1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M73 Sounding Harsh

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hunkiemunkey, Aug 19, 2003.

1. hunkiemunkey

hunkiemunkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

I have had a pair of MIssion M73's for over a year, and in April purchased a Sony DB780 Receiver to go with them. The problem is, the speakers sound so clear that they almost sound harsh (they can also sound cold on certain music - I have noticed this because I recently bought some Mission M71 and they sounds fantastic - really warm and smooth) and on high volumes, the treble seems to have a lisp. This has only happened since I got the receiver.

Is there any way to stop this/tone it down or make the sound warmer by some tweaks on the receiver?

I use my Samsung DVD511 to play CD's (Truly awful for CD's - will be replacing soon!) and this is connect to the receiver by Optical Cable. Could the DVD player be the problem?

Thanks John.

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yeh dvd is probably the problem, altho my dislike for mission m7 series is because the treble can get lispy.
    optical cables vary tremendously- the freebie ones are completely awful. get a black rhodium silver grey optical one for £30 or so and it will literally transform the sound...no kidding

3. Kenny Bradley

Kenny Bradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry for replying to such an old post but I was searching the archives because I have a very similar problem with a pair of Mission 702e front speakers and a Sony STR-DB830 Av amp.

With certain music the treble sounds annoyingly bright. It seems out of sync with the rest of the music and really stands out.

I know my set up is far from ideal for music but I expected much better. My old JVC compact system sounded much better and it was a fraction of the price.

John, did you ever find the source of your problem?

Does anyone have any idea why my set up sounds like this?

Cheers Kenny

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    I looked at these speakers back in the 90s when they were released and must say I always thought the 702e's were a little light on the base and can be harsh on the treble. I considered buying them again when richer sounds had them for £90 but decided my electronics would amplify the problem and so went for the M74i instead (though they were almost double the price :( )

5. hunkiemunkey

hunkiemunkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the root of it was the DVD player... but personally I don't notice it anymore. Maybe it was a "breaking in" phase?

6. Kenny Bradley

Kenny Bradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys.

So what speaker would you recommend for a smoother sound. Unfortunatley my location means I can't visit any demo rooms.

I think the problem lies with the amp or the speakers or a combination of the two. I have tried a different CD source and it didn't make any difference and I know previous sterios have sounded ok in the room so I don't think it's accoustics. Has anyone else noticed this problem with the Sony AV amps?

Thanks again, Kenny

7. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've used a Sony TA-FE230 amp in the past (my first seperates amp) and found it to be a bit harsh and forward in the treble using Mission m70s. I then moved up to a Yamaha HTR-5540RDS AV surround amp and added Mission m30s for rear speakers. Then, ditched the Yamaha and m30s for a NAD C320BEE stereo amp - getting the speakers all positioned optimally in my small room was a pain. The result is a much more open and detailed sound that is certainly warmer in terms of treble.

I'd look at a different amp - Yamaha were certainly warmer than Sony and the main reason for me ditching the Yamaha/m30s was that I wanted better music/stereo performance, as I listen to more music than movies. Apart from that, I really had no complaints about the Yamaha. Not sure what Pioneer are like for warmth - give them a listen too.

CD sources can make a difference - I certainly got a warmer sound from my NAD C521BEE than the Sony RCD-W3 that I used for a while with my Yamaha. I still have the NAD CDP - an excellent machine!

8. mcsdan

mcsdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have some missions M33 and M34i's that sound harsh in my rooms. I have upgraded my amp since from Denon 1905 to Arcam AVR300 which has made a big difference. However as an intermediate solution before the arcam I taped some tissue paper over the tweeters. Made a big difference with the denon amp. Taken off for the arcam though. Costs pennies and worth a try.

Dan

9. mcsdan

mcsdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Also connect the DVD as analogue so to see what the difference is between analogue and digitial. I have always preferred analogue unless there is a major difference in quality of amp DACS and DVD. Only your ears can tell.

Dan