1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M73 or M74

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nickyvicar, Sep 13, 2002.

1. nickyvicar

nickyvicar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can anyone please offer any advice on the relative merits of either a pair of Mission M73 at £105 (Empiredirect) or, Mission M74 at £210 (Richersounds), to be used with Yamaha AX620, Jamo 100 centre and Mission M77DS rears in a smallish room.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically the M74s are bigger, both physically and soundwise (they'll go louder and deeper into the bass regions).

For most, the loudness is totally irrelevant, it's just the extra bass which is the deciding factor (as both are capable of volume levels far in excess of what most people would want in a domestic situation).
    personally I'd probably save the money and go for the M73s out of the two, especially in a small room, but then if you want that extra bit of bass....... (although you'd be better buying a subwoofer for that).

No idea how well either will match your centre speaker though!
    Richer Sounds do several decent floorstanders at or around £100 - why not pop in with your centre speaker and see which you feel matches the best?

The only other thing I'd mention is that the Missions are both rear ported - they aren't designed to be placed right up against the wall. Front ported designs are usually better for that (although some of them don't like being placed right up against the wall either, but they are usually happier than rear ported units)

3. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might also be worth checking the physical size on the Mission website,I was set to get the M74's till I realised their size and that they wouldn't fit where I had intended.
    If you were willing to spend £210 on the M74's then why get the M73's instead along with the M7C2 centre,a bit over the £210 but would be a better match.
    My room is roughly 10ftx12ft and the M73's make more than enough bass for that.

4. wheelers_deals

wheelers_deals
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MikeK makes a very good point here, I have a pair of m73s, bi-wired and ballasted, in a room 20ft by 13ft set approximately 12" from an external wall and they do give way too much bass (and I do like bass) without being 'bunged'. I have the bungs (supplied with the speakers) fully inserted and they give great performance (coupled with an m7as sub, centre and m7ds rears) with both movies and music.

Therefore, IMO, the m74s could be OTT for your needs and you may want to think about a front ported speaker such as the Wharfdale 8.3s (I would have certainly looked at these if they had been available when I bought).

Good luck!