1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission M73 bass response

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AndyDodds, May 8, 2003.

1. AndyDodds

AndyDodds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am using the above speakers as fronts in my HC system at the moment. My concern is the evenness of bass distribution across the room. In HC mode the bass is excellent but whn playing CDs I notice a considerable difference in bass as i move across the room. The speakers are 2 metres apart and 50cm from the wall, away from corners. They are mass filled and the bungs are not in the rear port. If i stand in the middle between the speakers, 2 metres in front the bass is quite light. If i move to the right of the right speaker the bass is much more pronounced. There is a large wooden hi-fi cabinet immediately to the right of the right speaker, could this be "swallowing" the bass frequencies in this area??
    Any ideas?

Cheers Gents and Ladies

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried different positioning options for your speakers? Try moving them closer to the wall, toe them in towards your listening area, move them away from your HIFI rack etc.

Also check the settings on your AV amp and make sure your speaker settings are set to large as this will send ALL the bass information to your M73's. The sub may also be deactivated for music playback so the bass may not be as strong for music as it is for movies (I think).

3. AndyDodds

AndyDodds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate,
    i've toe'd them in a little to experiment. I can't move them sideways, no space. The sub is OFF as I sold it a while back. There is a n opinion on this forum that without a sub the difference is significant. After owning a REL q-50 for 3 years i sold it and use my M73's. I still have to turn the LFE channel on My3802 down by 2-4 dB. I think subs are worthwhile but in a semi i don't miss it.

Andy

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Andy.

a) Room resonances are likely to be playing their usual tricks here.

b) With all due respect (and i remeber the Q50 as being a great sub) realistically it probably wasn't going that much lower than your missions anyway.
    Were you to compare having to have not with something capable of doing the scary stuff (lower than 20hz) without having to turn it up then i believe you might have a different view.

Steve.

A common trait i have come across over more recent years is that there are very few sub's that will go below 20hz happily and indeed nicely, and when you get one there is a "dawning of realisation/seeing of the light".
    Those that would say this is not so, as a rule have not had the opportunity to become "a believer".
    These very low frequencies are and can be very genuinely scarey/frightening when the volume starts to go up - this is in NO way an exaggeration.
    This is the only time you will ever see/hear me quote such an "americanism" but a 14hz tone at 110db will by the very definition "rock your world" (urgh!!! i am still not sure i am comfortable in "saying" that!)

Keep the faith my brothers.
    25hz???? why that's practically treble.

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    As per Steve this sounds like room acoustics... with the area to the right of the right speaker, you've already identified, possibly being an ideal listening position...assuming you can organise the rest of the room around this point.
    Sub wise i used to think of this channel as the "icing on the cake", but the arrival of a CHT-15 has moved me into the "most important" channel camp. While it seems odd i could see myself upgrading to something in the HGS/DD range even though, cost wise, such a sub would make a mockery of the rest of my budget gear.

6. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the m73`s only go down to 50hz.

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also check that your speakers are cabled up correctly (ie amp+ to speaker+, amp- to speaker- ).

While it's very unlikely, it's not unknown for speakers to be wired incorrectly inside - it's fairly easy to check it though using a small battery and couple of pieces of wire!
    Before doing that though, and assuming the cabling is correct, try reversing the cabling on one speaker only!

While it's hard to say for sure, what you've described sounds like the speakers might be out of phase with each other. Could be room effects though, as others have said!

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    And probably with poor output at that frequency, my vx10 makes a masive difference to my m73's which i thought were quite good till i got a sub.

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As i recall and this is going back a few years we found the Q50 to be useful to around 35hz in our testings/room.

Steve.

10. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That sounds very pessamistic Steve - REL's figures for the Q50 were 20Hz +/-3dB in room (this was before they started using +/-6dB figures). Back in those days the Q200 came in at 25Hz +/-3db.

Whichever way you look at it, the Q50 goes lower than the likes of the Quake, Q150 and Q200 models and certainly goes a lot lower than a pair of Mission M73's.

Matt.

11. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Matt.
    Can i add that my two Rel Storms started losing interest at 30hz and were all out below 25hz.

Steve.

I may be wrong about the Q50 but 35 is t he figure at the back of my mind, i will double check this with my associate.

12. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Could this, again, be down to room acoustics...my CHT runs out around 30Hz despite +/-3dB being specc'd at 23Hz. While other CHT users seem to have no problem hitting 23Hz in spec.

13. grainge

grainge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with reference to the above i have a set fr Mission M73 as fronts with the following.
    Arcam AVR200
    Arcam DV88
    Cyrus centre
    no rears at moment(Using tv prologic speakers)

Is it worth me changing my current £350 centre cyrus speaker for a Mission centre speaker so that it was matched. And if so which one as the web sites HT series do not include a set up that incorporates the Mission M73.
    So my question is should i and will it be worth while changing my centre for a cheaper one but matching, Is there a matching centre for the M73's and which rears would be better M5ds or M7ds as I was told the M5ds were better.
    Hope you can shed some light on this as your obviously using the M73
    Thanks alot.

Nick

14. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have had the M7c2 right from it was first relased, it is the matching center for the M73 speakers. The M7c2 is much better then the prevous M7c1.

The M7c2 is quite big, a shade wider than a standard 21 inch television. It has two mid cones and a silk dome tweeter in the centre.

It is ported and you can plug it with the supplied foam bungs if you want to use it sealed.

A 350 pound Cyrus center should shound good, but it can only be your ears that tell if the M7c2 center intergrates better.