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Sean especially since you can now get the mission 773e for £199 and the 77C1 for £99 from Richer Sounds. In my oppinion the 77 series are a much more refined range.

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My mate has the 773's. They're stunning speakers, but he tried using them with the M7C1 centre speaker and he reckons it was totally overwhelmed by the large main speakers. He bought the 77C1 centre instead, which fits much better. So he says. I have both centre speakers, and can't make my mind up which I prefer using.

I also have the 77DS rears, and they are quite superb. I was just interested in the thought of using main speakers as surrounds. I wasn't actually advising you to rely on your M72's as rears, A.L.F., but you sounded as though you were going to try it anyway, so I just wanted to know how it sounded when you did try it.

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't have missions but i do use a main stereo pair of speakers for my rears

i use the same pair of speakers as a centre and the same speakers (only the floor stander versions with an extra driver for more bass) for my main left rights

most saythis is not the way to do it but i am more than happy . i think it gives a very even full bodied sound field and you can't get a better tonal match inmyop:)

7. A.L.F

A.L.F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for everyone's feedback :) . I tryed the M72's as REARS and they sounded pretty good, my brother came up for xmas and said he preferred his M7D's though. I cannot afford a decent SUB at the moment so would the M74's be a better bet?, I did look at the 773e's but they would have to go quite close to the TV so I'll have to pass on those. Thanks once again!

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you're after maximum bass from your speakers then the M74's are going to deliver more than the M73's. Depends on how much bass you want, or how much you're prepared to settle for.

BTW, the best prices I've found for this speaker series have been on QED's website. Great service too.

9. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm having the same dilema. The mission 77 series for £400 at RS looks a right bargin but I like the small m7c1, which is a better match with the m7* series. It seems a bit crazy to let my descision go on size but my wife won't allow the center on the top of the TV.

Is the m7ds comparable (better) than the 77ds? Also, is the M73/4 shielded?

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 77C1 isn't really designed to go on top of a TV. I place my centre speaker underneath the TV. One, for aesthetic reasons as I don't think centre speakers look all that great on top of a TV, and two, because underneath the TV situates the centre at the same height as my main speakers at eye level (yes my TV is quite high), which makes a whole lot of difference.

The M7C1 measures 135H X 500W X 125D mm.
    The 77C1 measures 172H X 422W X 195D mm.

It doesn't really make a difference if you have a dedicated space to hold the centre speaker, instead of slapping it on top of the TV. And the 77C1 is a better speaker.

From what I've heard of the M7ds, they are very good rear speakers, and I think they have the same qualities as the 77ds, and as great a pair of rears that they are, the 77ds is simply just a better speaker in my opinion. And if you can buy the 77ds seperately from RS for the same price as the M7ds... I know which one I'd point you towards.

They are fully magnetically shielded too.

11. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks pointon

The 135H of the M7C1 mean's it will fit quite nicely into my TV stand, however I could ditch this eventually for a dedicated AV stand.

Another question: Would the 773 be harder to drive than the M73/4. I have a Marantz 4200 ( 70 WPC)

12. geezajob

geezajob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 4x M74s (2 front, 2 surround) and 2 x M7ds (bi pole rears) connected to my Denon AVC10-SE and think they're great .. far far better than the 4x Mission 702e that I had before

(remember to take the screens off the front, as they mute the treble slightly)