1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M73

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Radioactive__Man, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Anyone using these floorstanders with a top end Yamaha amp?

I have decided that my 783's are way overkill for my current setup and was intrigued by the £150 price tag on these, cosmetically they look very similarto my 783's, but how do they rate sonically with no sub and a Yammy AX series amp?

Obviously I will audition before I buy, but your experiences are welcomed.

I do intend to get a sub when funds are available :)

AX-1
    WHo8B RPTV
    SD210E DVD
    77 series rears & rear centre
    78 series front centre

note:- I will not be using this setup for Audio CD's, only HC

2. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 783's are not an overkill for the AX1. Maybe a full set of 801 nautiluses is an overkill, but not a pair of 783's

M73's are basically M72's with bigger cabinets, and the m72's are bigger versions of the m71's, which I had, and are very good...

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Believe what you want Pegface, but I know that the 783's cannot be driven to anywhere near there potential without slapping 2 Cyrus monoblocs onto it, as I currently have.

Even then, it doesn't compare to being driven by my Aca7 Pre-amp. Now to my mind the 783's are not being used to their potential, thus overkill !!!!

"M73 bigger than M72 which is bigger than M71", hmm, thanks for your advice :)

Could the next poster be a bit more helpful please

4. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe what you want Pegface, but I know that the 783's cannot be driven to anywhere near there potential without slapping 2 Cyrus monoblocs onto it, as I currently have.

Please lose the "your a stupid teenager and I know everything attitude"

I have heard the 78 series range, and apart from the side mounted base drivers which i think loose the directionality of the bass, they are very good.

The DSP AX-1 has about 100w of true power, which comes out at about 30 amps, which is more than enough to control the 783's, it was more than enough to control my old 753's aswell, The amps in the AX1 and the new AZ1 are the same bar a few minor tweaks as the ones in the A1, 3090 and the 2070.

However, the amps in the cyrus are preobally better than the A*1 series, but remember its a multichannel amp, not a 2 channel amp, the caps/PSU etc are all shared, so what do you expect

If you want improvement get some quality poweramps and put them on the pre outs of your AX1...

"M73 bigger than M72 which is bigger than M71", hmm, thanks for your advice

The M73's are M72's with an extended cabinet, they have the same drive units... The m71 has smaller drive units, and that is, a very good speaker... but the 783 will whip the pants of the m73, and the m73 is not a good enough speaker to really put on your AX1... try the 77 series...

the AX1 has one of the best pre stages around. very quiet, with Burrbon Brown DAC's, which are used by Mark Levinson.. I'm also of the view at the moment that the AX1 pre is as good as the tag av 32r, but a showdown with a local friend will clarify my right/wrong...

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think you need to get your head out of the technical specs and realise that I have actually lived with these speakers and amp for over a year. The speakers were originally bought for my dedicated CD setup. Therefor, I am in a much better position than you to determine what is good and what is not. in reference to the above products.

I have no problems with your age, and the detail you have gone into on the M series speakers is fine but not what I am looking for, as I have already read the relevant web pages myself.

I need/value comments from people who actually own this setup or a similar one.

See my 1st reply and note, that is what I am already using !

I really don't want to get into a slanging match with you, but please realise that your reply was of no use to me whatsoever

6. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HiFi is electronics.

Why dont you go and get a personal demonstration of the speakers in a hifi shop.

Everything electronic has a spec. Its spec is what it is. You cannot say that spec's are totally irrelevant to the thing. The personal perception of interpreting spec's into an opinion is resolved by going and having a personal demonstration. Spec's are mathmatics, and mathmatics is universal.

if you seem to think you have the best perception of these speakers why do you ask on these forums.

Do not justify yourself and denounce my words by claiming that the last topic was a slagging match. If you try and take me on I will provide you with more information that you can handle.

7. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    For all the reading that you obviously do, do you actually understand what people write in these threads?

I intend to go for a dem [see original post!] if I get a basic repsonse from a user who has experienced them and not just read about them.

My perception is of my current 783's and Yamaha amp not the M73 [see original post !], You seemed to disagree at my opinion that these were overkill, when you obviously have had little or no real world experience of either models.

I am not looking for statistics, I am looking for real world experience, when you grow up you will realise that you cannot believe everything you read in the brochures.

You are an obnoxious and argumentative individual, who it has been my great displeasure to converse with in these forums, I should have expected as much by your "hi, I'm only 17 and I've got a better display system than most of you"

Your bad manners are matched only by your arrogance and in this case ignorance

8. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My perception is of my current 783's and Yamaha amp not the M73 [see original post !], You seemed to disagree at my opinion that these were overkill, when you obviously have had little or no real world experience of either models.

I own a DSPA1 which is practically your model and I know the 78 series well, shame its not up to the match of the 75 series...

You are an obnoxious and argumentative individual, who it has been my great displeasure to converse with in these forums, I should have expected as much by your "hi, I'm only 17 and I've got a better display system than most of you"

your right, I do, cheers!

Your bad manners are matched only by your arrogance and in this case ignorance

I dont belive I was particularly rude, i'm just telling you how it is, yourself on the otherhand..

9. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Is this really all this forum has to offer ?

10. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and

I am not looking for statistics, I am looking for real world experience, when you grow up you will realise that you cannot believe everything you read in the brochures.

The chances are I have forgotton more than you'll ever know when it comes to home truths with hifi, the nature of the employment of the managerial people of these forums prohibits me from saying any more here..

11. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You can now add presumptuous to your rapidly expanding list of talents :)

How on earth can you make such a rash statement, are you Borg ?

12. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can now add presumptuous to your rapidly expanding list of talents

You'll note "The chances are" is what i said rahter than "I have"

So theyrfore it is you that is presumptious

13. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    someone please rescue me from this hooligan,

I am so out of my depth - not :)

jeeez my # of posts is fair goin up :)

14. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    someone please rescue me from this hooligan,

I am so out of my depth - not

jeeez my # of posts is fair goin up

Looks like someone cant take a heated discussion... I dont see why you value your post count.

I will then simply say

The AX1 is not a poor AV amplifier. Its amplifiers are of good quality. The Cyrus will be a better, cleaner amp... the 783 is no where near pushing the limits of what the AX1 can handle, the pre stage is superb, and the power stage is acceptable.

My Advice to you would be to split the system up like you suggest, put the 783's with the cyrus somewhere else, or combine them by getting 3 pairs of 783's, loosing those crappy centre channels, geting full range 783's theyre instead, and then either living with the AX1 amps or getting more poweramps off the preouts, all identical mind, for a fully balanced DD/DTS soundstage...

Dont bother with M7x series, its no where near the quality level that the Ax1 deserves...

15. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ooh, I think I 'm warming to you now, that is your 1st post with anything constructive to say regarding the hardware.

Just to clarify, I do realise the AX-1 is not as good as a HiFi pre/power setup, also I don't actually think I said that the AX-1 was a poor AV amp. I bought it knowing full well it was an AV amp, but I honestly didn't expect the drop in sonic 2 channel ability to be so great.

To put it simply, I want my music back, and that is why I want to have a dedicated CD system. My problem is replacing the 783's with a decent pair of floorstanders on a very small budget, the M73's looked similar in design and I am curious as to how they would perform with my Yamaha setup.

16. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What i suggest and stand by is the AX1 with power amps ontop will be better than any pre/power solution...

its the amps that stop the Ax1 being world number 1...

Try something from the eltax range, they have a VERY good value for money ratio

17. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ok, take your point but HC needs uniformity [god did I really say that!]

Every other speaker in my setup is Mission :(

18. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uniformity is the key in a HC setup, and having speakers of the same make but different models just aint good enough!

why not get another pait of 77 series, I've seen a pair of 774's on ebay....

and with regards to centre speakers, loose them mate, they just take away all the bass that comes from the centre channel...

19. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I don't follow the logic here, I have a 78C1 front centre and a 77C1 rear centre for 6.1, why would I want to lose them exactly ?

20. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the centre channels in a dolby digital/DTS soundtrack are full range from 40hz to 20khz+

your 78c/77c can only go as low as 75 odd hz...

your loosing all your central bass...

and its not 6.1, its more 5.1.1 with the matrix....

21. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I don't send the such low bass to my centre, I have the frequency cut-off set in the Yamaha menu for the centre channel, and send all bass to the main fronts.

Are you implying that the centre channel has unique bass sent to it by the DD/DTS decoder ?, surely it is a downmix of the main stereo channel,

If you have in depth knowledge in this area I am all ears, I don't imply for a moment that I know everything about DD/DTS decoding, but I feel I may have missed something by the nature of your reply.

I can't think why bass of this nature would be directed to the centre [dialogue] channel anyhow, I was always of the impression that the centre speaker was there to convey dialogue and "lock" the listeners attention towards the central viewing area of the screen. This was certainly the case when I 1st got into AV when we had the wonderful Dolby Surround, Then Pro-Logic.

I suppose evolution now dictates that the centre channel is asked to do a lot more sonically, than when it first appeared in a domestic setup.

22. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, thats exactly what i'm implying...

its not a dialogue channel, its a centre channel, motorbikes or cars when they vroom pass dont cut out on the centre speaker! listen, you should be able to see!

bass is directional down to 40hz, you'll hear the bass on the centre channel!

i'm doing it now with 5 idetical kef refrence series speakers! its theyre, and the full range is wonderful!

23. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Oh well, looks like I and most AV enthusiast have really messed up by buying centre channel speakers that are not fit to do the job. Boy do I feel like a chump for spending £600 on mine !

You'd think a company like Mission would realise that they are producing speakers that are unfit for purpose.

What frequency, in your opinion does a centre channel speaker have to achieve, to let people hear 5.1/DTS reproduced as it was intended.

Maybe you should write to speaker manufacturers and point this glaring fact out to them.

24. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well

there is asthetics... who wants a 773 as a centre channel, it would block the TV... another thing is they dont sell them sepratly, you'd have one spare... besides, the wife would go nuts...

You'd think a company like Mission would realise that they are producing speakers that are unfit for purpose.

Most companies do it, i have not met a half decent centre speaker yet...

What frequency, in your opinion does a centre channel speaker have to achieve, to let people hear 5.1/DTS reproduced as it was intended.

35hz to 20khz+

Maybe you should write to speaker manufacturers and point this glaring fact out to them.

they make more profit with centre's than two full sized speakers... and this games all about profit...

25. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent read all of this thread because i gave up!!

Anyway back to the question:

Mission M73
    Anyone using these floorstanders with a top end Yamaha amp?

I bought these as fronts with the Yamaha 620 receiver. Ipaid £137 for them and think they are amazing.
    The sound is superb and they look brilliant in the room (beech)
    I cannot recommend them enough for the price.
    For rears i am using the M7DS which together creates a perfect sound imo.

26. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Markster: Where did you get your m73 from for £137 and do you use a sub or not. Thanks in advance

27. pegFACE

pegFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    god save that imo

i recommend you read the whole thread mate... gets a little heated in the middle but the facts come out at the end

28. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wilf

"Markster: Where did you get your m73 from for £137 and do you use a sub or not. Thanks in advance"

I bought them from www.qed-uk.com free delivery too.

In regard to the sub i have been a little confused about the advice I have read about this.

The M73's provide good bass already but everyone always recommend a separate sub, however I haven't been able to find a sub suitably recommended to go with my new misson setup.

I was reading a post where someone else with the M73's bought a £200 sub from richersounds and it made no difference at all to him, he took it back and has done without a separate sub.

I suspect that a sub to compliment these new m73's needs to be a more modern/expensive one.
    Although I do have my doubts that spending £500 on a sub is really going to be worth it!!!!